Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Fort Wayne is cool. Getting there is part of the experience. I have never felt threatened by anyone or anything. Why someone would blow their diaper over getting there is amazing, only made more awesome by only spending 10 minutes at the flea market.

i remember being told by my dear mother, "If you don't want to be bored, don't be boring." Advice I passed on to my teenage children.

Seems someone's mom never shared that same concept.

First of all, "vr9hqhrqhqviovffndbVdivoaihv" has never actually been proven. All it is, is a conceptual myth, perpetuated by a certain white racist, elitist class, to get a shot @ poor black people's jewels. I can't believe you even posted that crap here!
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; April-16-13 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Fort Wayne is cool. Getting there is part of the experience. I have never felt threatened by anyone or anything. Why someone would blow their diaper over getting there is amazing, only made more awesome by only spending 10 minutes at the flea market.

i remember being told by my dear mother, "If you don't want to be bored, don't be boring." Advice I passed on to my teenage children.

Seems someone's mom never shared that same concept.
    I was there for 10 minutes gnome because they had an unlocked bathroom and I remembered what my old dad once said - when you find one unlocked always change your diaper because you never know if you'll find one open when it really needs changing. My dad was a philosopher.

Baffling. I can tell you when I feel threatened: when I see people hanging out on street corners, with nothing to do, staring me down, when I go through an area. The thing about Delray is that there isn't anybody around. The streetcorners are practically gone because of ghetto palm overgrowth. What are you freaking scared of? The reinactors? The old ladies at the flea market? For the love of God, they're brave enough to be there multiple times a year, and you're not? What kind of an American are you? The terrorists have won.

Coracle... you knew better than to mention that you were so intimidated by Detroit that you only stayed for 10 minutes... so each excuse you give is funnier than the one before...

Gistok ... Ha ha hha.
    Last edited by RickBeall; April-16-13 at 03:29 PM.

In coracle's defense...... Delray, [[and Delray Heights), is my old neighborhood. I go back about once a year to look around, and each time, when I think it couldn't possibly get any worse, it does. If you could've seen the life in that place when we were kids. It's sad to see it ended up the way it is. I can totally understand why you freaked out driving in to the Fort. I don't know why you left after 10 minutes though. The Fort itself is perfectly safe. As someone mentioned, you really should have taken a tour, checked out the grounds, the inner workings of the Fort, and checked out the retoration work that's been done, or is in the process of being done, in some of the original buildings there. Maybe after you've had a chance to digest it all, you can be persuaded for a return visit.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    I was there for 10 minutes gnome because they had an unlocked bathroom and I remembered what my old dad once said - when you find one unlocked always change your diaper because you never know if you'll find one open when it really needs changing. My dad was a philosopher.
    Your father sounds as insightful as you. 10 minutes? You must be French to have given up so easily.

wow, no better way to win the hearts & minds of suburbanites than to tell them how they should think or act, eh?

if he doesnt want to hang out so what? who cares? i dont understand why there's a need to drag this out. no wonder outsiders have such a negative impression of the city.

trust me, im not worried about whether some guy was brave enough or open minded enough to come here or stay more than 10min. all i can do is try to fix the things i CAN control. and with that, im going back outside to continue working.
    l8r

Quote Originally Posted by WaCoTS View Post
    wow, no better way to win the hearts & minds of suburbanites
    Why on earth is that the goal? Who made that the goal? Some people are just too set in their ways. If anything, there is more hope for the younger generation or people who are not from here. I could give a shit less what some suburbanite thinks of the city anymore. I think it's a cool place. If you don't then that's fine too. There is not shortage of press on great things here. You're afraid of the freaking flea market? Whatever, it's a free county, no skin off my ass, I'm not going to come down there and hold your hand.
    Last edited by poobert; April-16-13 at 03:33 PM.

Poobert, get your diaper off the tree and calm down. :-)

Poobert's point is a good one. If somebody is hostile to cities in general, and chauvinistic about the suburbs, then turns around and says, "Way to curry my favor by telling me how to live!" then you have to realize that this person never was interested in examining their prejudices or taking a fresh look at the city. So, in the sense of trying to change them, or to worry about offending them, who gives a flying fuck? If people really hate the city, and will never change, you know what my strategy is? I wait for them to die...

Way to build bridges, Detroitnerd!

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Why on earth is that the goal? Who made that the goal?
    oh wow, this is really getting ridiculous. ill definitely think twice before trying to post anything positive on here again.

way to completely mis-read my post and freak out over nothing.

We turned a public service announcement into an internet knife fight.

OK everyone, back over to "Midtown is a Cesspool"!

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    We turned a public service announcement into an internet knife fight.

OK everyone, back over to "Midtown is a Cesspool"!
    No! Please no more cesspool. Good point Rick, but no more cesspool, please!

Quote Originally Posted by WaCoTS View Post
    wow, no better way to win the hearts & minds of suburbanites than to tell them how they should think or act, eh?

if he doesnt want to hang out so what? who cares? i dont understand why there's a need to drag this out. no wonder outsiders have such a negative impression of the city.

trust me, im not worried about whether some guy was brave enough or open minded enough to come here or stay more than 10min. all i can do is try to fix the things i CAN control. and with that, im going back outside to continue working.
    l8r
    WaCoTS, as a "suburban" member of Preservation Detroit, I applaud you for your commitment to one of Detroit's historic gems.

But this has nothing to do with a city vs. suburb issue [[except for Poobert and DetroitNerd who sometimes go overboard in their zealotry for Detroit).

Coracle, not a suburbanite... but an exurbanite living 35 miles from the city, has "repeatedly" exhibited a fear of Detroit that is typical of the people who haven't been in the city in 30 years.

I'm not sure the real reason for Coracle only staying 10 minutes in Fort Wayne, but it is not based on reality. Also Coracle is not your average poster... he's the Ying to Poobert and DetroitNerds Yang.... and has posted on "his own perspective" of his distant views of Detroit many times before. This is not just about city people picking on an outsider... but both city and suburbanites questioning the rationalizations of such a short visit. He probably should have just stayed mum on his visit, but he wanted to make sure we know that he came down for a short visit, and was justified about why he kept it short.

So it's not like folks here are picking on a newbie here... but someone with strong known opinions about Detroit... few of which are pleasant.

I like downtown Dertroit Gistok. I make visits for various activities; I worked on Woodward for few months several years ago, and I've attended two weddings in the environs.
    I don't like the opinions of some of the posters on Detroityes and enjoy very much disagreeing. For instance anybody burning up with hatred that engenders a strategy "I wait for them to die" should have a much closer investigation [[by the world at large) than someone that spends 10 mins at a Flea Market instead of an hour. But he/she's given a pass and I wonder why. The furor opened up by my original mail underlines just how touchy and defensive some people can be over a non event if it doesn't fit their agenda and they want to create something out of nothing. I will try to be careful what I say in the future. I probably won't stop posting because DetroitYes is a great site to read and the temptation to reply sometimes is just too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    First of all, "vr9hqhrqhqviovffndbVdivoaihv" has never actually been proven. All it is, is a conceptual myth, perpetuated by a certain white racist, elitist class, to get a shot @ poor black people's jewels. I can't believe you even posted that crap here!
    We Blame James Tate!

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    I will try to be careful what I say in the future.
    NOW you've crossed the line! Your opinions ARE your opinions, and you have every right to and SHOULD be able to express them. Delray IS a very scary place, and you can get hurt if you're not careful, despite the absence of population. Some people prefer to rose tint their worlds to keep them safe from the trouble and pain.

I don't understand the compulsion of coming on this site and dumping irrelevant factoids like the now infamous, "10 minute flea market' story. If there was a ClintonTownshipYes.com, I wouldn't feel the need to post about the last time I drove past on a major surface road and only stopped for gas. If have very little interaction with that area and not enough information about it to form an opinion one way or the other. Unless I was just trolling.

I read and post here because it's generally a more relevant news sourcs for what's happening in my neighborhood than say what the Freep has to offer. I thank people like WaCoTs for posting events like the FW Flea market to keep me aware of what's happening in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    I read and post here because it's generally a more relevant news sourcs for what's happening in my neighborhood than say what the Freep has to offer. I thank people like WaCoTs for posting events like the FW Flea market to keep me aware of what's happening in the city.
    I dunno, I found this true a few years ago, but not anymore. Way more 10 minute FW flea market stories. The biggest thread on here is Midtown is a cesspool, for Chrissake. Royal Oak was the recent winner for where in Detroit should an urbanite move.

I don't see why everyone is pooping their pants over this hearts and mind crap. You're not going to convince me that Hall Road is great and that I should hang out there, so why on earth should I try to convince somebody out there that Delray is the place to be? I just can't figure out why in God's holy name some of these Detroit haters still post here.

If Coracle really doesn't fear and loathe the city and isn't unduly chauvinistic about the exurbs [[hey, we all generally enjoy where we live and live there for a reason), then I welcome his thoughts. But, you know what? I find it hard to believe that you mention Detroit and just happen to let go a little comment that any poster here knows will incite some rancor, and just -- whoops! -- didn't know that at ALL!

Default Miracle at the Fort Wayne Flea

Sorry I'm posting this after the event but I was so busy this weekend. This was the first Fort Wayne Flea that I've missed in many years - and I remember being there for what I thought was the first one, when my 36 year old son was in a stroller.

A story -

My aunt and I were puttering around the market, and after scrounging around in the jewelry on a big table, I look up and there was a huge, ornately framed portrait - of my grandmother!

We were in complete shock! The whole place was reeling after the news spread through the flea market of such a find.

My aunt had had the photo retouched and framed a long time ago and it was a dear possession. Some years later, due to illness and a move she bought a storage unit, that she was unable to keep. It was auctioned off four years before we found it, to a vendor on the far east side, near Romeo Plank - quite a ways from the Fort Wayne Flea.

In those four years the vendor had taken it to many sales but never found a buyer - until we stumbled upon it. My aunt was overwhelmed, and so was I. Another reason for me to love the Fort Wayne Flea Market.

Great story Marsha.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast