Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Louie's Downtown Lounge?

Anyone know anything about this place? It's the building that was blown up during filming of Red Dawn, at the end of Griswold, on Clifford. This sign went up in the last week or two, but I haven't seen any news about it.

Name:  louies.jpg
Views: 2121
Size:  35.5 KB
    Last edited by Spartan; April-01-13 at 01:45 PM.

I've seen that some jerk has tagged it. I have also seen lights on the place recently [[within the last month).

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I've seen that some jerk has tagged it. I have also seen lights on the place recently [[within the last month).
    Maybe if there were big windows instead of that ugly brick wall no one would tag it.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Maybe if there were big windows instead of that ugly brick wall no one would tag it.
    That is a bit on the ugly side. Just a personal opinion. I guess it looks better than a gutted, empty building though.

There is a previous thread. It's the Louie's that are on MLK off Russell. I'm looking forward to their opening.

Quote Originally Posted by rutlev View Post
    There is a previous thread. It's the Louie's that are on MLK off Russell. I'm looking forward to their opening.
    any idea when that might be?

Quote Originally Posted by rutlev View Post
    Ha ha ha silly west sider! Those streets don't cross!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Ha ha ha silly west sider! Those streets don't cross!
    Lots of folks don't/won't make the distinction between MLK and Mack.

I see there is finally an "opening soon" sign placed above the door and seem to be activity there daily. Any chance this new watering hole will be opening it's doors in time for baseball season?

It's open.

It's much more Deluxe inside than the outside would indicate.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Pretty cool space inside. Went once and enjoyed it, will definitely be back.

As an aside, why is it MLK on the west side and Mack on the east side? Was Mr. King only deserving of half a street? Who is Mack and why doesn't he/she get a whole street?

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    As an aside, why is it MLK on the west side and Mack on the east side? Was Mr. King only deserving of half a street? Who is Mack and why doesn't he/she get a whole street?

Going even further off-topic, it's because they are 2 separate streets. I won't go into the entire history of the 2 streets here, but Mack has been a major roadway on the east side [[or the countryside that preceded it) for over a century and a half. Mack was named after a prominent early Detroit business and land-holding family, who were involved in the founding and early life of Pontiac, Rochester, and Hamtramck.

What is now MLK was Myrtle [[named for a tree, like other streets in that area), and it used to run only from Trumbull to the Blvd. It was extended east from Trumbull to meet up with Mack at Woodward in the late 1960s, and was renamed for Martin Luther King Jr. in the late 1980s.

Back on-topic:
    Nice to see Louie's expanding and coming downtown. I have often stopped by there for breakfast or a sandwich when I'm in the market area or coming down MACK. That building is ugly indeed, but it was always kind of an ugly, oddball building on an awkward lot. Good to see that they've done something decent with the interior though.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; April-22-14 at 01:20 PM.