Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    What I don't get is Chicago gets knocked because it isn't New York, but neither is Detroit. Detroit has a large theater district, but what good are they when they're under used? The Fox and the Fisher can put on some good shows, but I don't see much quality stuff aside from the DSO. The Art Institute of Chicago is the second largest art museum in the country behind only New York. I really wouldn't say the DIA is the same. It seems lame not to go to Chicago because they think there New York.
    I'm still not certain that it is the 2nd largest.. if it is, it's not in gallery space, the true measure of an art museum. The most recent addition to CIA doesn't add up... They added 250,000 sq.ft. of which 65,000 sq. ft. were gallery space. Prior to that they had 562,000 sq. ft. how 562K + 65K equals a million is fuzzy math. Some venues like to boast... but don't have the stats to back it up.

Detroit is at 658,000 sq. ft. of gallery space.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I'm still not certain that it is the 2nd largest.. if it is, it's not in gallery space, the true measure of an art museum. The most recent addition to CIA doesn't add up... They added 250,000 sq.ft. of which 65,000 sq. ft. were gallery space. Prior to that they had 562,000 sq. ft. how 562K + 65K equals a million is fuzzy math. Some venues like to boast... but don't have the stats to back it up.

Detroit is at 658,000 sq. ft. of gallery space.
    IMO gallery size isn't super relevant. You can have big museums with crappy collections [[Getty) or small museums with fantastic collections [[Barnes).

The best collections are Metropolitan Museum and MOMA, then probably National Gallery. Chicago is probably Top 5 in collection, DIA is probably Top 10. Other top art museums would be MFA [[Boston), Philly, Gugggenheim, Whitney, Cleveland, Houston, DeYoung [[SF).
    Last edited by Bham1982; April-09-13 at 08:11 PM.

Both Detroit and Chicago have contributed a hell of a lot to the world. They are both very important in the american mythology that exists abroad. The industrial heritage of Detroit is more iconic than Chicago's worldwide, if more homogenous. There is still a lot of mileage in both of them.

I think it's just nice for "us" to hear Detroit being mentioned as a Great Lakes city worth visiting and especially as an alternative to Chicago, which is what the article said. I, same as many others on this site have ALWAYS thought Detroit was a great city worth visiting but FINALLY we're being recognized for who we are by outsiders. I LONGED for the day that Detroit would be talked about in the same breath as Chicago and Toronto within the Great Lakes region. Like New York and Boston or Philly are looked at within the Eastern Coastal region.

We have theaters, museums, nice suburbs, historical ethnic diversity, a large body of water, Universities, Windsor, great live music scene and so much more. We also have a different vibe than Chicago and we should be proud of that. No matter what people say [[mainly Michiganders) Detroit has much to offer and people are realizing this.

We just need to rebuild our neighborhoods, get mass transit and grow our retail industry.

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    It's also a shame that the three major institutions in Detroit - the DSO, DIA, and Opera House - have all recently been within a few shakes of shutting down or scaling back. Such a scenario occurring at MOMA or the Met would be unheard of.
    But Chicago had similar issues with its symphony, and the Field Museum was in deep financial doo doo a little while ago, as was the Shedd, until huge grants saved them

I realize they need a lot of operating capital, but it seems like the Shedd went a little over the top in the last few years with its admission price. I can see where they might be in trouble. There is a tipping point.

I am still mad the U-505 is INSIDE now!

The author should visit Milwaukee. It's like more of the good stuff from Detroit, but none of the bad stuff. Sure it doesn't have a loaded legacy, but not everyone needs a model t ride or a skyscraper tour when a an amazing warehouse district and brewery tour are worthy substitutes. Oh yeah, rail access to downtown too. So along with that cheap beer, no need for a taxi from the airport!

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    The author should visit Milwaukee. It's like more of the good stuff from Detroit, but none of the bad stuff. Sure it doesn't have a loaded legacy, but not everyone needs a model t ride or a skyscraper tour when a an amazing warehouse district and brewery tour are worthy substitutes. Oh yeah, rail access to downtown too. So along with that cheap beer, no need for a taxi from the airport!
    No legacy? Haven't you watched Laverne and Shirley?!

