Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

**Sniffles** Missed you Strommy. We had some wind there for a moment causing a bit of kiting of our canopy but otherwise it was great to see everyone! Perfect weather... nice breezes and peaceful on the isle. ...feel better......Z341

An A-1 thank you again to Kathleen and Dave. Amazing good time. Met so many great folk. It does come down a bit of, "it's a small world".

Lots of cross connections etc. Actually, guess i did not expect less. People engaged in our neighborhoods, or kids, culture, music etc would no doubt be aware of each other.

A few folk unaware of our bucolic neighbor, did check us out. I loved it.

Uh.... that was supposed to bucolic neighborhood.

Mostly, I am so amazed at area initiatives. Totally unsung. Totally deserving. The churches arena, the orgs. It amazes the heart and and fills the soul.

That is what DY started as and hopefully remains.

Thanks Lowell! Sumas

Indeed I discovered a new area to explore in the D from chatting with you Sumas. Thank you for sharing your NY photos Danny. Thank you Dave, Kathleen, Lowell......

Who all showed??

It was a very nice picnic, though what could be not nice about sitting around under a warm sun, with a nice breeze, looking at the water and eating good food and snacks all day - with nice, interesting people. Hubby and I were going to stop by for a hour or so, and we ended up staying til the end.

It was so nice putting a face on the names that I see each day here, and I had some great conversations, sitting there in the sun. We had a nice spot, near the rest rooms and it was quite peaceful on the island, even later in the day. Not even any loud music anywhere.

My one great cyber/real world shocker was meeting Danny - I said "OMG, I thought you were an old white guy!", and he most certainly isn't.

I had a great time talking with Sumas and her hubby Ron, and looking at the great book that they have co-written with another author, about an Eastside neighborhood [[and on the way home, I even drove by checked out her neighborhood, and she's right, it's as peaceful as can be, with some lovely, big old homes).

Kathleen and her husband did a great job in pulling all the workings together and manning the grill.

I met Zacha, who I've probably been seeing all the time, around town.

It was wonderful talking to Lowell and discussing our "small world" connections - two "degrees of separation" in Detroit.

I met Mikey as well. All interesting, nice people. [[I'm sure I'm forgetting someone)

I missed seeing a few folks whom I really wanted to meet - Eastside Al, Honky Tonk, and Wesley Mouch , among others. I didn't get a chance to talk much to P69rrh57, except to tell him how hard it is to remember his screen name. I wanted to go over one of his photo albums with him, but we were both always talking to other folks.

But I had a good time. I look forward to the next one.

Great recap, MarshaMusic!! It was a pleasure to meet you and Philpott. So glad you came.

It was a very small but enthusiast group at this year’s DetroitYes picnic. The smallest turnout to date, but that only made for time to catch up with each other and to meet new folks.

There were some first-time attendees: p69rrh51 and wife, MarshaMusic and husband.

And some regulars: Danny, Sumas and RonaldJ, Zacha341, and Mikie.

Plus Lowell, The Grillmaster, and myself.

Thanks to Blueidone and Don and family for stopping by and dropping off a pasta salad and the Sand Pail Pudding. As usual, the Sand Pail Pudding was a big hit!!! It was great to see you. Sorry you weren’t feeling well, so hope you are much better today.

Thanks to all who came out!

Thanks, Lowell, for all your support!!!

Danny: You left one of your photo albums. Dave and I brought it home with us, so we will have to make arrangements to get it to you.

Kathleen

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    My one great cyber/real world shocker was meeting Danny - I said "OMG, I thought you were an old white guy!", and he most certainly isn't.

I missed seeing a few folks whom I really wanted to meet - Eastside Al, Honky Tonk, and Wesley Mouch , among others. I didn't get a chance to talk much to P69rrh57, except to tell him how hard it is to remember his screen name. I wanted to go over one of his photo albums with him, but we were both always talking to other folks.

But I had a good time. I look forward to the next one.
    HEY! Let's watch that old white guy crap, shall we!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Danny: You left one of your photo albums. Dave and I brought it home with us, so we will have to make arrangements to get it to you.

Kathleen
    Thank you Kathleen, I will let you know what time and place to meet you so I can pick up my photo album.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    HEY! Let's watch that old white guy crap, shall we!
    :-)

...and I'm sure that one of the shockers for Lowell was discovering that a mutual friend of ours is my ex - an old white guy. :-)

Forgot to say congrats to Marshamusic for winning a knight grant, we applied but didn't get to first base. I am a decent grant writer but you can't win them all.

Really curious about the winery, the only location I can figure is what is left of the Peace Garden at Genesis. Updates would be great.

As Marsha has seen, we do a have a park bench on our berm. We have met so many great people just resting on their walks to other adventures.

Maybe with Kathleen's help we could do a fall DY event. I have a very large yard. Live central to the city, very close to Belle Isle. I keep telling people that this is such a quiet and sweet unsung area of the city. Everyone should have such great neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Forgot to say congrats to Marshamusic for winning a knight grant, we applied but didn't get to first base. I am a decent grant writer but you can't win them all.

Really curious about the winery, the only location I can figure is what is left of the Peace Garden at Genesis. Updates would be great.

As Marsha has seen, we do a have a park bench on our berm. We have met so many great people just resting on their walks to other adventures.

Maybe with Kathleen's help we could do a fall DY event. I have a very large yard. Live central to the city, very close to Belle Isle. I keep telling people that this is such a quiet and sweet unsung area of the city. Everyone should have such great neighbors.
    Maybe we could look for Hoffa?

Thanks Sumas, but I didn't win! I'm a finalist, which is wonderful; the winners won't be announced until September.

Yes, I know a lot of the East Side pretty well, but I'd not been through your neighborhood in a long time. It was quiet, and your neighbors were giving us the once-over as we drove by.

I enjoyed your stories about the community in your book. Your book is great, and the effort put into it shows. I can't wait for your next one, on the canals community.

My regards to Ron, who looks like Paul Newman.

btw, this week's ModelD issue has an article about Jeff Chalmers, and in it, a link to an old ModelD article on the book you co-wrote.

http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/...design613.aspx

http://www.modeldmedia.com/features/fairview17008.aspx

Glad everyone had a great time...I was going to send my good wishes through Danny, who I once again saw walking in the area of Cadieux and Kercheval on Wednesday or Thursday, but when I drove around the block to chat, he'd disappeared! Too funny that of all the forumers I don't regularly see, he is the one I bump into randomly over in my new 'hood!

I dropped out of a marathon without finishing for the first time in 22 attempts. Learned that it is actually more difficult to drop out than finish. What with the lack of training this year...I've had lung and bronch issues since January's flu that plagued me to the point of wondering if I'd contracted one of those strains of TB!

But I can say I nailed a 2 hour, twenty-one minute HALF marathon with only one day's training in nine months...with a mile jog-down before my body totally rebelled into exhaustion. THEN I walked two more miles before finally admitting I was done, and dropped at sixteen. I now have another souvenir, which will hang in place of the missing medal for this year, the unused barf bag they handed me with the plea to not give the nice bus driver any additional messy work.

Then I drove 29 hours to NE Arizona...

Just received this email invite that might interest you:
    http://www.meetup.com/Detroit-Drunke...nts/126321392/

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7