Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    [[Side note....why does this bus stop sign say "Parking Allowed"? Don't all DDOT bus stop signs say "no standing"?)
    The signs are twisted on the pole, and facing the wrong direction. The actual bus stop sign, which is mounted higher on the pole and out of the picture, is supposed to face east toward oncoming traffic, and the Parking Allowed sign is supposed to face west, indicating that parking is allowed starting on the west side of the bus stop. Parking immediately past a bus stop sign is usually legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    Cliffy & Al have points.

As sad as it is, many great ideas just do not meet the legal and/or regulatory standards expected. Someone from the school should have had the sense to ask permission from DDOT before they even started. Unfortunately, these benches may be unsafe or difficult to maintain & DDOT may not want to be responsible for them. For example, I could easily see a kid get injured by the big plastic door with sharp corners. Or, once winter comes, I could easily see the bench getting severely damaged by plows pushing snow right at them [[I remember seeing where plows ruined DDOT shelters by pushing snow into them).

Don't get me wrong, I think these kids are great. However, an adult should have done some thinking. And unfortunately, not everyone will want to go along with ideas that help others. As a silly analogy, if I set up a hundred tents in Hart Plaza so the homeless aren't exposed to the elements, it wouldn't surprise me if the city wanted a say [[or asked me to remove them). Would that make the city "heartless" or me irresponsible for not asking first?
    Beg forgiveness is a better approach sometimes. In our pathetic world, DDOT couldn't possibly say yes. The 'adult' here no doubt realized that. So they got something done by just taking action. This feels more like protest to me. Good job.

Terrible. DDOT needs to get its head out of its ass.

SMART also does not have benches at many of their stops. I guess it's okay for them to go to Birmingham and erect these reading benches without anyone's permission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2