Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I get stuck behind slow pokes in the fast lane all the time. I never realized there were so many protesters out there.

You guys can be such ninnies, sometimes, I swear. Anytime someone stages a protest, all you can think about is how it might've interrupted someone's day for 5-10 minutes. Jesus Christ! Get a grip, it's not that big of a deal, and protests are integral to a healthy democracy, whether you agree with the underlying reasons or not.

But wait, I know. You think protests should only occur in cordoned off, predesignated areas at specified times. To that I say, what's the point?

This is someone who was involved in that reckless irresponsible embarrassing b.s. on the freeway. It shows the attitude of some of that lot. Always the victim I guess. http://oi48.tinypic.com/160wh35.jpg . Shes posting the usual blame outsider crap. http://www.facebook.com/catherine.s.phillips

"Catherine Sanders PhillipsAnother SUCCESSFUL Slow Down in Motown! We were stopped by 2 white cops [[male & female). I was accused of "inciting a riot," by the male. I wonder what he accused those that were driving 55 on the shoulder to pass us; while giving us the finger & yelling obscenities. Who's inciting a riot?"

Last edited by Drexciya68; April-06-13 at 08:35 PM.

Commuters to the Tigers game forced to drive on shoulder to get to game! Traffic slowed to a grind! Watch as life as we know it ends, tonight on Fox 2 News!

Yeah freeway road rage is real... I was made late one morning to work by the slow-downs. My employer was cool as they'd already heard about it from other callers. I quickly exited and took the streets. I wanted no part of it, proxy or otherwise. How are the policed determining who to ticket? The ones leading the pack or those right behind them as 'captive audience'?

Once a slow own is noted, per a wall of red brake lights in the distance everyone slows down, but an abrupt stop, or non-syncopated attempt to bring a row of cars down in formation can be deadly on the FREEWAY!

Who has the nerve to be the first row lead apply brakes with cars barrelling down on them?

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Someone is going to get killed. Either via car accident, or by road rage.

They're really trying to anger people who have jobs and pay taxes to Detroit. They're really sticking it to all the people that come downtown and spend money.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-06-13 at 07:49 PM.

That's an interesting perspective. Some would say Snyder is precisely doing 'his' parties bidding, but then there's idea that some would like him to have just let Detroit go on it's own trajectory downward... er go the 'let them fail' thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Thank G-d that Snyder has the balls to take on Detroit against the wishes of his own party. Leadership. Meanwhile, In other news, democrats pander and tell the public that its someone else's fault. Not leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Commuters to the Tigers game forced to drive on shoulder to get to game! Traffic slowed to a grind! Watch as life as we know it ends, tonight on Fox 2 News!
    You've only been here a year... so you probably don't know poster Fnemecek... who doesn't post much around here anymore.

He was minding his own business going 70MPH down the Jeffries Fwy... some drunk rear ended him going 100MPH. The other driver was only going 30MPH more than he was... and yet Fnemecek spent at least a week in a hospital before he regained conciousness.

Now you do the math on subtracting the speed limits for these slow driving misanthropes... 70MPH coming down the Chrysler... and you've got someone going 30-40 MPH slower than you. You don't notice their speed, because you're the first one coming from behind... KABOOM...

Anyone with half a brain [[comatose or not)... would know that this form of protest is a safety hazard. That's spelled S-A-F-E-T-Y....

What's not to understand?

There are slowdowns all the time on the expressway, and no one is hurt. I don't believe this situation was that serious. There will always be idiot drivers, but you can't constantly live in fear.

My point exactly - THANK YOU. Therefore, I have to assume the protestors are ok with the potential of and percentile level of collateral damage to make their point.

OK....

The victim [[collateral damage) of such could be anyone: A car with children being driven to school, a mother, father, son or daughter, anyone. Um, no thank you.

I'd like the protesters to state the risk factors to the media lest there be any misunderstanding.

As I doubt that will not be forthcoming. I'll take the streets for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ...do the math on subtracting the speed limits for these slow driving misanthropes... 70MPH coming down the Chrysler... and you've got someone going 30-40 MPH slower than you. You don't notice their speed, because you're the first one coming from behind... KABOOM...

Anyone with half a brain [[comatose or not)... would know that this form of protest is a safety hazard. That's spelled S-A-F-E-T-Y....

What's not to understand?
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-06-13 at 08:19 PM.

I disagree. I thankfully have a near exemplary 30+ year driving record, always keeping a good distance between myself and the other car and even looking far ahead to the 'flow' or change of flow of street and freeway traffic. The two car accidents I had on the freeway [[both only damaging my car) were due to someone stopping suddenly in front of me, so quickly I was forced to impact, despite my usual ability to drive around such a pending situation. Sometimes you cannot avoid an accident when the wall of a NON-moving car suddenly presents itself....

"Living in fear" is not the issue here. Mitigating risk is, or a missing man hole cover, etc. need not be part of traffic reports. Or further, we'd can dispense with traffic reports all together? I'm simply not going to risk my life or damage my car by driving in high risk situations.

There are slowdowns all the time on the expressway, and no one is hurt. I don't believe this situation was that serious. There will always be idiot drivers, but you can't constantly live in fear.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-07-13 at 08:01 AM.

Police have employed similar rolling blockades when VIPs are on the freeway. If I recall correctly, they even send cruisers ahead of the motorcade to block entrance ramps as it approaches.

It must be a very interesting choreography puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    In other words, pretty much every person that normally uses the freeway will be driving 80mph today.
    Orr seems to be gaining support....

