Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Regardless, he's absolutely correct.
    I strongly disagree. As someone who attends tailgating events such as opening day I make a concerted effort to walk my refuse to trash cans "if" they are available. And so do most people I tailgate with. More so, a lot of people will bring trash receptacles with them to aid in keeping a clutter/garbage free area in the lots. Perhaps they'll leave those trash bags behind, but logically speaking they are much neater than Fritos bags blowing up Grand River.

Did the mess get cleaned up yet? If so, why is this conversation still ongoing? If not, let's go clean it up.

Just curious - how do you know they were suburbanites??? Are you assuming that if they're white they must be suburbanites? Yes, odds are they probably were, but you don't know that for a fact. And I'm just referring to this trash-tossing incident. I agree that the majority of folks going down to Tiger, Wings games are not Detroiters, but that doesn't mean it's certian that any white person[[s) you see on the freeway in Detroit is not a Detroiter.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Shollin must be Jim Fouts.
    No, Jim Fouts seems way too provincial to troll an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SMRJim View Post
    Just curious - how do you know they were suburbanites??? Are you assuming that if they're white they must be suburbanites? Yes, odds are they probably were, but you don't know that for a fact. And I'm just referring to this trash-tossing incident. I agree that the majority of folks going down to Tiger, Wings games are not Detroiters, but that doesn't mean it's certian that any white person[[s) you see on the freeway in Detroit is not a Detroiter.

I already asked this. It's because they were "Lily White", drive Toyotas and they all had "I ♥ Royal Oak" bumper stickers.

It's the basically the reverse logic of what I use to identify Detroiters out here in the exburbs. Anyone darker than my hasn't seen the sun since September "Lily white" butt driving a mid 80's Caprice is a Detroiter. The "It's so Cold in the D" bumper stickers are also a dead giveaway.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; April-08-13 at 05:49 PM.

Shollin Guest

I know common sense on a Detroit forum can be trolling. This is the same place that things international attention for going bankrupt is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    Did the mess get cleaned up yet? If so, why is this conversation still ongoing? If not, let's go clean it up.
    Thanks. Funniest post on the thread.

Reminds me of the time long ago when I attended a meeting where everyone was desperately trying to determine a way to find out what information was in a certain file on a computer. That appeared to be the only purpose of the meeting.

After about 10 minutes of frustration I asked the obvious: "Has anyone tried to print it on the printer?" —Silence.— Everyone looked at everyone else then the guy in charge sheepishly asked me if I could help them do that.

True story. LOL!
    Last edited by Jimaz; April-08-13 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Where do you find important news of world events in the Free Press these days?
    My point exactly. They might as well print the crossword puzzle on the front page...Then I wouldn't have to open it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    That's one of the reason Ann Arbor is continually ranked as one of the best places to live and Detroit is not.
    Kids say the darnedest things!

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Kids say the darnedest things!
    Well it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    I strongly disagree. As someone who attends tailgating events such as opening day I make a concerted effort to walk my refuse to trash cans "if" they are available. And so do most people I tailgate with. More so, a lot of people will bring trash receptacles with them to aid in keeping a clutter/garbage free area in the lots. Perhaps they'll leave those trash bags behind, but logically speaking they are much neater than Fritos bags blowing up Grand River.
    And I disagree with you. Just because YOU hang out with people that do the morally correct thing as personally dumping your trash, doesn't mean everybody does. I've witnessed it far too often to think otherwise.

I know common sense on a Detroit forum can be trolling. This is the same place that things international attention for going bankrupt is a good thing.
    making the argument that people wanting visitors to clean up after themselves is the same as not wanting them to come down and spend money is not common sense. forgiving all suburbanites with comments like "trash cans blow over" while holding detroiters accountable for everything is not common sense. constantly talking about how great warren is is also not common sense...

your problem in all of this is that you think you're a sensible level headed person. you are not.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ5 View Post
    No, but do you think drunk futbol hooligans in those places don't leave messes behind? Mix lots of alcohol and a big sporting event and people are gonna act the fool.
    Would arson be one of the "messes" you're referring to? This was not just a post-game ruckas:

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2013/0...n-opening-day/

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    Would arson be one of the "messes" you're referring to? This was not just a post-game ruckas:

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2013/0...n-opening-day/
    I call BS. "Unruly Tiger fans" are now burning down Brush Park? Highly unlikely.

I mean, maybe there was an arsonist wearing a Tigers shirt or something, but I doubt hordes of Tigers fans are laying waste to the remains of Brush Park.

And how many arson cases are there in Detroit daily? I assume the rest don't count, because they can't pin it on someone from Livingston County or wherever.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    making the argument that people wanting visitors to clean up after themselves is the same as not wanting them to come down and spend money is not common sense. forgiving all suburbanites with comments like "trash cans blow over" while holding detroiters accountable for everything is not common sense. constantly talking about how great warren is is also not common sense...

your problem in all of this is that you think you're a sensible level headed person. you are not.
    Where have I said how great Warren is? I find it ironic people like poobert will attack Warren and then get mad when the same thing is done to Detroit. It is common sense when you have 45,000+ people gather in one spot there will be litter and clean up. I am quite certain there is a lot of litter around Atlanta. Its part of the cost of hosting large events. You can't have you cake and eat it to. If you host a party do you have all your guests clean your house before you leave? Do you have them wash your dishes? The Tigers hire a cleaning crew to clean the stadium. They don't complain at the fans.

Where have I said how great Warren is? I find it ironic people like poobert will attack Warren and then get mad when the same thing is done to Detroit. It is common sense when you have 45,000+ people gather in one spot there will be litter and clean up. I am quite certain there is a lot of litter around Atlanta. Its part of the cost of hosting large events. You can't have you cake and eat it to. If you host a party do you have all your guests clean your house before you leave? Do you have them wash your dishes? The Tigers hire a cleaning crew to clean the stadium. They don't complain at the fans.
    I DO ask my guests not to piss on the walls, please.....

how is the city hosting an event? it's a ball game and one of many we will have. the city didn't turn opening day into a big party, it was the fans, so lets not act like the city is putting this on. is the city putting on an event and inviting this every time a game is played?

to reply to your dumb analogy the people I invite over don't leave heaping piles of trash around my house. if they did though I imagine they would clean up after themselves. at least the ones who didn't blame garbage cans blowing over for their mess...

Shollin Guest

It wouldn't bother me none if the Tigers wanted to move to the suburbs. Detroit fought to keep the Tigers in Detroit and subsidized keeping them there. I guess they want to reap the benefits without the costs associated.

So when you invite guests over and serve them food or drinks, there's no dishes left over you have to clean? You must throw the lamests parties.

and you liken a few dishes to heaping piles of garbage being left behind? I think I just learned a bit about warren dinner parties...

how is the city hosting an event? it's a ball game and one of many we will have. the city didn't turn opening day into a big party, it was the fans, so lets not act like the city is putting this on. is the city putting on an event and inviting this every time a game is played?
    There, THIS. This is what I find offensive about the whole game, article, attitude. People spend whatever because they want to see a game, park their cars, buy booze and food, then feel somehow they're contributing to "Detroit", and it gives them entitlement to do whatever. Maybe the individual institutions you've decided to support will eventually pay taxes, [[or not depending on the write-offs), but you're not "supporting" Detroit. You're participating in an event in a place called "Detroit". Furthermore, if you trash out Comerica Park, they've baked in clean-up in the ticket price. If you trash out someones private residence or business, they're SOL.

Shollin Guest

and you liken a few dishes to heaping piles of garbage being left behind? I think I just learned a bit about warren dinner parties...
    If you're party hosted 45,000 people there would be heaping piles of dishes and garbage left behind. It's called life. In the summer I travel to different cities and follow the Tigers to see new ballparks. I've been to dozens of ballparks. Everyone of them had litter outside. Almost every business in the suburbs that has any sort of parking lot cleans litter. I'm not sure why this seems so foreign to Detroit.

Detroit fought to keep the Tigers in Detroit and subsidized keeping them there.
    Leave me outta this, I always properly dispose of my trash.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    Leave me outta this, I always properly dispose of my trash.
    What about your urinary habits?

If you're party hosted 45,000 people there would be heaping piles of dishes and garbage left behind. It's called life. In the summer I travel to different cities and follow the Tigers to see new ballparks. I've been to dozens of ballparks. Everyone of them had litter outside. Almost every business in the suburbs that has any sort of parking lot cleans litter. I'm not sure why this seems so foreign to Detroit.
    Agreed, except for college tailgating - most people treat their almae matres a little better than random public spaces. But driving downtown on Saturday morning, I was like, "Damn this place is trashed" but my second thought was "It looks like X Y and Z" places I've seen after a major event - in America and abroad. It's just usually cleaned up before you see it.

Shollin Guest

I got an excellent idea. How about getting Kwame and Ferguson, decked in orange jumpsuits, to clean the litter around Comerica?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast