Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by ggcanfield View Post
    More details here:
    http://www.stewardshipnetwork.org/at...AT%20STORY.PDF

"The habitat restoration will include a wide range of features, including new shallows that will sometimes be exposed [[a boon to shorebirds), additional woody debris [[“Trees are like the coral reefs of fresh water,” comments Crawford), snake hibernacula in upland areas, and sandy beach areas for turtle nests. Outside the new openings will be partly submerged boulders, to protect the tip from floating ice and irresponsible jet skiers. Fish species, including the targeted Northern Pike, Yellow Perch, and Gizzard Shad, will enjoy moderated water temperatures and higher oxygen levels."
    Ok, so I hate to admit it, but while I am familiar with the entire city including the outlying neighborhoods as I have friends and co-workers all over the D and I go downtown and visit mid-town at least once a month....I have never made the trip across McArthur Bridge. I know...silly but embarrassingly true. My Fiance' has been there numerous times, and we have intended to go but have gotten bogged down at Atwater brewery once or twice.

To say I fish a lot is putting it mildly. To put my addiction into perspective...I have a garage that would put most bait and tackle shops to shame.

The developments at Belle Isle that cater to a guy like me have moved that place up to the front of the line of places I would like to fish. The Detroit River is considered by many to be a world class walleye fishery, but most of that type of fishing is done by guys with boats. I don't have a boat, at least not one that is viable for that river. I can see what's happening on the island drawing in folks like me who are happy to show up with a few rods and a picnic basket.

Who knows, maybe something like an annual shore fishing tournament could be held there...I have organized such events in the past.

The bottom line is that if more developments along these lines are made at Belle Isle, it could add to the diversity of people coming to the city. Not just fisherman, but people who do things like bird watching at Pointe Moulliee and others would come in greater numbers than they do already.

Detroit needs more jobs, better services, and a re-investment in infrastructure, but let's not forget about developing the natural resources as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ypsifly View Post
    Ok, so I hate to admit it, but while I am familiar with the entire city including the outlying neighborhoods as I have friends and co-workers all over the D and I go downtown and visit mid-town at least once a month....I have never made the trip across McArthur Bridge. I know...silly but embarrassingly true. My Fiance' has been there numerous times, and we have intended to go but have gotten bogged down at Atwater brewery once or twice.

To say I fish a lot is putting it mildly. To put my addiction into perspective...I have a garage that would put most bait and tackle shops to shame.

The developments at Belle Isle that cater to a guy like me have moved that place up to the front of the line of places I would like to fish. The Detroit River is considered by many to be a world class walleye fishery, but most of that type of fishing is done by guys with boats. I don't have a boat, at least not one that is viable for that river. I can see what's happening on the island drawing in folks like me who are happy to show up with a few rods and a picnic basket.

Who knows, maybe something like an annual shore fishing tournament could be held there...I have organized such events in the past.

The bottom line is that if more developments along these lines are made at Belle Isle, it could add to the diversity of people coming to the city. Not just fisherman, but people who do things like bird watching at Pointe Moulliee and others would come in greater numbers than they do already.

Detroit needs more jobs, better services, and a re-investment in infrastructure, but let's not forget about developing the natural resources as well.
    The Silver Bass should start running about this week, through the end of May. Don't miss it.

Thanks for the tip!

I usually hit the white/silver bass run on the Huron River starting in late March through early June before the water temp goes above 65f. Two nights ago I got into a couple dozen fishing below Belleville Dam on white jigs and spinners fished high in the water column in slack water.

I know they carry on a little later in the D River...another reason to hit Belle Isle, its deep enough with cold currents that lengthen spawning seasons longer than the shallow water tributaries such as the Huron and Clinton Rivers that warm up a little quicker.

Thanks again for the heads up!

I've lurked on this site for a few years or so, never thought I would be trading fishing info just a few days after finally registering.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
    Is Frederick Law Olmsted spinning in his grave?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Not at all... When Fredrick Law Olmsted designed Belle Isle Park, it was only at about 600 acres. The eastern and western ends of the island did not even exist, and therefore were never designed by Olmstead. The entire Scott Fountain, with basin and western tip of the island were first built in the early to mid 1920s... and the eastern end with the Blue Heron Lagoon and Livingston Lighthouse came a little later.

The 2 ends of the island were built up from materials excavated for building downtown Detroit's skyscraper boom from 1920-29. Even the much maligned concrete paddock area of the island didn't exist in Olmstead's time.

Belle Isle is now at 982 acres.
    This is not even a fraction of what has been done to Belle Isle that would irk Olmstead. Olmstead's plan for Belle Isle was very simple. The short version of what he warned the city not to do with the island is what they did with it... and he was right.

Thanks for the tip!

I usually hit the white/silver bass run on the Huron River starting in late March through early June before the water temp goes above 65f. Two nights ago I got into a couple dozen fishing below Belleville Dam on white jigs and spinners fished high in the water column in slack water.

I know they carry on a little later in the D River...another reason to hit Belle Isle, its deep enough with cold currents that lengthen spawning seasons longer than the shallow water tributaries such as the Huron and Clinton Rivers that warm up a little quicker.

Thanks again for the heads up!