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I get stuck behind slow pokes in the fast lane all the time. I never realized there were so many protesters out there.
    And a LOT of them seem to be from Ohio.

Oh yeah, my favorite... folks from outside to 'save' the city [[just like the EFM's). Fo' sure they'd stick around to attend to issues long term relative to any wrecks or injury. On to the next city and protest!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    And a LOT of them seem to be from Ohio.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-06-13 at 09:06 PM.

Yep, and there have been some deadly accidents from that too!

One of my wrecks was due to a state trooper jumping out of his car suddenly on the right lane entrance ramp of a freeway and stopping all traffic in my lane! This caused a big accordion of rear-end wrecks and we all received tickets. Joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Police have employed similar rolling blockades when VIPs are on the freeway. If I recall correctly, they even send cruisers ahead of the motorcade to block entrance ramps as it approaches.

It must be a very interesting choreography puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Make no mistake, these actions aren't just some stupid throwback from a bygone era. They are strategically planned and executed, targeting and disrupting specific supply chains.
    Yes, it appears to be planned by some real rocket scientists.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; April-06-13 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Yes, it appears to be planned by some real rocket scientists.
    Planned by idiots to support idiots. Not really sure how anyone can defend doing this crap when it hurts everyone and could cause someone to be injured or die. I bet the legislature will come up with a new law quick. Impeding traffic on a freeway will involved impounding the car and a 5000 fine and mandatory 30 day jail time.

^^I'm under the impression that some of these slow-downs are not being carried out by the ones doing the planning [[more than one group is behind this, and is happening more often than is being reported). The folks crawling about on the freeway have no idea just how much risk they are putting themselves and others in. The groups behind this have convinced themselves that this type of protest falls under the "non-violent" category and therefore is perfectly acceptable.

My biggest gripe about this slowdown shit? They keep effin up traffic on stretches of road that are literally ambulance life-lines. DMC, Children's Hospital, and Henry Ford are steps away from these highways. Freeway shoulders only help to keep the ambulance moving, you can't go very fast on them. If my loved one was to die in an ambulance because somebody thought getting their point across was more important than my someone's life... they better just pray.

I get what nain rouge is saying, about the cry-baby mentality of people bitching about protesters, like as if they belong in some "free speech zone." F*** all that. But even I, who tends to excuse most behavior that tight-assed regulars on this site complain about, recognize the danger behind sudden and unnecessary traffic slowdowns. There are other ways to do this that are just as effective [[or whatever) and less dangerous to innocent bystanders.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; April-06-13 at 09:56 PM.

^^^ Awesome Post! ^^^

You guys can be such ninnies, sometimes, I swear. Anytime someone stages a protest, all you can think about is how it might've interrupted someone's day for 5-10 minutes. Jesus Christ! Get a grip, it's not that big of a deal, and protests are integral to a healthy democracy, whether you agree with the underlying reasons or not.
    Sounds like you don't have much of a life.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Why does MSP tread lightly? They don't want to appear to be taking-over Detroit.

The protesters choose the freeways for a reason. MSP. If you gonna be arrested, make Lansing do it. They're not stupid. Or I should say the union leaders that are orchestrating this aren't stupid. Proof? They created that brilliant spin that democracy is being suspended. That's brilliant spin. Gotta give them credit.

Until the silent majority of Detroiters rise up and let the public know they are sick and tired of the same old corruption, oppression, and racism -- you can expect our officials to tread lightly. Thank G-d that Snyder has the balls to take on Detroit against the wishes of his own party. Leadership. Meanwhile, In other news, democrats pander and tell the public that its someone else's fault. Not leadership.

why do you think Union Leaders are orchestrating this? the lady who was interviewed said nothing of the like. I have ears and eyes with the local union leaders and none of this was of their doing. please don't start an arguement where none was given or started.

Quote Originally Posted by Drexciya68 View Post
    This is someone who was involved in that reckless irresponsible embarrassing b.s. on the freeway. It shows the attitude of some of that lot. Always the victim I guess. http://oi48.tinypic.com/160wh35.jpg . Shes posting the usual blame outsider crap. http://www.facebook.com/catherine.s.phillips

"Catherine Sanders PhillipsAnother SUCCESSFUL Slow Down in Motown! We were stopped by 2 white cops [[male & female). I was accused of "inciting a riot," by the male. I wonder what he accused those that were driving 55 on the shoulder to pass us; while giving us the finger & yelling obscenities. Who's inciting a riot?"
    Look who this woman's friends are on her facebook. The clowncil, various Detroit clergy and Detroit water Dept people. Stirring a useless pot.

Quote Originally Posted by fanniemae View Post
    Look who this woman's friends are on her facebook. The clowncil, various Detroit clergy and Detroit water Dept people. Stirring a useless pot.
    She sounds like a real asshole, if she is indeed a she.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    why do you think Union Leaders are orchestrating this? the lady who was interviewed said nothing of the like. I have ears and eyes with the local union leaders and none of this was of their doing. please don't start an arguement where none was given or started.
    I don't think Union leaders were behind the slowdown. I think they are behind the brilliant 'suspension of democracy' spin.

Were they? I don't know either. But the Watergate 'follow the money' approach leads me to Unions. Who benefits the most from keeping the EFM away? Unions. Not Union members, mind you. But Union management that needs dues to maintain power. [[See the new long-term contracts signed to avoid dues loss from RTW as further proof of how far union management will go to keep their subjects down.)

OK, taking a breath now... that's only my take on who created the 'democracy' spin that's inspired the protesters. Tell us your take. I don't know nothing. Am drawing my own conclusions from circumstantial evidence.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast