Quote Originally Posted by Detronic View Post
I suggest moving to SW Detroit, specifically Hubbard Farms. It's a historic district within Mexican Town. You can drive to Dearborn in 10-15 minutes with ease. This neighborhood is very vibrant and community oriented. This specific part of Detroit is very diverse and feels quite safe. I've lived here since December and haven't run into or even heard about any issues regarding safety. Knock on wood... Alot of young people have been moving into the area as a result of the low vacancy in Corktown. This neighborhood is filled with amenities such as a short walk to grocery shopping [[Honey Bee, E&L, Ryan's), a large park [[Clark Park), community gardens, coffee [[Cafe con Leche), ice cream [[Nevaria La Michoacana), tons of great Mexican food [[Xochimilco, Armando's, etc...) and a couple cool bars [[Donovan's, Giovanna's); not to mention just outside of Corktown and less than 2 miles from Downtown/Midtown. Respected apartments in the area are charming historic structures some of which are fully restored [[unfortunately not to their former glory) by a non-profit called Southwest Housing Solutions [[google it for more info). They own multiple buildings and are very reasonably priced. The interiors of their buildings have all been restored in the late 2000's so you can expect low utility costs as a result of everything being Energy Star rated. You would get a whole lot more square-footage for your money in comparison to say Midtown, Woodbridge, or Corktown [[which are all excellent neighborhoods). Also, many people are restoring houses/ duplexes in the neighborhood often renting out flats.
I second this suggestion. Lifelong Detroiter weighing in. It's a beautiful area. I think what sets it apart for me is that Hubbard Farms is truly a community. They have an active listserv and most people I've encountered truly want to get to know their neighbors.