Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    Glad to know that disrupting what could be a productive debate is your idea of how to "have some fun shaking things up."
    Now you may not have followed the whole conversation. Off and on, over the last few months, several of us have been trying to have conversations about race -- maybe just the kind of conversations you'd like to see! But it seems like every fucking time we start talking about racism, a platoon of white homeboys wades into rhetorical debate with no more knowledge of racism than perhaps a mandatory summer reading assignment of "Native Son." This has been going on a long time. Maybe you missed the big buildup to this week's throwdown. Who knows?

But what I've learned is this: These people really aren't interested in having an earnest discussion about race. So, what I've learned is to address posters like Canuck, Brizee and EastSideAl with a certain decorum and to basically laugh at such posters as Shollin, Bham and, to a lesser extent, HonkyTonk. [[Honk has some smart things to say in other topics from time to time.)

Oh, and I posted a picture of the KKK. Big deal. Last time I did that another poster on this board sent me a personal message to say "THANK YOU for posting something funny to break the tension and monotony and defensiveness." Isn't that rich, Downtown Lady? Seems to me that my shtick gets some laughs. Maybe you lack a sense of humor!

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    I'm not trying to moderate anything or demand that people discuss things "properly" [[although this semi-attempt at an ad hominem attack is precious). I am merely trying to stop the bullshit and the drama from disrupting what could be an intellectual discussion. Maybe another board somewhere will appreciate your KKK-slander thrown around at innocent people but I find it to be incredibly ridiculous and lazy thinking.
    No, what you're doing is basically hopping into the middle of a long-running discussion and being, frankly, a nag?

We already tried having that high-toned discussion about race. It was interrupted not by me, but by the people who'd deny that white racism exists. And so we've been having what some people call a vigorous discussion. And it's been a fun brawl. It has included a lot of things that you'd probably consider in poor taste: satire, overstatement, double talk, brief plays, invented characters [[Mr. Rizzo, anyone?), and much, much more. It has been a rich and engaging and entertaining discussion -- also known as an argument.

Detroiters aren't known for their polite chatter. DetroitYES is many things, but it is not the Algonquin Round Table. If you don't like the tone of posts or the quality of discussion, why don't you just butt out and move on, lady?

Alternatively, join in and have some fun mixing it up.

Im not sure arabs/chaldeans consider themselves white. I would be surprised if they treat blacks and whites much different

Wow, you go to such lengths to condone your bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Now you may not have followed the whole conversation....Maybe you missed the big buildup to this week's throwdown. Who knows?
    No, I'm pretty good at keeping up.

These people really aren't interested in having an earnest discussion about race. So, what I've learned is...to basically laugh at such posters as Shollin, Bham and, to a lesser extent, HonkyTonk. [[Honk has some smart things to say in other topics from time to time.)
    So how do your antics differentiate you from any of the posters that you listed? Do you think your bullshit makes you appear clever? Here's a hint: it doesn't.

Oh, and I posted a picture of the KKK. Big deal.
    Yes, big deal, who cares? Nothing incendiary about telling somebody they're part of the KKK. That's like classic comedy gold right there.

Seems to me that my shtick gets some laughs. Maybe you lack a sense of humor!
    Maybe you're not as funny as you think you are.

No, what you're doing is basically hopping into the middle of a long-running discussion and being, frankly, a nag?
    I have as much right to participate in this discussion as you do. And because I am calling out your bullshit for what it is I'm a nag? Aw, that's cute.

We already tried having that high-toned discussion about race. It was interrupted not by me, but by the people who'd deny that white racism exists. And so we've been having what some people call a vigorous discussion. And it's been a fun brawl. It has included a lot of things that you'd probably consider in poor taste: satire, overstatement, double talk, brief plays, invented characters [[Mr. Rizzo, anyone?), and much, much more. It has been a rich and engaging and entertaining discussion -- also known as an argument.
    I highly doubt that you conducted yourself in a different manner on a different thread on race. I have been reading this board very thoroughly for many years. I'm glad though that you brought up again the notion of people denying that white racism exists. Because you leveled that same charge several times in this very thread, yet I don't see one person that implied any such thing.

Detroiters aren't known for their polite chatter. DetroitYES is many things, but it is not the Algonquin Round Table. If you don't like the tone of posts or the quality of discussion, why don't you just butt out and move on, lady?
    Yes, as I've lived in Detroit much longer than you have, I am well aware of what Detroiters are and are not known for. I don't expect polite chatter. Nor do I expect ridiculous, drama-queenish histrionics and bullshit. As for your invitation for me to move on, I extend the same invitation to you.

It's nice to see people judging, not only others posts, but their mental capabilities, posting tasteless and unsubstantiated photos and comments, accusing people of unspeakable crimes against humanity, instructing people who disagree with them to leave, and consider their posts "just having jolly good fun". I guess the anonymity of the internet does make some of us legends in our own mind. I'm done taking the bait. Not talking about the Downtown Lady.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-03-13 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    It is due, in part, to one man - Mike George.

http://www.georgeenterprises.com/ind...e-sr&Itemid=70
    More to the story then that. Those people show up everyday open their stores and work. Maybe it's behind bulletproof glass but the stores are open for business when they're supposed to be.

You know a thread's going to be microwave popcorn-worthy when Detroitnerd posts in it.

This one certainly didn't disappoint.

...snip...
    White people don't flee majority black neighborhoods because they're racist. But if black people come to town to work out a better deal for black people, it's not because they want to make the world a better place, but because they really, really hate white people and want to drag them down with them.
    I really am trying to follow your logic. I heard a panel of black leaders once say that racism requires social power... as such there is no such thing as black on white racism -- because you can't oppress when you don't have power. I don't agree, but I wonder what you think?

Also, do you think its possible for people to be people -- not black nor white? Or is it impossible to just be a person?

GET.OVER.IT! I'm white as a snowman's ass, and I usually don't get bagged up, either. It's standard procedure, not racial. A "standoff" ?? Over a non-bagging at a party store?? I'm pretty sure the cashier didn't consider it a standoff. Give me a break.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5