I've lurked on this site for a few years or so, never thought I would be trading fishing info just a few days after finally registering.
    The pier in Bishop Park in Wyandotte is good too. I've never tried it, but I would venture to think the fishing pier on the North side of Belle Isle would be good. The river is deeper on the Belle Isle side and the Detroit side, with a tapered sandbar running through the center. The small Aluminum fishing boats are working that strip to beat the band. What was this thread about????

I was down there a few hours ago, and was shocked to hear one of the dozers comin' up over the hill to the southern trail...far from the lighthouse. Then I realized what he was doing, sculpting the trail and filling in the muddy dips. They've got the rest of the trails done, freshly covered in what appears to be potash or cinder...with the hay-covered infield cleanly carved up with these trails, it looks picture-perfect. They've got artists running these 'monsters'.

It was harsh to see the clear-cutting originally, but since someone has talked about Belle Isle sinking...I knew they were at least building up the edge that continually was eroded by the current. It was simply tough to see all that nature torn away...on a walk I take as often as I possibly can. I love that end of the island.

Contrary to Gnome's deepest wishes, this will make it much more comfortable for hipsters. And more beautiful, too. I see it as a win-win for all involved.

It dawned on me while walking the path this morning, that if indeed both ends of the island have been built up from the dirt dug out during the skyscraper building spree...then all that ground is likely holy. They didn't have the same observations and respect for human remains dug up while excavating back then, right?! I'd say we get both ends of the island declared Indigenous ground, able to be used for Native ceremony and other gatherings.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I was down there a few hours ago, and was shocked to hear one of the dozers comin' up over the hill to the southern trail...far from the lighthouse. Then I realized what he was doing, sculpting the trail and filling in the muddy dips. They've got the rest of the trails done, freshly covered in what appears to be potash or cinder...with the hay-covered infield cleanly carved up with these trails, it looks picture-perfect. They've got artists running these 'monsters'.
    Gannon, is the area these machines are working posted, taped or fenced off? Or would it be possible to walk around there? I was thinking about heading there with a metal detector later on. When they scrape off a few decades of dirt, it's almost always a good place to try.

Gannon... Indians have been on "Hog Island" since time immemorial. I'm not sure that any excavated dirt from the deep holes of downtown buildings would be any more sacrosanct.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Gannon, is the area these machines are working posted, taped or fenced off? Or would it be possible to walk around there? I was thinking about heading there with a metal detector later on. When they scrape off a few decades of dirt, it's almost always a good place to try.
    The main area used to be taped off, but I haven't seen that in months. They never put any tape across the smaller trails. There is a long stretch of newly-denuded ground...

A wise man once said. "Change is the only constant in life."

What we we make of it is up to us.

Whether you enjoy walking trails of yesterday, while bemoaning the machines that belch forth monoxides and clear the flora of what was, or look forward to fruits born of today's ideas....change is constant and a part of life.

I look forward to the changes in aquatic habitat, but I feel your pain when the bulldozers clear what you have found familiar on land. I've had places I enjoy hiking turned upside down by the designs of others....it sucks...but I've been able to look past my own needs and have enjoyed the end product in spite of the changes.

Yeah, and we don't have a list of "shall not be named" rivers here!

Welcome to Detroityes! I'm "Zofchak" on M-S.com, am I correct in assuming that you're the same ypsifly?

The main area used to be taped off, but I haven't seen that in months. They never put any tape across the smaller trails. There is a long stretch of newly-denuded ground...
    Thanks. I have some errands to run in that area later today, so I may give it a shot.

It was harsh to see the clear-cutting originally, but since someone has talked about Belle Isle sinking...I knew they were at least building up the edge that continually was eroded by the current. It was simply tough to see all that nature torn away...on a walk I take as often as I possibly can. I love that end of the island.

Contrary to Gnome's deepest wishes, this will make it much more comfortable for hipsters. And more beautiful, too. I see it as a win-win for all involved.

It dawned on me while walking the path this morning, that if indeed both ends of the island have been built up from the dirt dug out during the skyscraper building spree...then all that ground is likely holy. They didn't have the same observations and respect for human remains dug up while excavating back then, right?! I'd say we get both ends of the island declared Indigenous ground, able to be used for Native ceremony and other gatherings.
    Maybe that's where the vineyards are going in?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Yeah, and we don't have a list of "shall not be named" rivers here!

Welcome to Detroityes! I'm "Zofchak" on M-S.com, am I correct in assuming that you're the same ypsifly?
    HAHAHA!!!

I was wondering if anyone from M-S was here too. Moderating those forums can be quite the trip...but its a labor of love and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I made it out there today for a few hours. Unfortunately, I was a day late and a dollar short . The areas that had been scraped down were freshly covered in grass seed and straw. I did have a few moments to speak to the ground crew and they directed me to some waste materials that had been set aside from the old part of the island. I managed to find one late 1800's nickle among the mess of modern scrap, so it wasn't a complete waste of a trip.

The Grand Prix preparations have made the island a user unfreindly mess, so I doubt I''ll be returning until after the races.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    We used to take the dog to the beach for a swim. There is no lifeguard and if you get there early there are no families either. I have not had a dog for over ten years so things may be different now.
    Took my dog to the beach near the yacht club last Sunday morning. Only one other couple with a dog was there. Beach was super clean as was the water. It was perfect. I'll take pics next time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2