Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Caribou Coffee

You are correct.

I'm a little surprised that Peet's would expand so far from their West Coast base, store expansion apparently being the primary reason both Caribou and Tully's [[a Seattle based roaster) got themselves into financial trouble. Starbuck's got away with it because they were the first major chain, but others have gotten themselves into trouble going into markets they weren't prepared to compete in.

I was ahead of myself in the use of the word 'garage'...i wasn't sure to be honest if there were service bays in the existing building, so I was using the term loosely...it's an early pre-cast roof...pretty cool.

Mack is the location closing, signs are up directing people to Kercheval.

It's a big retrenchment for sure, Caribou is basically shrinking back to MN and it's bordering states...as well as Denver. They seemed to do reasonably well here [[to the untrained customer's eye) - product is good, atmosphere is nice. I get the impression this is a decision made elsewhere, by folks who really don't know the markets as well as they think...why replacing an Upper Midwest brand with a California brand is a good idea is beyond me...essentially starting from scratch from a branding perspective. Let's not forget Starbucks went through a pretty major retrench a few years ago too. Tim Hortons [[granted not a premium chain) is a force in this market too...only so many $ to go around...

yeah, caribou has its share of fans around here who have never heard of Peet's. Rebranding isn't cheap, and may run off loyal customers

Biggby is opening in the Talmer Bank after all:

Biggby Coffee Coming to Grosse Pointe Woods

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Biggby is opening in the Talmer Bank after all:

Biggby Coffee Coming to Grosse Pointe Woods
    I am glad to see this its a couple doors from my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    If you go through the trouble of buying beans direct from the growers, do yourself a favor and look into roasting your own. I've been doing that for about 8 or 9 years now, and there is nothing better than fresh roasted coffee. Speaking of which, has anybody been to the Roasting Plant on Campus Martius yet? They roast onsite. Any reviews?
    Grabbed coffee here a couple of times. very good [[I thought). Little pricey, but it's quality stuff. Also the rube goldberg/jetsons-esque "JavaBot" system is sort of interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by fastcarsandfreedom View Post
    Let's not forget Starbucks went through a pretty major retrench a few years ago too. Tim Hortons [[granted not a premium chain) is a force in this market too...only so many $ to go around...
    People that go to Tim Horton's don't lift their pinky finger when they drink like the people in Fourbucks or Peetes do.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    yeah, caribou has its share of fans around here who have never heard of Peet's. Rebranding isn't cheap, and may run off loyal customers
    I certainly hope coffee in the stores tastes nothing like the bulk coffee we get from Peet's at the office. Then again, it's like bulk Starbucks coffee you get. Tastes nothing like what's prepared in the store.

What a bummer to see Caribou go. We really enjoyed their coffee and rustic atmosphere. Hope Peetes has good coffee, not burnt tasting.

How is Biggy Coffee faring? I understand they are based in Lansing. I seen Biggy Coffee in the Dayton, Ohio area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2