Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Islandview Village is 3 streets..Helen, East Grand blvd and Field from the river to Military Rd [[Gratiot) roughly Linden Farm owned by Moses Field.

I sit on our board for clean and safe and get our stats monthly. No way is this a dangerous neighborhood. Biggest problem is vandalism and car theft. We do have a few hot spots for personal robbery but they are not for the most part in Islandview proper.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I agree. But BTW, what's a 'jumpout boy'? The other terms you mentioned I knew... but that one?

Captain hooks! Yeah seen that... I think. Hah!

Jumpout boys are the cops that ride in the back of the unmarked squadcars, and when they see someone they want to mess with, they jump out and launch themselves in the direction of that individual and scare the crap out of 'em. Is usually a narco or gangsquad. And they tend to hate people in general [[admittedly), and have had their shield for over a decade already, which is why they do their job so well.

Captain Hooks are grimey ass pimps that sorta blend into the scenery, and are most likely felons or ex-cons with a drug habit and little or no education. As opposed to the flashy, stereotypical pimps who sport furs and Cardis and drive an assortment of Cadillacs.

The element we dont see often in that part of town are Peter Pans [[tranny hookers). Most of those folks hang out off of 6 and Van Dyke or in Highland Park.

I've been living here too long... [[sigh).
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; May-09-13 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drpoundsign View Post
    Yes, we have all heard many bad things about Brightmoor. I was supposedly NEVER good; even before racial transition. It was built by Ford for the workers from Kentucky, with small houses and lots. I believe it changed in the late seventies/early eighties, after most of the other Hoods. Conant Gardens and Royal Oak Charter Township, were like Medieval Slums..located on the outskirts of the cities away from all the "good stuff." I remember being accosted by panhandling drunks from the Cass Corridor in broad daylight on the WSU campus. Crazy people too. One schizophrenic said "I'm in Trouble Landlord threw me OUT!" [[imagine) Showed me his ID card with a West Vernor address. I threw an F Bomb on me when I dared only give him a dollar "someday YOU'll need help!" There were a LOT of hookers in the Corridor back then. West of Third and South of Myrtle lots of burnt out apartment buildings and the Jeffries Low rises. The Northeast part of the City near 7 Mile and Hoover was not that bad until the residency requirement for public employees was lifted..then the Cops left Copper Canyons.
    Actually back in the 50's-early 70's a number of DPD and DFD lived in Brightmoor. Parts of it were pretty decent with postwar bungalows. I'm not saying it was paradise, but it had some blocks that were fine.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Jumpout boys are the cops that ride in the back of the unmarked squadcars, and when they see someone they want to mess with, they jump out and launch themselves in the direction of that individual and scare the crap out of 'em. Is usually a narco or gangsquad. And they tend to hate people in general [[admittedly), and have had their shield for over a decade already, which is why they do their job so well.

Captain Hooks are grimey ass pimps that sorta blend into the scenery, and are most likely felons or ex-cons with a drug habit and little or no education. As opposed to the flashy, stereotypical pimps who sport furs and Cardis and drive an assortment of Cadillacs.

The element we dont see often in that part of town are Peter Pans [[tranny hookers). Most of those folks hang out off of 6 and Van Dyke or in Highland Park.

I've been living here too long... [[sigh).
    I'm liking you more and more..... Welcome to the street!

Quote Originally Posted by drpoundsign View Post
    Yes, we have all heard many bad things about Brightmoor. I was supposedly NEVER good; even before racial transition. It was built by Ford for the workers from Kentucky, with small houses and lots. I believe it changed in the late seventies/early eighties, after most of the other Hoods. Conant Gardens and Royal Oak Charter Township, were like Medieval Slums..located on the outskirts of the cities away from all the "good stuff." I remember being accosted by panhandling drunks from the Cass Corridor in broad daylight on the WSU campus. Crazy people too. One schizophrenic said "I'm in Trouble Landlord threw me OUT!" [[imagine) Showed me his ID card with a West Vernor address. I threw an F Bomb on me when I dared only give him a dollar "someday YOU'll need help!" There were a LOT of hookers in the Corridor back then. West of Third and South of Myrtle lots of burnt out apartment buildings and the Jeffries Low rises. The Northeast part of the City near 7 Mile and Hoover was not that bad until the residency requirement for public employees was lifted..then the Cops left Copper Canyons.
    Ah, Yes, those WERE the good old days!
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-10-13 at 04:42 AM.

IrishSpartan thanks for the Education. I used to go to Uncle Sam's Disco in the late Seventies in Redford Township..but near the Detroit border.

I did voter registration work in Brightmoor. I walked every single block, including in the project. Just me [[middle-aged white guy) and my clipboard. Only got hassled once, verbally, with no real problem.

On Election Day 2008 I was rounding up folks in Brightmoor and driving them to the polls. Buncha dudes was hangin' in the parking lot in the project. I walked up to them and explained what I was doing.

One guy said he couldn't vote because he was a former felon. I explained that he could indeed vote if he was registered. Was he registered?

He wasn't sure.

I asked if anyone had a computer in their apartment. [[This was before smartphones). One guy said yeah, so we went inside and hopped on publius.org to find out if the guy was registered to vote. Bingo! There he was.

I told him he was registered, and he could come with me right now to go vote.

He had tears in his eyes.

True story.

I filled up the car with these desperados, helped them negotiate the tables and lines at the polls, and drove them home later.

I've done the same thing at soup kitchens and homeless shelters all over town. West Side. East Side. No problems.
    Last edited by Delray; May-14-13 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Delray View Post
    I did voter registration work in Brightmoor. I walked every single block, including in the project. Just me [[middle-aged white guy) and my clipboard. Only got hassled once, verbally, with no real problem.

On Election Day 2008 I was rounding up folks in Brightmoor and driving them to the polls. A bunch of dudes were hangin' in the parking lot in the project, and I walked up to them and explained what I was doing. One guy said he couldn't vote because he was a former felon. I explained that he could indeed vote if he was registered. Was he registered?

He wasn't sure.

I asked if anyone had a computer in their apartment. [[This was before smartphones). One guy said yeah, so we went inside and hopped on publius.org to find out if the guy was registered to vote. Bingo! There he was.

True story.

I filled up the car with these desperados, helped them negotiate the tables and lines, and drove them home later.

I've done the same thing at soup kitchens and homeless shelters all over town. West Side. East Side. No problems.
    Way to go, Delray! Teach a man to fish.....

On Election Day 2008 I was rounding up folks in Brightmoor and driving them to the polls. A bunch of dudes were hangin' in the parking lot in the project, and I walked up to them and explained what I was doing. One guy said he couldn't vote because he was a former felon. I explained that he could indeed vote if he was registered. Was he registered?

He wasn't sure.

True story.

I filled up the car with these desperados, helped them negotiate the tables and lines, and drove them home later.

I like you.

...He had tears in his eyes....
    That alone says it all.

Post more often, Delray. We all need you to do even just that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3