Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

If the shoe fits...

And it most definitely seems to fit Bing and Brown.

So being a part of the solution instead of the status quo makes them white on the inside?

Seems racist to suggest that only white people can be part of the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    So being a part of the solution instead of the status quo makes them white on the inside?

Seems racist to suggest that only white people can be part of the solution.
    Do you honestly think most people who are vehemently opposing an EM think that he is the solution?

No, his point is to intentionally "misunderstand" things, thereby getting a race dig in while simultaneously appearing to be totally offended by somebody "injecting" race into it. Classic OFWG move.

Is the Oreo joke about people who have both African and European people in their family tree?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Do you honestly think most people who are vehemently opposing an EM think that he is the solution?
    The problem with the people who vehemently oppose an EM is that they offer no solutions. At least not realistic ones. Hence why Detroit now has an EM.

For all of Malik Shabazz's inflammatory rhetoric [[literally inflammatory, as he advocated that Detroiters "burn down the city" rather than accept an EM), I don't hear him offering a solution.

Anyone else besides myself suddenly craving Oreos now?

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    The problem with the people who vehemently oppose an EM is that they offer no solutions. At least not realistic ones. Hence why Detroit now has an EM.

For all of Malik Shabazz's inflammatory rhetoric [[literally inflammatory, as he advocated that Detroiters "burn down the city" rather than accept an EM), I don't hear him offering a solution.
    We're not having a discussion about whether or not an EM is the right option. This is about the people who oppose an EM, and whether they themselves believe its the best option to fix Detroit. 48091's reasoning seems to be that Bing and Orr are being called oreos because they were doing what is right for the city -- not because others have a fundamental disagreement about what is right for the city. I was just wondering if I am interpreting him correctly? That anyone who opposes the EM must not have the city's best interest at heart?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I find it ironic that every time I mention race, you show up like a yapping little dog and spout the same inaccurate bullshit you always do about race, racism, and what I believe. Fuck off, Shollin...
    Hey, what about me? Just because I'm trying to avoid making the obvious statement about your obsession with race, doesn't mean I don't want your affection, ahmmm, attention.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2PF3acemy

I wonder what the level of outrage would be around here if Brooksie sent Malik a box of "nigger toes" one april fool's day. It's not racist, they're brazil nuts....it's just a joke. Right Malik?
    Sure you don't want to just say Ni**** ?

"Community Activist" Robert Davis is one of those who opposes the EM and even filed a lawsuit claiming that the state violated the Open Meetings Act. And just who is Robert Davis?

Davis, who is also a Highland Park school board member, is facing federal charges of stealing money from the district.
    Makes me wonder what the REAL motivation is behind the anti-EM movement. I think certain people are deeply, deeply afraid that the years of skimming off the top, patronage, nepotism, and theft from the taxpayer are now being threatened by the EM. After all, the EM is an outsider who is not part of Detroit's modern day Tammany Hall-style corrupt political machine.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    ...snip...Makes me wonder what the REAL motivation is behind the anti-EM movement. I think certain people are deeply, deeply afraid that the years of skimming off the top, patronage, nepotism, and theft from the taxpayer are now being threatened by the EM. After all, the EM is an outsider who is not part of Detroit's modern day Tammany Hall-style corrupt political machine.
    I believe most people are sincere. They buy the idea that this is anti-democratic.

Another group is simply using this to aggrandize themselves. See Sharpton, Shabaz, et. al.

Perhaps the largest forces are the unions. They [[and to a lesser extent their patrons/members) have been the best beneficiaries of taxpayer funded benefits which you either believe are appropriate and fair -- or you might believe have created a 2% of public employees that enjoy benefits they don't share with others -- while yet maintaining that them getting theirs is the road to everyone getting theirs.

Your premise that loss of patronage, nepotism and theft is driving this is in the right direction, but I think that most people are simply protecting their privilege. They don't see the skimming/patronage/nepotism as systemic.

I must say it is sadly entertaining to watch the movers and shakers of Detroit who seem to be stuck in a "racial time warp tug of war" continue their tit for tat struggle. It actually seems to get worse as time go on taking five steps back for every foot forward. Its like every topic or element of social interaction is a byproduct of whitey keepin a brother down or whites being scared by militant blacks...This vortex of a racist black hole [[no pun intended) seems lost to history.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    All that said, Shabaz, Jackson, Sharpton, et. al. are simply pandering. They are sad they missed the boat, and can only toss rocks at it.
    Well said Mr Wesley....this is the best description of these wanna bees I've heard in a long time.

The iconographic pointy-head klan groups 'literally' lynching is less of a daily issue or outworking of overt racism, white applied to black. Racism occurring now is from a far more generic form of white supremacy; diffused and usually absent of bed sheets and bonfires!

They don't just hold up in one political party either...

And then there's black supremacy out there too... but that has never had quite the head wind of white supremacy as a world view, where applied, IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    To me, overt racism is a klansman beating up and lynching somebody. Please don't dilute the power of the word "racism" by applying it to every discussion of race.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-02-13 at 08:36 AM.

Yeah I hear you. I am not down for Snyder's appointment of Orr, relative to the details that are emeging but this is useless as a response... this is the typical 'tit for tat' sharade - a base response that will be the undoing of any real progress beyond rhetoric for this city/ country at various levels of governance and politics, local and federal.

This movement supposedly offering voice to the 'the rank and file', while ignoring the power elite remaining within the city that brought us to this point FROM WITHIN - endorsed. This protest also further ignores the core continuing problem and employs revenge politics and useless symbols in this context. There are many black people out there who are not going along with this circus, who'd find themselves caste into the outer rhelm of oreo-land.

Oh well, and NO we're not a monolithic people despite rumors. So you best have a thick skin to walk against the grain in some issues of politics and public policy.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    I must say it is sadly entertaining to watch the movers and shakers of Detroit who seem to be stuck in a "racial time warp tug of war" continue their tit for tat struggle. It actually seems to get worse as time go on taking five steps back for every foot forward. Its like every topic or element of social interaction is a byproduct of whitey keepin a brother down or whites being scared by militant blacks...This vortex of a racist black hole [[no pun intended) seems lost to history.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-02-13 at 11:36 AM.

Well stated!

Black on black publicity stunts like this just 'devalue the actual overt racism'.

All that said, Shabaz, Jackson, Sharpton, et. al. are simply pandering. They are sad they missed the boat, and can onlhy toss rocks at it.

Quote Of The Day.........

Tracey Morris
    · Top Commenter · Usually sitting at A legal business Would have been wrong if Mr. Orr and Mr. Bing had accepted Mr. Shabazz's bag of cookies and given him a box of Fruit Loops in kind?

This is such a bogue stunt, it pitched me out of my lurker cave. Makes me wonder about Mike Duggan, who brags on his close ties with Shabazz as proof of his Detroit "cred".

Malik Shabazz delivers Oreos in an attempt to get publicity and he gets...... publicity. Whether or not you agree with his message is one thing but I think Mr. Shabazz wins this round. There's a story about this in nearly every news outlet in Detroit and hundreds of racially motivated comments thereafter. All about a damn bag of cookies which does nothing to benefit the city at all.

I wonder how Duggan feels about his boy Mr. Shabazz'z latest stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclid View Post
    This is such a bogue stunt, it pitched me out of my lurker cave. Makes me wonder about Mike Duggan, who brags on his close ties with Shabazz as proof of his Detroit "cred".
    Duggan is getting moving van quotes as we speak.

Hey, what about me? Just because I'm trying to avoid making the obvious statement about your obsession with race, doesn't mean I don't want your affection, ahmmm, attention.
    Ha! Well, you know me. I'm pretty free with my opinions, know they're often minority opinions, and really don't mind tangling all that much, because it often forces me to clarify my thoughts. At least you, Wes, haven't made it your personal campaign to follow me around a-yappin'.

Maybe I don't say it enough, but I appreciate those who post here, and generally respect those whose disagreements with me seem genuine. You guys are a smart bunch, for the most part.

Awfully trite, isn't it? Shabazz and other 'centrics in Detroit need to move on to something more real world and modern that has caught on with developing nations: making money. They could start by being part of a small business culture, and I don't mean just the church thing.

If he's a smart politician he'll keep his thoughts to himself... he knows not yet, fully, whom he'll need as a 'kingmaker' in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    I wonder how Duggan feels about his boy Mr. Shabazz'z latest stunt.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-03-13 at 11:00 PM.

Shabazz pulled an Earl Butz and is standing around grinning waiting for his cronies to laugh and pat him on the back. He deserves the same response Earl got.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2