Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

$9.50 price seems about right for corned beef and reuben sandwhiches. Bread Basket charges more.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    How would anyone ignore a place that has been in business for 36 years and not even try it? I am sure that Applebees down the block that has been open for 5 years and that serves $9.50 horse meat is much better.
    There are many thousands of people, in the metro area, who never have any cause for being on that stretch of Michigan.
    And certainly there is nothing about the exterior of the place that suggests that it's anything special.

^^^ Interesting that you mention its appearance. There's a commercial paper supply company not too far from there that looks very plain on the outside. The company name is small as is the address number. I think they do this to minimize their presences from break-ins and robberies or so I've heard. Like if you know they are there then you know, and need to know.

But that approach does not bode well for a carry out or restaurant.

The interior is very cool, with metal tubed chairs with sparkly metallic vinyl in various colors. I loved that look in 1970 when I rode carnival rides as a kid, and I love that look in the restaurant. We had one of the best work lunches ever at the Hygrade.

does the deli have a website?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    $9.50 for a sandwich.....pass, I'll take a steak for that kind of dough!
    At Hygrade? I see one thing on their menu that's $9.50+, double meat "meal in a sandwich" on an onion roll for $9.75.

http://www.yelp.com/menu/hygrade-deli-detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    And there was a waitress there 50 years ago.....sigh.....wonder what happened to her?
    I think she waited on me on my last visit there, Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    does the deli have a website?
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hygra...i/283987688145

Went for lunch today. Ruben was excellent, as was the chicken rice. The place is definitely one of a kind. Have to try the breakfast one Saturday. Beats driving to Ferndale!

The bean soup is perfect. Tuna melt, just right. Staff, delightful. They don't make 'em like this anymore.Name:  IMG_1113.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  28.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

'Im planning to eat breakfast there Monday before opening day.

Update! I had the opportunity Monday to go to Hygrade's for the first time. Groupon had a nice deal, so I got there 2:45 PM [[they close at 3:00 PM daily) and got a takeaway Corned Beef and a Salad. GREAT sandwich! Meat quality was great!

They were extremely busy and the owner [[I think) mentioned they had received alot of media coverage. The Groupon deal is not hurting them either.

Good that they are doing well! YUMMY indeed!
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-31-14 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Update! I had the opportunity Monday to go to Hygrade's for the first time. Groupon had a nice deal, so I got there 2:45 PM [[they close at 3:00 PM daily) and got a takeaway Corned Beef and a Salad. GREAT sandwich! Meat quality was great!

They were extremely busy and the owner [[I think) mentioned they had received alot of media coverage. The Groupon deal is not hurting them either.

Good that they are doing well! YUMMY indeed!
    Ruben and Split Pea, the best, Zacha431, THE BEST!

Yeah, I wish their hours weren't so limited. It took me two weeks trying to beat-the-clock before closing time. I am usually at work, far away, but it was worth the wait and I'm a S-Pea soup lover!

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yeah, I wish their hours weren't so limited. It took me two weeks trying to beat-the-clock before closing time. I am usually at work, far away, but it was worth the wait and I'm a S-Pea soup lover!
    Ok, then, also try Mike's Famous Ham next door.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Ok, then, also try Mike's Famous Ham next door.

Yes, but is it kosher or halal ham?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Yes, but is it kosher or halal ham?
    Fortunately, neither.....

Just a heads up, they open at 7am during the week.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3