Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Did any of these 40 and 50 dollar parking lots have adequate garbage containers on hand? No I didn't think so.

I don't care if there wasn't enough garbage cans around.

I would think their mothers would have raised them to know better than to go around trashing other people's environment. Pack up your trash with you and dump it when you find a garbage can, or don't make a mess at all.

I don't excuse Detroiters who do it either. But that said, there's a difference between trashing your own home and going to someone else's home and trashing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Did you piss in public or throw your trash out the window? If not, what kind of sports fan are you? You paid for a ticket, you paid to park your car, you probably paid for a burger before or after, that entitles you to come in and do WTF you want! After all, it is "DeToilet". On the WORST possible day of Detroit resident littering, NOTHING compares to a sports event.
    There's a class of people who go to events solely to 'party'. Blame sports teams for going after partiers with suites and premium seating.

For the most part, fans don't behave like that. Its hangers on.

I'm fairly new here, but I am astounded with the amount of litter here. I live near an expressway exit/egress and watch people throwing entire bags of white castle, beer bottles and the like OUT THE WINDOW before merging on to the ramp. At the St Patricks Day parade, piles and piles of garbage were left on Michigan Ave as well as the de facto "Parking Lots" in our neighbourhood, not to mention a famous, suburban dwelling, Pulitzer prize winning journalist taking a piss in public and picking fights with people. My neighbours, business owners and citizens alike, picked up after both the parade and Fridays opening day "festivities".
    It makes me sad that folks that would visit for the day, party and have fun couldn't pick up after themselves. It's pathetic, lazy and ignorant.

Shollin Guest

Here's a question for you How many of those "millions" you so generously spent in Detroit, actually ended up in the City's pockets? How many of those "millions" that Ilitch ended up with, actually go towards cleaning up the trash and urine left behind by those generous sports fans?
    Well I'll gladly spend my money in the suburbs since it doesn't go to Detroit anyways. Apparently it seems Detroit doesn't want my business.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Well I'll gladly spend my money in the suburbs since it doesn't go to Detroit anyways. Apparently it seems Detroit doesn't want my business.
    If that's what it "appears" like to you, then stay home. piss in your front porch, and litter your yard with trash. Oh, knock out a few windows while you're @ it, just for good measure.... I have a coupon for Red Robin if you're interested.

Shollin Guest

If that's what it "appears" like to you, then stay home. piss in your front porch, and litter your yard with trash. Oh, knock out a few windows while you're @ it, just for good measure.... I have a coupon for Red Robin if you're interested.
    Well I didn't piss or litter in Detroit but since Detroiters want to blame the suburbs because there was some litter, I'll stay in the suburbs. I didn't know a city where the citizens burned down houses for sport cared so much about litter. The point was you said the city doesn't see the money spent in the city. That's independent from the litter. Since you care so much about litter, I'll donate a garbage can and a garbage pick since there aren't many stores in Detroit that provide these basic necessities because Detroiters trash them.

I don't care if you're in your own neighborhood or not, there's no excuse for littering. That being said, trying to make this a suburbanite/Detroiter issue is just plain stupid. The reason there is a huge mess after opening day is because there were a ton of people down there, and the infrastructure isn't there to support the crowds or a quick cleanup. Go to Belle Isle after a holiday weekend and you'll see a huge disgusting mess that sits there for days afterwards [[I think it's safe to assume most the people there are Detroiters, but it's ok if you piss and litter in your own backyard right?).

Voice of reason here. All cities get trashed to some degree after a ballgame or major event. But the benefits of tourism and sales to local business far outweigh the negatives of trash being on the ground and even minor vandalism. You see, most cities budget for this kind of thing and the streets are swept up and buildings scrubbed clean only hours after the celebration so residents don't complain.

I agree 100% that throwing trash on the ground is disrespectful, not just to residents and businesses but other fans that should expect a cleaner environment. But again, most places are well staffed to handle this thing as it happens.

I should also point out that I've seen the people of Detroit throw things on the ground and some bus stops reek urine [[not that I want to tie back to that other thread, but it is true.) So I wouldn't start pointing fingers as really this is a problem that your city can't take of itself.

Instead of complaining figure out a plan. In our neighborhood we have a mandatory association fee on our block that pays for private security and trash pickup / sidewalk powerwashing. It's like $5-20 extra fee on your rent or association payment depending on the value of the apartment or condo. It was created by residents fed up with the tourists littering. Maybe businesses around the ballpark as well as the Tigers should be required to pay this if implemented.
    Last edited by wolverine; April-07-13 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I don't care if you're in your own neighborhood or not, there's no excuse for littering. That being said, trying to make this a suburbanite/Detroiter issue is just plain stupid. The reason there is a huge mess after opening day is because there were a ton of people down there, and the infrastructure isn't there to support the crowds or a quick cleanup. Go to Belle Isle after a holiday weekend and you'll see a huge disgusting mess that sits there for days afterwards [[I think it's safe to assume most the people there are Detroiters, but it's ok if you piss and litter in your own backyard right?).
    Yup, that article was ridiculous. The guys that own the lots that want to charge $50 for opening day and are encouraging people to park and party there should clean up their own lot. This whole trashing of Detroit is a bit ridiculous. Just another hit piece to divert the real problems and its not Joe from Troy Michigan throwing a 12 pack on the ground in a parking lot at the home opener....

Since you care so much about litter, I'll donate a garbage can and a garbage pick since there aren't many stores in Detroit that provide these basic necessities because Detroiters trash them.
    Thank you for that. And I'll pick up the tab @ Red Robin.

Shollin Guest

How about the Cheesecake Factory?

How about the Cheesecake Factory?
    NOW you're talkin'!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Voice of reason here. All cities get trashed to some degree after a ballgame or major event. But the benefits of tourism and sales to local business far outweigh the negatives of trash being on the ground and even minor vandalism.
    Take your reason and GTFO this forum! Unless your post is bashing suburbanites and/or white people, it's not wanted or needed on DYes.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I don't care if there wasn't enough garbage cans around.

I would think their mothers would have raised them to know better than to go around trashing other people's environment. Pack up your trash with you and dump it when you find a garbage can, or don't make a mess at all.

I don't excuse Detroiters who do it either. But that said, there's a difference between trashing your own home and going to someone else's home and trashing it.
    Even if it were enough garbage cans around, it doesn't mean some lazy _ss people would use them. Some would say "that's too far of a walk, I'll just drop it here".

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Even if it were enough garbage cans around, it doesn't mean some lazy _ss people would use them. Some would say "that's too far of a walk, I'll just drop it here".
    Now you are just talkin shit!

Part of the problem is that there are no public trash cans in Detroit. Hard to complain about people throwing trash on the streets when you don't offer them an alternative place to put it.

Also, since this happens with a bit of regularity, why doesn't the city have a better plan to combat the issue other than just whining? Whether the plans is to power wash the streets [[which costs money) or actively writing tickets for littering [[which doesn't cost money)? Seems like we have this same conversation every year but no real action taken to fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Now you are just talkin shit!
    Regardless, he's absolutely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Part of the problem is that there are no public trash cans in Detroit. . .

Also, since this happens with a bit of regularity, why doesn't the city have a better plan to combat the issue other than just whining? Whether the plans is to power wash the streets [[which costs money) or actively writing tickets for littering [[which doesn't cost money)?.
    Plenty of trash cans in Eastern Market where the majority of tailgating seems to take place, and open dumpsters, as well.

And writing tickets doesn't cost money? We can't even seem to pay for enough police to protect the citizenry, let alone go after littering. And then you'd need 25 8x10 color glossy photos with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one. Now that would cost money!

There's a million plus people on Woodward Avenue during the Dream Cruise.By 6pm Sunday [[the day after) You couldn't hardly tell anyone was on the street. All cleaned up like no event happened.

Quote Originally Posted by menckensghost View Post
    And writing tickets doesn't cost money? We can't even seem to pay for enough police to protect the citizenry, let alone go after littering. And then you'd need 25 8x10 color glossy photos with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one. Now that would cost money!
    It doesn't cost extra money when plenty of cops are already covering the event.

I can't believe I wasted hundreds of dollars in Detroit. After being unable to get off work Friday for the opener, I went to the game yesterday and stayed downtown to watch the Michigan game.
    Dude, that sucks. It sounds like you spent money for goods and services and had a good time. You are an example to us all.

I was deployed for a few months and unfortunately come back to find you still here [[for inexplicable reasons - self-masochism?) bitching about the same crazy bullshit. You make me wish I would get deployed again. Or they'd bring back the draft for angry old men from Warren.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Dude, that sucks. It sounds like you spent money for goods and services and had a good time. You are an example to us all.

I was deployed for a few months and unfortunately come back to find you still here [[for inexplicable reasons - self-masochism?) bitching about the same crazy bullshit. You make me wish I would get deployed again. Or they'd bring back the draft for angry old men from Warren.
    Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, you picked up right where you left off bitching about the suburbs. Next time you get deployed do us a favor and don't come back.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, you picked up right where you left off bitching about the suburbs. Next time you get deployed do us a favor and don't come back.
    You're over the line.

Shollin Guest

You're over the line.
    I don't believe so. Of all the posts he could've replied to, he singled out mine and suggested I be drafted. Apparently he wants me to get deployed for some reason. Don't know why he even brings his deployment up in the first place.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast