Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Surprised you'd put DC in the second category. I found Georgetown's 150+ retailers to be pretty comprehensive: http://www.georgetowndc.com/explore/fashion/
    Georgetown is not downtown DC. It is out a ways and caters to the "oh so special" crowd that inhabits Georgetown. Georgetown has the same relationship vis-a-vis downtown Washington that the Grosse Points have vis-a-vis downtown Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    Please don't forget that KMart HQ left Michigan from their Troy location right next to Somerset.
    K-Mart merged with Sears and didn't need their headquarters any more. They abandoned the building, not Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Georgetown is not downtown DC. It is out a ways and caters to the "oh so special" crowd that inhabits Georgetown. Georgetown has the same relationship vis-a-vis downtown Washington that the Grosse Points have vis-a-vis downtown Detroit.
    It is a neighborhood of DC proper and it is a mile away [[walking distance) from the White House. It's nothing like GP, which is not in Detroit proper and is a separate city. Georgetown is more akin to Midtown than GP, which would be more comparable to Arlington.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    But the two have two different range of retail. Canal Place looks like it's Somerset South, but the retail in the RenCen is less even for a strip mall. CVS, Jos A Bank, Pure Detroit, and a candy store is nothing compared to Canal Place or Somerset South. The RenCen does not have plenty of shopping.
    Exactly, Canal and the Ren Cen are worlds apart. Canal has Saks, Coach, Michael Kors, Ann Taylor, JCrew, Banana Republic, Brooks Bros, lululemon, White House Black Market, etc etc, to the tune of 30+ stores. I'm not sure how you seriously compare that to the Ren Cen.

And NOLA does have retail outside of those stores - they are boutiques, not chains.
    Last edited by TexasT; April-11-13 at 10:00 AM.

So does GM , Ford , Microsoft, coca cola, Gap, chevron , ANYTHING at Walmart , Target, Unileaver .Sooooo ???? Any multi national company .What's an privalage American to do ?

It is a neighborhood of DC proper and it is a mile away [[walking distance) from the White House. It's nothing like GP, which is not in Detroit proper and is a separate city. Georgetown is more akin to Midtown than GP, which would be more comparable to Arlington.
    I would agree. Georgetown has a great mix of retail and is just across the River from White House.

I would however compare Grosse Pointe more to Alexandria. Arlington is focused more on big business than neighborhoods. Small point though and I usually group the two cities together in my mind.

Just to try to bring this thread back in focus, neither Georgetown, nor Arlington have a Niketown. Nor does Alexandria. I am not sure what the locations of current and past K-mart stores have in relationship to Nike Stores. They do not have the same market. You're not going to get the kids who want Air Jordans to suddenly be interested in Traxx!
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; April-11-13 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I would agree. Georgetown has a great mix of retail and is just across the River from White House.

I would however compare Grosse Pointe more to Alexandria. Arlington is focused more on big business than neighborhoods. Small point though and I usually group the two cities together in my mind.
    You're right. I went to UVirginia for grad school - most of my friends wound up in one or the other so I lump them together as well, but I'm more familiar with Arlington because I always stayed in Rosslyn when I'd visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    I forgot about that one. About as far as you can get from downtown and still be in the city limits. Kresge started in Detroit. I know Garden City was the first of the modern day Kmart. I used to work at Kmart when I was a teenager. The one at Sherwood and Outer Drive.
    You worked at Kmart 4021 and I worked at Kmart 4020 at Plymouth and Southfield when I was a teenager. 4021 was the busiest Kmart in the chain and 4020 was #2. Retailers have a long history of abandoning Detroit for the suburbs even when the sales data didn't support it. They knew Detroiters' would still have to buy somewhere, so they catered to the wealthier suburbs. To suggest that 700,000 people don't have buying power is ridiculous. Regardless of the poverty level, even poor people buy things.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    You worked at Kmart 4021 and I worked at Kmart 4020 at Plymouth and Southfield when I was a teenager. 4021 was the busiest Kmart in the chain and 4020 was #2. Retailers have a long history of abandoning Detroit for the suburbs even when the sales data didn't support it. They knew Detroiters' would still have to buy somewhere, so they catered to the wealthier suburbs. To suggest that 700,000 people don't have buying power is ridiculous. Regardless of the poverty level, even poor people buy things.
    Poor people don't buy at the type of upscale stores you find on Michigan Ave. That's why Detroit has tons of Family Dollars.

I was talking about Kmart. Maybe to you, that's upscale.

LOL! too funny!

Shollin Guest

I have this whole time been talking about upscale. If Detroit could support more Kmarts or similar discount retailers, they would be there.

It was mentioned in this thread that Woodward could be Michigan Ave. The market conditions in Detroit simply don't support these types of retailers or else they would be here. You keep going on this 10 million, but how many Tigers fans [[who apparently did nothing but piss and throw garbage in Detroit) are going to shop at these stores?
    I am so sick of hearing Detroit could be the next Brooklyn or Woodward could be Michigan Avenue. Why not let Detroit be the next Detroit and Woodward could be Woodward.

Actually what I've noticed is that poor people here in Detroit like to live beyond their means,I'm talking youngsters here folks. Everytime a pair of new Jordans come out people line up for them even though their light bill or gas bill is due. So many young blacks here in Detroit have a fake it til you make it attitude and don't mind spending money on things they really can't afford at places like Somerset,Great lakes Crossing and the like. They have no problem figuring out how to afford that gucci purse or true religion jeans because they give the illusion of success or being affluent, same thing with cars. Also, a lot of poor folks in Atlanta shop at Phipps and Lenox and those malls are doing just fine.
    Poor people don't buy at the type of upscale stores you find on Michigan Ave. That's why Detroit has tons of Family Dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    There were? I don't remember one
    It was there [[the side of the street where the London Chop House is).

http://www.yelp.com/biz/dress-barn-detroit?no_splash=1
    Last edited by 313WX; April-12-13 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It was there [[the side of the street where the London Chop House is).

http://www.yelp.com/biz/dress-barn-detroit?no_splash=1
    Wow. Thanks I did not know that Dress Barn was downtown as late as 10 to 12 years ago. I had always said that downtown need more shops for women. Not expensive but middle of the road. That will contribute to a thriving downtown. Downtown need a linen store badly to serve the residents of downtown, midtown, Brush Park, and Lafayette Park area. The shopping strip on Woodward south of Grand Blvd need an exteme makeover as well. It could be a mixture of basic mens/womens apprarel stores, sports apparel stores, etc. I could see high end clothing stores inside New Center One with high security inside the building itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I live in NoVA now and can say that Georgetown is a tourist trap more than anything. I wouldn't say that it has a GP feeling at all. GP feels peaceful whereas Georgetown is hectic.

Rosslyn is changing....from a 1960s office park cluster to a 2000's office park cluster. I work there...it probably sees more foot traffic in a day than Detroit CBD sees in 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    I am so sick of hearing Detroit could be the next Brooklyn or Woodward could be Michigan Avenue. Why not let Detroit be the next Detroit and Woodward could be Woodward.
    That's how it use to be about 40 or 50 years ago.

Article from the Guardian, with a reference to Nike Town.

As he gives me the guided tour of Gilbert's empire Bruce Schwartz looks like a band leader from some late night comedy show in his pork pie hat, black baseball jacket and glasses that turn to shades whenever we step outside. Everyone knows him, and he knows everybody. He rattles off the names of big brands looking at Detroit real estate. Nike are thinking of opening a Nike Town, and Aloft, Starwood hotel's hipper brand, have bought a building; Shake Shack, the phenomenally popular New York burger restaurant chain, is considering opening a venue.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/15/detroit-precarious-recovery-dan-gilbert

The Metropolitan building is also mentioned in this article - interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by AGinthe313 View Post
    Article from the Guardian, with a reference to Nike Town.

As he gives me the guided tour of Gilbert's empire Bruce Schwartz looks like a band leader from some late night comedy show in his pork pie hat, black baseball jacket and glasses that turn to shades whenever we step outside. Everyone knows him, and he knows everybody. He rattles off the names of big brands looking at Detroit real estate. Nike are thinking of opening a Nike Town, and Aloft, Starwood hotel's hipper brand, have bought a building; Shake Shack, the phenomenally popular New York burger restaurant chain, is considering opening a venue.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/15/detroit-precarious-recovery-dan-gilbert

The Metropolitan building is also mentioned in this article - interesting!
    Ok, I think Shake Shack is vastly overrated by New Yorkers but it is still damn good! I would love to get a Shake Shack here!

Well I guess I was sorta right ;-)

Dan Gilbert sent this tweet out this morning:
    11/18/15,8:36 AM
    Welcome @Niketo downtown Detroit!Two-level 22,000 sq. ft 'Nike Detroit' will open thisspring at 1261 Woodward Avenue.Believe.Then see it

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...town/75981002/

Here's the News article about it.

Ok, I think Shake Shack is vastly overrated by New Yorkers but it is still damn good! I would love to get a Shake Shack here!
    so what is the gimmick with Shake Shack?

Not this New Yorker!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    so what is the gimmick with Shake Shack?
    With locations in airports, ballparks, train stations, and shopping malls from Texas to Kuwait and Moscow, it's a fast food chain. You order at a cashier counter, their burgers are served wrapped in paper and always well done, plastic utensils are provided next to the napkin dispenser by the trash can, and drinks are served in plastic. At least McDonald's uses paper cups.

It's McDonald's for people who think they're above McDonald's, and are willing to pay an extra buck.

Clearly there's a business model in that.

The store opening should coincide nicely with UofM football season. Remember, Michigan signed an agreement with Nike to be Jordan's first football team. They are going to be peddling the shit out of those jerseys in that store. I wouldn't be surprised if it's tops in jersey sales outside of A2.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast