Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    If you ever watch HGTV, you know that Canada takes much better care of its urban centers than the U.S. does. If we are serious about improving Detroit, maybe we should explore joining Canada.
    Complete and utter bullshit! Toronto and Vancouver might be great places to live for the well off but when's the last time you saw HGTV do a documentary on Vancouver's downtown eastside of Toronto's Jane and Finch areas? Detroit, for all its' flaws, boasts better architecture and more affordable housing than either of those two cities.

Quote Originally Posted by hortonz View Post
    Complete and utter bullshit! Toronto and Vancouver might be great places to live for the well off but when's the last time you saw HGTV do a documentary on Vancouver's downtown eastside of Toronto's Jane and Finch areas? Detroit, for all its' flaws, boasts better architecture and more affordable housing than either of those two cities.
    No. Canada's "worst neighborhoods" are 1000x better than Detroit's neighborhoods. I have never felt unsafe in any part of Toronto or Montreal, two cities I have been to multiple times, the former of which I nearly grew up in since I have family there. Jane and Finch, probably the worst neighborhood in all of Canada [[compared to a list of American neighborhoods that are "bad"), is the exception to the rule. Toronto has exceptional preserved Victorian rowhouses that are found in multiple neighborhoods bordering downtown. And Montreal has its unique urban housing as well. Detroit's duplexes are far from architecturally significant especially in the condition they're in. We have affordable housing because of the state we've been in. If we were a functional and safe city, our housing would be market rate and above, like most cities.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3