Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
DaveWindsor is a little naive about how to handle the bathrooms.

Dave wrote:
>>You can simply put a sign on the door that says time limit 5 minutes in the bathroom. Staff can have a master key and barge in after 5 minutes instead of 30. That's up to the business to set the time limit.

Ha ha, that will work real well barging in on the occasional legitimate customer. "All right matey, you had your 5 minutes out of here!
No, not at all. Other cities don't have major franchises that don't lock their washrooms.

I never said throw out a legitimate customer. Just because the sign says 5 minutes, does mean it's a hard a fast rule. It's up to the staff to determine what to do. They can knock on the door and say, are you ok? If no answer, they could open the door as a safety issue if they think someone passed out there. They could as also ask them to leave. I've also seen no loitering signs [[15 minutes in the restaurant lobby) in these fast food places too. Why not a bathroom door?

Someone said 30 minutes was excessive. I responded by saying put up a sign that says 5 minutes. It's a suggestion and a recommendation out of courtesy, not a hard and fast rule.

Dave wrote:

>>How can someone bathe in a sink? Sinks are normally only big enough to let you wash your hands.

They don't sit in the sink. They just strip naked and splash handfuls of water all over themselves and everything around them.
Splashing water on themselves is not the same as batheing in the sink. You're talking apples and oranges now.

Whether they do strip naked sounds possible, but very rare. And if they do and someone see it, staff can ask them to leave. It's that simple. They can also give them a trespass notice to get out and not come back or call the WSU campus police. Businesses can do what they normally do when someone breaks the law inside a business?

BTW - have you ever splashed water on yourself in the bathroom? Maybe outside you were sweating and touched something dirty and then wiped your forehead and a someone told you had dirt on your forehead. You went to the bathroom to splash water on your face. Ooops. Some water got on the floor. It must have been the homeless person, right? Normal people would never ever splash water on the floor.

Dave wrote:
>> As for trashing the place, a homeless person can also throw a glass bottle or rock through a storefront window. There's a million things a homeless person can do to trash a business if they wanted to.

Sure, but do you want to sit on a toilet with oily fecal matter from a junkie? Have stuff stuck to your hands because you touched a latch? Have pee soaked tissue sticking to the bottom of your shoes as out? You would probably rather pee in the street.
First off, I'm talking about peeing. As a male, I don't sit down on a dirty toilet to take a pee or touch a dirty latch, though I always wipe the seat down with toilet paper anyway.

Also, it's not just homeless people that do this. Normal people can have diarrhea and make a mess. So can seniors. And there's a lot of students that are just plain pigs. I've been to many university and mall washrooms and even nightclubs that were completely messed up from pigs. These are not done by homeless people. That's just ridiculous. Homeless people are to blame for such a small percentage.

Dave wrote:
>>Those justifications for locking the bathroom doors are so weak.

Not really.

Then again, maybe we'll put Dave in charge of barging into the bathrooms and chasing the naked people out.
LISTEN, Midtown doesn't have a monopoly on homeless people. Crack and mental illness isn't limited to Detroit. Downtown Windsor has plenty of homeless people, drug addicts and the mentally ill and the national franchises don't lock the washrooms so everyone can piss in the streets. I've seen dirty washrooms and guess what? It's the responsibility of the staff to clean it up. Not to lock people out to avoid responsibility. It's the cost of doing business. How hard is it for staff to put on some neoprene gloves and run a string mop sitting in bleached water over the washroom floor and toilet every hour? It's not asking a lot. It's called being decent and taking responsibility, not being selfish and lazy. If an employee can't stand the heat, they should get out of the kitchen and work somewhere else. There's nothing naive about it. BTW--as I said before, McDonald's didn't lock their washrooms, so what makes all these other places so special??