The Art Institute of Chicago is the second largest art museum in the country behind only New York. I really wouldn't say the DIA is the same. It seems lame not to go to Chicago because they think there New York.
    You're confusing size with quality. Actually the second largest would be the Getty museum[[s) in Los Angeles/Malibu. Both may be large, but they do not have anywhere near the quality of collections as the DIA or the Toledo MA have. In case you have not been to the DIA in 10 years, go. It is probably as large as the AIC now.

I would agree though with your assertion that Chicago is a great city in spite it not being NY. No other City will ever have the waterfront parks or its retail environment.

I love Chicago and if I didn't like Detroit more or was driven into exile I would choose to live there. Call it my 'second city'. Both are world class in my book with great cultural institutions and histories. If you asked any reasonably educated person anywhere in the world if he or she had heard of either he or she would know of both.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    You're confusing size with quality. Actually the second largest would be the Getty museum[[s) in Los Angeles/Malibu. Both may be large, but they do not have anywhere near the quality of collections as the DIA or the Toledo MA have. In case you have not been to the DIA in 10 years, go. It is probably as large as the AIC now.
    I agree... the DIA has the 3rd largest collection of Italian masters outside of Europe [[MMOA and National Gallery are 1 and 2)... And in so many areas it's hard to compare Encyclopedic museums such as the DIA... with more focused museums... such as the Guggenheim, Freer, etc.

And the Getty has the best collection of 2nd tier artwork in the world...

The article blasts Chicago for lack of cultural activities, but does Detroit offer any more? What does Detroit have? The DIA? Lets include Henry Ford into the mix and you have two major cultural attractions. People are talking about Detroit in the past and Detroit did do more to shape the world than Chicago, but now I don't see many advantages. I've heard Chicago refered to as the city that works. I think that is fitting. Chicago is very American because it ranges from white collar executives downtown, to working poor families in the factories and rail yards, to the immigrants from many different countires, and everything in between. Chicago has grit and it has glam. It just seems like all the things mentioned in the article that are done in Detroit could be done in Chicago. Chicago has touristy areas but it also has real areas that don't get explored by outsiders.
    You don't even have to leave midtown for a great cultural experience so let's not add Henry Ford. There is more than the DIA in Detroit. And the people in this Metro area [[Detroiters and Suburbanites) are the ones to blame for not patronizing what we have right here for their current problems. Once we all realize we are the demise of Detroit, MI will be much better off

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post

I would agree though with your assertion that Chicago is a great city in spite it not being NY. No other City will ever have the waterfront parks or its retail environment.
    I recall reading long ago that the DIA had the third most valuable collection of any art museum in the US. Don't know if that is still true or not. I know what is on display at any one time is a tiny fraction of their holdings.

As far as Chicago's retail environment, I am not impressed - there are precious few things there that aren't anywhere else, and the stores are almost all scaled-down versions of the stores in NYC. Add to that the jumbo city sales tax and it is small wonder that many Chicagoans go to the burbs to shop, or to the outlet mall in Michigan City. I like Chicago best when it just is what it is instead of trying to be something else. As far as it being a "city that works," well that is a result of image control more than reality. It has many of the same financial ills, school issues and crime problems Detroit has.

Shollin Guest

Chicago does have high sales tax but Chicago has no city income tax. Chicago is much cheaper than places like New York, San Francisco, Boston, DC etc. If you think Chicago is expensive, go to Minneapolis. It's almost the same and offers less. All these criticisms of Chicago can be applied to Detroit. I guess I'm confused.

Chicago does have high sales tax but Chicago has no city income tax. Chicago is much cheaper than places like New York, San Francisco, Boston, DC etc. If you think Chicago is expensive, go to Minneapolis. It's almost the same and offers less. All these criticisms of Chicago can be applied to Detroit. I guess I'm confused.
    City income tax really wouldn't have much, or any really, of an affect on travelers like sales tax. The article was aimed at visitors. I haven't been to Minneapolis, but I've heard good things. I'm guessing its a viable alternative to Chicago; the author just mentioned one per city though.

I do have to say, I never once shopped in the suburbs when I lived in Chicago. That never even crossed my mind.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    City income tax really wouldn't have much, or any really, of an affect on travelers like sales tax. The article was aimed at visitors. I haven't been to Minneapolis, but I've heard good things. I'm guessing its a viable alternative to Chicago; the author just mentioned one per city though.

I do have to say, I never once shopped in the suburbs when I lived in Chicago. That never even crossed my mind.
    The author failed to mention Detroit's hotel and rental car tax. I'm not sure if Chicago has a hotel tax or not.

The author failed to mention Detroit's hotel and rental car tax. I'm not sure if Chicago has a hotel tax or not.
    16.4% on hotels. I did some bond deals backed by that tax.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I like Chicago best when it just is what it is instead of trying to be something else. As far as it being a "city that works," well that is a result of image control more than reality. It has many of the same financial ills, school issues and crime problems Detroit has.
    But I suppose it's fair to say that if Chicago is trying to be like other cities [[NYC) than Detroit is also trying to be like Chicago?

What's the difference? Show me a big city that is actually doing its own thing. Totally off the grid from every other American city? They're all the same to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I get your point, but the fact is that Chicago is, on the whole, much closer to a Detroit or Cleveland than to a NYC or London.

I think his point is "if you want an interesting Midwest city, you can pick the delusional wanna-be with high prices, or the signficantly crappier though completely undiscovered one."

He isn't actually saying that Detroit is equal or better than Chicago. I don't think anyone could make that straight-faced argument. He's saying if you want a world class city, go to one. And there's none in the Midwest.
    I return from lurking hibernation to say I AGREE WITH BHAM FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A LONG TIME

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    But I suppose it's fair to say that if Chicago is trying to be like other cities [[NYC) than Detroit is also trying to be like Chicago?

What's the difference? Show me a big city that is actually doing its own thing. Totally off the grid from every other American city? They're all the same to me.
    I guess they all seem different to me. Each unique in its own way.

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post

Well "totally off the grid from every other American city" is a pretty high bar, but I think lots of cities have a discernible culture - NYC, DC, LA, Detroit, Miami, Atlanta, Austin. I haven't been to SF or Boston, but I get the same feeling about them from people I know who have lived there. But I was trying to explain Chicago's culture to some visitors when I was living there and I really couldn't come up with anything. Chicago is unusually derivative for a major city.

I would agree that Detroit is trying to mimic Chicago in terms of some of its offerings and its relevance, but that's about it.
    Last edited by TexasT; April-11-13 at 01:31 PM.

Shollin Guest

I've been to San Francisco and I don't get the hype. It's nice but it seems fake. Not sure if they were homeless but there was a lot of street performers. Everything from jugglers, to banjo players, to mimes and there wasn't even an event going on. One singer came up to me and was singing songs about cities where people lived and I told him I lived in Detroit and he said he didn't know that one. Anyways I kept wondering where the real people lived. It seemed to perfect that it had to be fake.

I've been to San Francisco and I don't get the hype. It's nice but it seems fake. Not sure if they were homeless but there was a lot of street performers. Everything from jugglers, to banjo players, to mimes and there wasn't even an event going on. One singer came up to me and was singing songs about cities where people lived and I told him I lived in Detroit and he said he didn't know that one. Anyways I kept wondering where the real people lived. It seemed to perfect that it had to be fake.
    For whatever reason a LOT of people from Chicago feel the need to always bring up comparisons to NYC. They may be comparing museums or parks or higher education....or even architecture. NYC seems to come out on top in damn near every category and it seems to bother so so many people in the windy city. Why is that? On a side not, I'd take DC over Chi any day of the week.

Shollin Guest

I like DC. Being on the east coast has an advantage because you are about a 4-5 hour train ride from New York so it's doable on weekends or you're about 3 hours from Philadelphia. Plus the Virgina and Maryland country side are nice.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast