Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NoHeartAnthony View Post
    Hopefully with more space comes non-locked public washrooms. Or at least more surface area on the outside to let the vagrants piss on the exterior.
    I love the smell of fried chicken first thing in the morning.

One thing I have noticed about the Churches franchises in Detroit is that they are usually run by Hindu's or Sikh's [[someone can correct me if I am wrong) and they work very hard to stay and strive in some of the hardest/ harshest areas [[the one on Davison near Linwood comes to mind).

The few times I've gone in over the years they have been courteous and professional thru the 1/2 inch glass plate windows.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-03-13 at 11:29 PM.

I didn't realize how "programmed" I had become living in Detroit, until one day I stopped @ a White Castle in Monroe. There was NO bullet proof glass. It took me a few seconds, I didn't know what to do with myself, being that close to the clerk. The store manager sensed my confusion, laughed, and asked me if I came from Detroit. I think about that moment in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    One thing I have noticed about the Churches franchises in Detroit is that they are usually run by Hindu's or Sikh's [[someone can correct me if I am wrong) and they work veryhard to stay and strive in some of the hardest/ harshest areas [[the one on Davison near Linwood comes to mind).

The few times I've gone in over the years they have been courteous and professional thru the 1/2 inch glass plate windows.
    Zacha341, the glazing is actually 1/2 inch bullet resistant clear acrylic. Clear acrylic is better known by one of its trade names, plexiglass. Also the glazing could be bullet resistant polycarbonate sometimes called by one of its trade names Lexan. Most likely its clear acrylic due to the difference in price. What is usually overlooked is the cheap plywood underneath which provides no protection at all.
    I have to say there is commerce being conducted[[not perfect but much busier than most of the rest of the city outside of downtown) on Davison between the Jefferies and the Lodge. Plus there are Russell Woods and Oakman Blvd. neighborhoods fairly close by. I have a feeling that particular Church's is not as hard pressed as one might think.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; April-04-13 at 05:37 PM.

I'm leery of Church's chicken anyways. I've never seen chicken wings the size of turkey wings at any other chicken joint but Church's. They must inject those birds they use with steroids.

I like their chicken. On the other hand the whole place is rather greasy. Deliciously greasy.

BTW, deep fried is cool within a couple hours of cardio.

That corner deserves something like a StudioOne development. The bank there has a drive-thru in the back and side and so a ground floor Popeye's could do the same. Actually, apartments above, a Popeye's below, with no setbacks, a parking lot for both Popeye's and Rite-Aid and a drive thru could exist. An arrangement with the Garfield to build a 2-3 story parking garage on their lot for residents of both developments could work. At present, the configuration of the Church's and the parking lot are wasted space. Don't know, however, if anyone wants to live above a place that does so much frying though.
    Last edited by royce; April-04-13 at 01:29 PM.

Zacha, for a time the Church's corporate brand was owned by an "islamic venture capital" group, so I don't know if that had possibly anything to do with some of the diversity in franchisees in the past 10+ years..

from Wiki-
    Church's was owned by AFC Enterprises, along with Popeyes Chicken & Biscuits and Cinnabon, through the end of 2004, when it was sold to Arcapita [[formerly Crescent Capital Investments). Because Arcapita is an Islamic venture capital firm, pork products were removed from the menu after the sale [[as pork is not halal) in 2005.[5][6] Also, American Church's Chicken restaurants switched beverage products to Coca-Cola [[some locations serving Coke products and Dr Pepper), while still retaining the Pepsi contract in Canada.
    On August 10, 2009, San Francisco private equity firm Friedman Fleischer & Lowe bought Church’s Chicken from Arcapita

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    That corner deserves something like a StudioOne development. The bank there has a drive-thru in the back and side and so a ground floor Popeye's could do the same. Actually, apartments above, a Popeye's below, with no setbacks, a parking lot for both Popeye's and Rite-Aid and a drive thru could exist. An arrangement with the Garfield to build a 2-3 story parking garage on their lot for residents of both developments could work. At present, the configuration of the Church's and the parking lot are wasted space. Don't know, however, if anyone wants to live above a place that does so much frying though.
    And seeing you can smell the place from almost 2 blocks away. Well I guess you would get used to the smell after awhile.

But I do like the idea of a multi-story building that you can pass beneath to access parking and the drive through. It would be valuable to many tenants if Popeyes were to ever leave.

Yeah, that factor has always creeped me out! Chernobyl chicken. Ick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I'm leery of Church's chicken anyways. I've never seen chicken wings the size of turkey wings at any other chicken joint but Church's. They must inject those birds they use with steroids.

Thanks for the detail on the window plating. I think were they tend to operate they need it. Sadly the Russell Woods/ Oakman area has deteriorated. Especially on that side of Davison, aft and fore of Dexter on across Livernois.....

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I have to say there is commerce being conducted[[not perfect but much busier than most of the rest of the city outside of downtown) on Davison between the Jefferies and the Lodge. Plus there are Russell Woods and Oakman Blvd. neighborhoods fairly close by. I have a feeling that particular Church's is not as hard pressed as one might think.

If I am going out on the fried binge once in a while I prefer the home fried style over the mass commercial joints. However, sometimes fried 'yard-bird' from Churches has been fun. I like how they give you tons of napkins to sop up all the grease......

Quote Originally Posted by laphoque View Post
    I like their chicken. On the other hand the whole place is rather greasy. Deliciously greasy.

In response to the comment about Jets Pizza, how come there can be 2 Jets Pizzas within a mile or two of each other on Mack in the Grosse Pointes?

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    In response to the comment about Jets Pizza, how come there can be 2 Jets Pizzas within a mile or two of each other on Mack in the Grosse Pointes?

Hey man, I'm just telling you what my buddy told me. He already owns four in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post

Guessing that both Jets franchise locations are owned by the same person.

Also guessing that the soon to be Popeyes Restaurant at Forrest is owned by the current Popeyes franchise owner at Milwaukee.

I still stop in at the Church's on Jefferson occasionally. They have some nice folks working there behind the forbidding bullet-proof. The chicken can be good if you catch a fresh batch, with a particular type of crunchy skin not found elsewhere. And another thing that is not found elsewhere, even at Popeyes, is the de-licious fried okra... yum!!

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I still stop in at the Church's on Jefferson occasionally. They have some nice folks working there behind the forbidding bullet-proof. The chicken can be good if you catch a fresh batch, with a particular type of crunchy skin not found elsewhere. And another thing that is not found elsewhere, even at Popeyes, is the de-licious fried okra... yum!!
    I see the "2 piece dark for $1.49" deal is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Indeed. May be time to stop by again this week.

Popeyes Chicken must be looking for campus locations. I just happen to drive by this sign on the University of Illinois at Chicago, in the South Loop in Chicago.

However, this is not a stand alone store.

Name:  popeyes 001.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  43.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    When did it go up from 99 cents?

I never met a Popeyes, KFC, or Bojangles that i liked. I like Churchs though the location is often a determinant as to whether it is good or bad. Two piece dark, fresh from the fryer and fried okra is the best for me. My wife loves it too and often we will get an eight piece dark and take a couple of pieces home. sh also like some side jalopenos.

^^^ I try to avoid all commercially fried foods or fried, but KFC is the worst. Ick. I just don't like their recipes. Nasty! About once a year I get a jones for some Churches... with a bit of sprinkled salt. Pure decadence........

Inflation and rising food prices. The 99 cent menu has never made these joints any money long term. Thus, most have moved up their prices incrementally.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Since Clinton left office.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast