Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    My sympathies to Mr. Music...... I'm not ready to concede on this one yet. I might have been off on the number of stories, [[though I don't know...... I but there is stand up, walk-around, storage up there), but there is more going on inside that building then just "bathrooms". I would agree to a draw.

Yes, you're right. The bathrooms take up only a section of the building. There is a cafe/restaurant on the oppositve side of the building, and probably there are more rooms not open to the public, as it is a very large building. I think it is the high roof line that gives the impression of being three stories. Yes, there might be a rather tall attic in there.

btw, when you went to Belle Isle the other day, did you check out this picnic area [[across the road from this building)?

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    The surface is horrid. Really super duper sucky. I can not imagine they could run the race under such conditions.

so, let's say Penkse is a top-flight, first-class fellow. Let us assume he is going to resurface the track. I see a future problem.

the concrete barriers are all installed. If they resurface right to the edge of the barriers, when they remove those barriers it will leave a good inch or so height difference between the curb and 3 foot width of the barrier.

that height difference will be a real bear for joggers and bike riders.
    Who cares? They're not paying customers!

Don't forget the Faygo chips, the Vernor's ice cream and a coney island from Langerman's deli. There, see; I know a fair bit about Detroit goodies.

Now I want to stage a DetoitYES Pre-Prix Flee.

Honky Tonk, Gnome, me, and whomever...besides my Livonia Friend, who now has the killer Mercedes Blitzkrieger SUV and has been judged off the island...wishes to join us.

Just have to figure how many laps...
    Last edited by Gannon; May-13-13 at 10:15 AM.

Does anyone have the technology to "SAMPLE" the whole racecourse?

This really should be a driving game...I've wanted to do it for years.

My Volvo will kill anyone's ride as it has lost all respect for itself. Shame will not deter it. Missing body parts only serve to steel it's resolve to outlive anything on four wheels.

I guess that answers my next dilemma...go with the girlfriend's turbo-4 sedan or my beater Vue. If we're going to do bump'em racing, better to have the plastic-sheathed vehicle, even if it is slower.

So, you're going for the deathmatch...figures. I thought you had some experience with The Most Dangerous Game in your past somewhere.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; May-13-13 at 10:31 AM.

Looks like Maheras failed the Kathleen test with flying colors. The last two I will throw out are:

http://www.grossepointepark.org/inde...patterson-park

http://www.northrosedalepark.org/community_center.htm

My Volvo will kill anyone's ride as it has lost all respect for itself. Shame will not deter it. Missing body parts only serve to steel it's resolve to outlive anything on four wheels.
    FOUL! It's lighter than everyone elses car!

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post

Yes, you're right. The bathrooms take up only a section of the building. There is a cafe/restaurant on the oppositve side of the building, and probably there are more rooms not open to the public, as it is a very large building. I think it is the high roof line that gives the impression of being three stories. Yes, there might be a rather tall attic in there.

btw, when you went to Belle Isle the other day, did you check out this picnic area [[across the road from this building)?
    Yes, I did. It's VERY nice, but was packed with people for a special event held in that area. [[the name escapes me) I have no dog in this fight, but here are my thoughts anyway. With the GP taking up a good percentage of the island, and the lack of restroom facilities on the East side of the island, my guess is the Bicycle Pavillion area is going to be plenty packed. My $.02

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    ...btw, when you went to Belle Isle the other day, did you check out this picnic area [[across the road from this building)?
    Dave and I visited Belle Isle yesterday. We did stop by this area and agree that the picnic area looks nice. But the restrooms were not open, and there was just a lone portajohn further down roadway near the fields.

I just called the Belle Isle Administration Office and was told that the public restrooms in the Victorian building near the playing fields and handball courts are not open and are not scheduled to be open. Sounds like the building condition is a contributing factor for the closure.

Other restrooms that are currently closed will be open for Memorial Day weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Looks like Maheras failed the Kathleen test with flying colors.
    Unfortunately, the place was very littered up....and we didn't see any public restrooms there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Dave and I visited Belle Isle yesterday. We did stop by this area and agree that the picnic area looks nice. But the restrooms were not open, and there was just a lone portajohn further down roadway near the fields.

I just called the Belle Isle Administration Office and was told that the public restrooms in the Victorian building near the playing fields and handball courts are not open and are not scheduled to be open. Sounds like the building condition is a contributing factor for the closure.

Other restrooms that are currently closed will be open for Memorial Day weekend.
    Ready?........ It could turn into a cesspool!
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-13-13 at 10:50 AM.

Kathleen, you are invited to the All-Vue Racetrack Revue prior to the DetroitYES Pre-Prix Flee. Since yours is probably in the best shape, you get to be pacecar.

Watch out for Gnome, though.

I have installed tire shreaders to my hubs.

you stand no chance. The Volvo will rip through that Vietnamese supplied body molding, tear out your wiring harness and leave you a smoldering hunk of disappointment.

better bring a second pair of shoes because I am throwing those foot gloves over the nearest high tension wire.

This could get serious......

Attachment 19970
    I have installed tire shreaders to my hubs.

you stand no chance. The Volvo will rip through that Vietnamese supplied body molding, tear out your wiring harness and leave you a smoldering hunk of disappointment.

better bring a second pair of shoes because I am throwing those foot gloves over the nearest high tension wire.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-13-13 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    I'm a traditionalist....so I propose that we adhere to our picnic tradition!!!

Memorial Day Sunday, May 26, 12 noon on Belle Isle.

Our gathering place is at Muse and Loiter Way, just north of the Flynn Skating Pavilion. There is plenty of parking and a nearby restroom.

You can pretty clearly see Muse and Loiter Way on this map of the island:
    http://www.eyeonmichigan.com/guides/...le_detroit.pdf

As usual, Dave and I will make sure we've got tableclothes, plates, napkins, cups, plasticware, condiments, and starter beverages and munchies. Plus chairs, tables, canopy, and a grill. We can't transport our giant gas grill this time, so we might need a second grill, if anyone can bring one.

I'll review the posts to compile a list of who's bringing what so far, so that we can try to have a variety of foods.

Once again, please do let us know that you are interested in attending so that we have an approximate headcount for supplies.

And if you have any opinions, objections, suggestions, etc., please voice them. Thank you!!
    Im on my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Im on my way.
    As noted in my subsequent posts, our usual picnic location is not available to us during Memorial Day weekend because it falls inside the Grand Prix race track.

So alternative locations on the island and elsewhere are being considered, as well as other possible dates.

Feel free to weigh in on a date change. If we are to hold the picnic on Belle Isle, the date might be moved out. June 23 is a possibility, putting it 3 weeks beyond the Grand Prix, 2 weeks beyond the Orion Music Festival, and 1 week beyond Father's Day.
    Last edited by Kathleen; May-13-13 at 12:59 PM.

Let the forum know asap, Kathleen. I'm not sure how mines are or anyone schedules could hold up.

15th/16th is ok, I believe...I was going to have to leave a weekend at a friend's lake house up in Petoskey early for this anyways...

We will be out of town June 12 to June 21. May be able to make a picnic on the 23rd, but Sand Pail Pudding may be out of the question depending on how tired we are from driving to New Mexico and back with 2 grandkids...LOL But it if that's the best alternative, it's ok with us.

What about last year's site? Parking was not great, but otherwise it was nice.

Wow, if DYes picnic wasn't on Memorial weekend, I'd love to attend. That's a tough time to make it.

I am open to a date change. I love Belle Isle but not their "comfort stations". Aside from I still think Cubs club house and gardens would be cool and I like Maharis Gentry Park I might suggest historic St John St Luke, Russel south of Eastern Market, the party would be more of a tail gate style party. Vivio's does their tail gate party there in football season. There is a great grill on site outdoors and the church kitchen has a 1890's cast iron Garland stove that still operates superbly. The fellowship hall could be used if bad weather occurs and bathrooms, chairs and tables would be available. We have done several fundraisers there for the Detroit Eviction Defense fund. Beer and wine permitted.

A shed at Eastern Market could be fun too. The Miami or is it the Bronx on cass ave has a cool deck and large outdoor area. Heck call Bing and tell him we want the grounds of the Manoogian.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Kathleen, you are invited to the All-Vue Racetrack Revue prior to the DetroitYES Pre-Prix Flee. Since yours is probably in the best shape, you get to be pacecar.

Watch out for Gnome, though.
    Thanks, Gannon, but I no longer qualify! Last July, we passed the Vue on to our son and his wife, and I picked up a new Chevy Equinox.

BTW...the Vue [[2003 model) only lasted a few months...it was totaled when they hit a deer on the highway over near Grand Rapids late on Thanksgiving night.

What about Milliken Park? It's very nice, right on the water, nice facilities.

http://www.detroitriverfront.org/eas...entennialpark/

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast