Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
I resemble the meme. I also don't put too much stock in it. There are about as many different ways of being a young white entrepreneur who moved here from out of state as there are people who fit that description. There will always be people who resent me for what I resemble--and, probably, always people who I will resent based only on what they resemble.

Detroit doesn't need a white savior. It does need successful white businesses. And successful black businesses. And Arab businesses, and businesses owned by anyone else who is willing to live and work and pay taxes and mow the lawn.

"Successful businesses" isn't the magic bullet. There isn't one. There never will be one. There's only a long series of gradual steps towards a city that might be better than Detroit is today. Many of those will be missteps. Many steps will also be extremely profitable for some people.

The average young white 20-something outside Detroit has access to way more capital than the average young black 20-something inside Detroit. The deck is stacked in America across the board in favor of white men -- our boats rise more when the tide comes in. The "rebirth of Detroit" will probably disproportionately benefit white men. I think we should try for it anyway -- and simultaneously, we should try to end the systemic inequality of race and gender in America.

Well stated. I would suggest that all boats rise with the tide- all boats that are properly mended and free of holes. All have access to the tools to "better their boat." So as the tide rises those who chose to not use the tools drag their leaking sieves to shore [[or sink) leaving a wide open bay and the yachts begin to appear. Should we post a sign that says no boats over 20 feet until we get our shit together? To drag out this economic nautical theme one step further- free market skippering is the only way for real growth.