Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Interesting arguments, but I will direct my thoughts back to Brush Park development. First of all, it's unfortunate that the Crosswinds' development "Woodward Place" was built when it was. That section of Woodward could have used several Ellington/Studio One-styled structures along Woodward. Actually, if they could put the residents in the current structures along Woodward somewhere temporarily, Ellington/StudioOne-types could still be built there.

Secondly, Crosswinds did not make good use of the alleys in that area. Sure they put townhouses facing them and made pedestrian paths out of the alleys, but they should have made those pedestrian paths wide enough for two lanes of car traffic[[a parking lane for visitors and a driving lane) and a sidewalk. It would have created more foot traffic in the area.

Thirdly, the townhouse concept where someone lives above you or below, in my opinion, was and is a bad idea. If I live in a townhouse I want all the floors to myself. Actually, the townhouses that face the alleys are more appealing to me than the ones that face Woodward and most of the side streets. These types [[the three story ones) would have looked better than what they have on Woodward.

Fourthly, a hockey arena along the west side of Woodward would be an awful answer to developing that area. Yes, that area could use some kind of development, but I don't think any kind of development is better than none in this case. Again, Ellington/StudioOne-types of development would be ideal for the west side of Woodward as well. Maybe even build a Texas-donut type of development. An arena on that side would only attract traffic on game days, but the area would still be just as desolate on non-game days as it is now.

Fifthly, M-1 rail along Woodward shoud replace bus service and go just north of Maple in Birmingham. That's not going to happen, but it would be a big step in showing the world that Detroit takes eco-friendly, energy-efficient transit seriously, even if that transit is only on one main street in Detroit. Also, as someone mentioned earlier, we snobs would rather ride a comfortable-riding rail car than a pot hole bouncing bus any day.

Finally, Red Cross needs to give up their land on the corner of Mack and Woodward so another Ellington-type development could go up. That would do wonders for that corner. Besides, the Red Cross doesn't need all of that surface parking. Indeed, they could partner up with the Ellington-type development and build a much needed parking structure for both concerns. Well, this has been my two cents.
    Last edited by royce; March-28-13 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Thirdly, the townhouse concept where someone lives above you or below, in my opinion, was and is a bad idea. If I live in a townhouse I want all the floors to myself. Actually, the townhouses that face the alleys are more appealing to me than the ones that face Woodward and most of the side streets. These types [[the three story ones) would have looked better than what they have on Woodward.
    Totally agree with this. My parents are in their 70's and are looking for a condo. Since both have lived in single family homes their entire lives, they are not comfortable with either the apartment style or the this arrangement. Both have mobility issues and they want to be on one floor. They sure the heck would not want to have one of the upper condo units where you have to walk up 2 stories to get to your first floor!

Seniors are the largest growing segment of the housing market. To have half of your units being the upper level of stacked townhomes is not a good approach.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    M-1 won't do much. This is not a major improvement to the regional transit system. It is an expensive way of carrying those who feel that they are to good to sit on a bus.
    Agreed. If M1 is ever extended to 8 mile or beyond, then BP will go crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Totally agree with this. My parents are in their 70's and are looking for a condo. Since both have lived in single family homes their entire lives, they are not comfortable with either the apartment style or the this arrangement. Both have mobility issues and they want to be on one floor. They sure the heck would not want to have one of the upper condo units where you have to walk up 2 stories to get to your first floor!

Seniors are the largest growing segment of the housing market. To have half of your units being the upper level of stacked townhomes is not a good approach.
    That makes no sense. You said your parents wanted one-level living. With the upper-lower arrangement, they could buy a lower-level single-floor unit, even if they didn't want an upper level unit . If you have a stacked unit, there are no single-level units and they can't buy any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    That makes no sense. You said your parents wanted one-level living. With the upper-lower arrangement, they could buy a lower-level single-floor unit, even if they didn't want an upper level unit . If you have a stacked unit, there are no single-level units and they can't buy any of them.
    He said his parents had lived in single family homes and that they don't like the apartment style. I think he was implying that his parents don't like the idea of having to share a building with another tenant. Detroitnerd would probably call them racists because of that.

Sure, but he was specifically saying that the unit-over-unit layout was bad, and that makes no sense in the context of older parents who want one-floor living. I think the best arrangement for older folks in the city is probably apartment/condo living in an elevator building. If I could get my parents to move out of their four-floor house, which is about as likely as getting them to move to a moon colony, that is what I would be advocating for them, unless I could find a house where they could stay with me in a one-floor accessory apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    He said his parents had lived in single family homes and that they don't like the apartment style. I think he was implying that his parents don't like the idea of having to share a building with another tenant. Detroitnerd would probably call them racists because of that.
    That is what I was saying. I have tried to get them interested in an apartment style unit but they freak-out at not having a basement or a garage to put their crap. Then they complain because the only thing they can find is in soul-less places in strip mall city. When I suggest them moving from a colonial to a nearby ranch in Rosedale they look at me like I am crazy as they have it in their head they want a condo with an attached garage. People in their 70's do not want a house with a lot of stairs. They want homes with less stairs. This is by far the fastest growing market. In Detroit however everyone thinks that having a house is normal, so this market segment gravitates towards ranch style condos, preferrably detached [[till they see the price tags against the attached ones!)
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; March-28-13 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Finally, Red Cross needs to give up their land on the corner of Mack and Woodward so another Ellington-type development could go up. That would do wonders for that corner. Besides, the Red Cross doesn't need all of that surface parking. Indeed, they could partner up with the Ellington-type development and build a much needed parking structure for both concerns.
    Great point regarding the Red Cross. I think it is really holding back the connection between Brush Park and Midtown. Having some pedestrian oriented development on the south side of Mack would really bring the are together. Right now, that whole corner is dead space.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    Originally Posted by mauser So is Crosswinds going to demolish the units they built that were never sold and sit abandoned before they build NEW units in Brush Park ??

Brush Park will be converted to "Brush Parking Lot" when they build the hockeyball stadium.

Most of are occupied not sure what you are talking about.

He's talking about the abandoned and scrapped incomplete condos at John R and Erskine, not the ones at Woodward and I75.

FYI the city wants to reopen Erskine all the way to Woodward, and is trying to get Red Cross to donate that land and possibly the land at the corner of Woodward/Mack. Not sure how likely that is, but obviously the city can't afford to buy it back from them.

Also, the master plan for Brush Park is currently being redrawn, with the input of the residences, to exclude developments like Crosswinds from happening again. Funny how they were built just 10 years ago, yet EVERYONE at the meeting with the city groaned in disapproval when the city planner mentioned them.

Crosswinds was in bed with Archer and family. It was his kids and Crosswinds that worked together to destroy the neighborhood by Sinbads after the CDC asked the City for help getting some infill homes on empty or abandoned lots.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3