Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

If Heidelberg is truly a significant art project why have I never heard of any place else copying of improving on the concept? In most cases people look at it as an oddity, but not something they would want in their own neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Yeah and I don't really oppose it either. I just think it is worthless and am not saddened by the burning of the house. The only thing about this story that annoys me is the act of arson.
    That's not my point, why do people feel I oppose it???? Django, you up yet?

If I read another negative point about Heidelberg Project, I will personnally come to your house, drag you out, tie you to a tree and staple Teddy Bears and Tonka Trucks over your vinyl siding while you watch...

Ok Canuck, let's do it again but this time put more emotion into it...

Speed, rolling...Action!

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    If I read another negative point about Heidelberg Project, I will personnally come to your house, drag you out, tie you to a tree and staple Teddy Bears and Tonka Trucks over your vinyl siding while you watch...

Ok Canuck, let's do it again but this time put more emotion into it...

Speed, rolling...Action!
    Good luck. My house is brick and Warren police will actually respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Good luck. My house is brick and Warren police will actually respond.
    That's why there's Warren peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    That's why there's Warren peace.

Lol, Nice.

I like Heidelburg except for the stuffed animal house, that creeps me. I see art and whimsy in everything else.

Just imagine, in a few more years you will visit "The Henry Ford", and there it will be, The Heidelburg Project!

The cool thing about the Heidelburg Project is that you can superimpose your own meaning over it. Like all great art, it asks to be interpreted, and yet no interpretation ever seems to be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Just imagine, in a few more years you will visit "The Henry Ford", and there it will be, The Heidelburg Project!
    I don't know if anyone remembers, but Tyree Guyton did a month long exhibit @ the DIA. By invitation.

I don't know if anyone remembers, but Tyree Guyton did a month long exhibit @ the DIA. By invitation.
    Not only that, but last year he was invited, and served, a one-year arts residency, in Switzerland.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    Not only that, but last year he was invited, and served, a one-year arts residency, in Switzerland.
    Whether you like his work or not, art being subjective, you can't deny he has a quite a following. Just connect the dots.

Whether you like his work or not, art being subjective, you can't deny he has a quite a following. Just connect the dots.

Charles Manson had a following, doesn't validate his work.

It smells when you start pulling things out of your a$$. You're comparing Tyree Guydon to Charles Manson? Why don't you try Adolph Hitler, he had a following too? Gimme a break, you don't like his stuff, you don't like his stuff, but let's not get stupid. Thanx.

Shollin Guest

Whether his stuff is good or not, he put his art on property he doesn't own and imposed it on the neighborhood.

It smells when you start pulling things out of your a$$. You're comparing Tyree Guydon to Charles Manson? Why don't you try Adolph Hitler, he had a following too? Gimme a break, you don't like his stuff, you don't like his stuff, but let's not get stupid. Thanx.
    It's called hyperbole you idiot. I did not compare him to Manson I simply stated that they both had followings, but I think we all know that just because a few idiots like what you do doesn't make it good.

It's called hyperbole you idiot. I did not compare him to Manson I simply stated that they both had followings, but I think we all know that just because a few idiots like what you do doesn't make it good.
    First off, I really don't care for Tyree's art style. I like some of it, some of it is pure genius, most of it is meh, to me. But I like what he's doing, what he's done, and can certainly tell the difference between an artist and a vandal destroying private property. Your starting to let your hatred of Tyree Guyton and his art interfere with your train of thought. I do know what hyperbole is, thank you, none the less,it was a dumb-ass comparison.

Actually, that's exactly what it does.

For that matter, Manson is still releasing music and people are still buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Whether his stuff is good or not, he put his art on property he doesn't own and imposed it on the neighborhood.
    You're doing the same thing on this forum, but I doubt anyone would call it art.

Maybe Tyree's art would not be Tyree's art if he owned the canvas. That may be part of the secret ingredient. I don't think Tyree even knows why he does it. I think he did it, and made up "explanations" later. His stuff is like an apocalyptic Disneyland: Colorful, well used, well loved, things left to the elements like there was some nuclear war which turned people into shadows, just leaving the "things" behind. An army of shoes with the people incinerated where they stood. Or it's an echo of Dudley Randall's poem "Ballad of Birmingham"

... Then lifted out a shoe.
    “O, here’s the shoe my baby wore,
    But, baby, where are you?”

Or you could create interpretations of individual groupings that he has had there. All the art is exposed to the elements. All of it is temporary, though it is all so big and colorful it looks permanent. But it is only the mad man's fixed idea that keeps it that way. I remember in year's past there was a circle of drinking fountains. Normally, people might gather around a drinking fountain or water cooler to talk, but here was a grouping of water fountains. What would they talk about?

A poet could go in there and animate all those objects with words. Another poet could go in there and animate them with wholly other words and wholly different meanings. Someone less articulate might go in there and feel the totemic power, but be unable to do anything but take pictures.

Ha ha, unless, my pet peeve, Tyree still does not allow people to stand on public property and take pictures of other things on public property.

And some hate it. Some love it. All feel the power. Some of the people who lived in the neighborhood hated it. You have to sympathize with them. Others loved it. Controversy. And at it's heart, an unknowable truth, an unknowable truth that is nevertheless in all our hearts.

I know it is written on your heart, because you can't stop talking about it.
    Last edited by RickBeall; May-11-13 at 06:09 PM.

Bravo RickBeall, splendidly put together!

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Actually, that's exactly what it does.

For that matter, Manson is still releasing music and people are still buying it.
    Please tell me you didn't just confuse Marilyn Manson with Charles Manson.

First off, I really don't care for Tyree's art style. I like some of it, some of it is pure genius, most of it is meh, to me. But I like what he's doing, what he's done, and can certainly tell the difference between an artist and a vandal destroying private property. Your starting to let your hatred of Tyree Guyton and his art interfere with your train of thought. I do know what hyperbole is, thank you, none the less,it was a dumb-ass comparison.
    I don't hate Tyree, I have no feelings either way. I just stated I do not like his art and said that just because some people like it doesn't mean it is good. You are the one who seemed to take this way too friggen personal. Get over yourself dude.

Sorry Honky Tonk, I misspoke, I thought you posted you did not like the project.

So we've met on Belle Isle, I met so many people during that time I doubt I could place your face as I worked with a lot of kids down there. That was a great time in my life.

Sholin, I dont live in Warren or Sterling Heights because I certainly wouldnt be welcome. I enjoy the freedom of Detroit, we are a rare breed that can see the beauty in the decay. Most people like the security and neatness of the suburbs obviously but I am not one of those people.

This site used to be Detroiters talking about Detroit and not so much looking down the nose from suburbanites. Used to be a lot of fun and a lot friendlier.

I hereby declare the Heidelberg beautiful and thats that.

I don't hate Tyree, I have no feelings either way. I just stated I do not like his art and said that just because some people like it doesn't mean it is good. You are the one who seemed to take this way too friggen personal. Get over yourself dude.
    I have a few suggestions that you can do with yourself too.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-13-13 at 04:24 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast