Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. I thought the DetroitYes "party line' was that you are perfectly safe visiting Detroit as long as you weren't buying drugs and that Detroiters just kill each other.
    Many people who buy drugs in Detroit don't live in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Two thoughts in that sentence:

1. The only visitors in danger are those buying drugs.
    2. Murder in Detroit is primarily Detroiter on Detroiter.

You then try to say that the murder rate is not so bad because a bunch of those killed don't live here and imply that the denominator in the murder rate calculation should be the metro population and not the Detroit population.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Two thoughts in that sentence:

1. The only visitors in danger are those buying drugs.
    2. Murder in Detroit is primarily Detroiter on Detroiter.

You then try to say that the murder rate is not so bad because a bunch of those killed don't live here and imply that the denominator in the murder rate calculation should be the metro population and not the Detroit population.
    You are putting words into my mouth in order to try to make a point that is irrelevant to this discussion.

Yes, but a great deal do live here...

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Pittsburgh murder rate in 2011 was 14.3 per 100,000. Detroit was 55 per 100,000. That's 4 times higher than Pittsburgh. Detroit is up almost 100 murders since 2010. Detroit came within 6 murders of New York which is over 10 times larger.
    Sounds like you need to move to Pittsburgh Sholin, unless you're already there.

I don't understand the focus on the murder rate. Does the murder rate really matter if we don't look at who is doing the killing and being killed and where it's happening?

I have not read any reports of marauding gangs spraying fire at random passers by, or at people going to and from work in the CBD, or attending events downtown. Did I miss the reporting about people being pulled from their cars and shot in the street?

The vast majority of the killings in Detroit are black on black, or among individuals that know each-other, and/or is related to criminal activity. Is "murder rate" alone something a non drug solicitor, or a professional of any race should care about in a stable neighborhood?

I understand the focus on property crimes and the like, but why the obsessive focus on murder rate?
    Last edited by bailey; March-26-13 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I don't understand the focus on the murder rate. Does the murder rate really matter if we don't look at who is doing the killing and being killed and where it's happening?

I have not read any reports of marauding gangs spraying fire at random passers by, or at people going to and from work in the CBD, or attending events downtown. Did I miss the reporting about people being pulled from their cars and shot in the street?

The vast majority of the killings in Detroit are black on black, or among individuals that know each-other, and/or is related to criminal activity. Is "murder rate" alone something a non drug solicitor, or a professional of any race should care about in a stable neighborhood?

I understand the focus on property crimes and the like, but why the obsessive focus on murder rate?
    Thank you.

detroitrmc Guest

Wow. I haven't been on detroityes for quite a while. Back when it first got started it seemed that the name "yes" was the common theme. I stopped coming after all the negative people that seem to have nothing better to do but hangout on this website and knock detroit. I assume a lot of the people who regularly post here are not from the city of Detroit. Mommy and daddy told them years ago not cross 8 mile or they'll surely be killed. Why are you on this site. Isn't there another forum that's called detroitsucks.com for you to spend your life on.

I have lived in various locations in detroit over the last 10 years. I own a house and I also have rental properties. I have a business here in Detroit and I absolutely love being apart of this city. I have lived in many other areas of the U.S and overseas including Australia. I have not found anywhere else like it. This is a great place to live. A place where one person can really make a difference. A place where you can be as successful as you want or blend in and have your own piece of quiet.

So with all that said. Move to Detroit. Of course you need to pick the right area as you would in any city. Try east English village. If you would like to contact me directly feel free to reach out to me. Sorry you stumbled on this website first. There are many other sites that do not have so many doomsayers and people who only want to point put the negative.

Took the words right off my webpage DetroitRMC.

What in the world has happened to this thread? No communication, no civility, no topic, but plenty of time for erratic bickering. Poor woman wants to move to Detroit and has to deal with this foolishness.

Back to the original post-- take a look at Rosedale Park. We have a strong neighborhood organization, great neighbors, it is safe, walkable, and is a great location. We are a 15 minute drive from just about anywhere you'd want to go, including Windsor. Our housing is high quality and varies in age from 95 years to 20 years, and you can get a place with character in a neighborhood with character at a great price. No cookie-cutter houses. The area is overwhelmingly single-family homes on city lots with front and back yards. It is a designated historic district.

There are three main bus routes that converge at Grand River and Southfield. Yes, we have grocery stores, regardless of what you've heard. GRDC does a great job of rehabbing houses that need it, and have a good selection available, all brought up to standards. Here is more info on that: http://grandmontrosedale.com/program...enovation.html . The neighborhood is in an enterprise zone, so taxes are reduced.

There is a neighborhood open house scheduled for Sunday, May 5. That would be a great chance to tour the area and see houses on the market. You can view our neighborhood web site at www.mygrandmontrosedale.org, where you'll also find links to the sites for all of the area neighborhoods, including Rosedale Park.

Parkguy, great info.

I checked the site out and it looks like a pretty promising avenue to me. The O.P. said she lives in Montreal and that the cost of housing is prohibitive and that she wouldnt find what she liked. I am preparing to sell my house in the burbs to move to the city and housing has become pretty expensive here. The old duplexes and tripllexes are for the most part condo apartments, and new condo towers are pushing up the cost of smaller homes in the city.

I am amazed at the resources in neighborhood redevelopment that exist in Detroit. The houses I see on that website look pretty nice and are a fraction of what I would pay for them here. It is worth fighting for.

Grandmont-Rosedale seems like a great neighborhood. I've driven through it a few times and it's beautiful.

detroitrmc Guest

East English Village has a home tour coming up. That is how we fell in love for the area. We had lived downtown in appartments for the last 5 years and needed space for baby girl.. http://www.eastenglishvillage.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Parkguy View Post
    Back to the original post-- take a look at Rosedale Park. We have a strong neighborhood organization, great neighbors, it is safe, walkable, and is a great location. We are a 15 minute drive from just about anywhere you'd want to go, including Windsor. Our housing is high quality and varies in age from 95 years to 20 years, and you can get a place with character in a neighborhood with character at a great price. No cookie-cutter houses. The area is overwhelmingly single-family homes on city lots with front and back yards. It is a designated historic district.

There are three main bus routes that converge at Grand River and Southfield. Yes, we have grocery stores, regardless of what you've heard. GRDC does a great job of rehabbing houses that need it, and have a good selection available, all brought up to standards. Here is more info on that: http://grandmontrosedale.com/program...enovation.html . The neighborhood is in an enterprise zone, so taxes are reduced.

There is a neighborhood open house scheduled for Sunday, May 5. That would be a great chance to tour the area and see houses on the market. You can view our neighborhood web site at www.mygrandmontrosedale.org, where you'll also find links to the sites for all of the area neighborhoods, including Rosedale Park.
    Rosedale Park is quite beautiful but I wouldn't necessarily call it safe. This happened just a couple of houses from my brother in Rosedale Park to a man who could have lived anywhere but he wanted to live in Detroit. By now he and his family have left the city just like so many others.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/18...tside-his-home

^^^^ Yes, I remember that incident as I have family who live and have property in Rosedale Park as well and it was crazy that is took the police half and hour to arrive after the man had multiple guns put on him...

Take the wrong way towards Fenkell and instantly you're in a really bad area where I doubt the police would respond at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Rosedale Park is quite beautiful but I wouldn't necessarily call it safe. This happened just a couple of houses from my brother in Rosedale Park to a man who could have lived anywhere but he wanted to live in Detroit. By now he and his family have left the city just like so many others.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/18...tside-his-home
    Anything that happens to an individual is traumatic, for him, the family, and the neighbors. One can only hope that something like this doesn't happen, and work to make sure that it doesn't. I can only speak to my own experience.

Quote Originally Posted by omnishambles View Post
    I am thinking of moving to Detroit. I'm female, single, early 30's, overeducated, completely mobile [[could live/work anywhere with an internet connection), have $60,000 in savings and make $50-80k/year [[depending on how much work I take on).

Yes, I plan to visit before buying [[possibly rent for a couple of months) and yes I understand to do due diligence on real estate.
    Sounds like a good fit for Detroit and a possible nondescript asset. Has an income that could re-locate to any city with an internet connection. Buy real estate, spend money in the city and be a tax generator. Interested in Detroit.

Has anyone noticed that the OP with the question hasn't been around since post #34. I think you can stop worrying now. She's not coming. She probably felt she'd be safer in East St. Louis or Memphis.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Sounds like a good fit for Detroit and a possible nondescript asset. Has an income that could re-locate to any city with an internet connection. Buy real estate, spend money in the city and be a tax generator. Interested in Detroit.

Has anyone noticed that the OP with the question hasn't been around since post #34. I think you can stop worrying now. She's not coming. She probably felt she'd be safer in East St. Louis or Memphis.

Yeah, well you have to wonder about folks who start a thread working up a lather, and quitting long before everyone's input came in.

Maybe the tussle about who wins; the Pirates or the Lions had somewhat of a cold shower effect on omnishambles[[?)

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Yeah, well you have to wonder about folks who start a thread working up a lather, and quitting long before everyone's input came in.

Maybe the tussle about who wins; the Pirates or the Lions had somewhat of a cold shower effect on omnishambles[[?)
    Omnishambles is Oxford Dictionaries' apt word of the year. It is defined as “a situation that has been comprehensively mismanaged, characterised by a string of blunders and miscalculations".

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Omnishambles is Oxford Dictionaries' apt word of the year. It is defined as “a situation that has been comprehensively mismanaged, characterised by a string of blunders and miscalculations".

Story of my life all told. Too long for a pet name.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitrmc View Post
    Wow. I haven't been on detroityes for quite a while. Back when it first got started it seemed that the name "yes" was the common theme. I stopped coming after all the negative people that seem to have nothing better to do but hangout on this website and knock detroit. I assume a lot of the people who regularly post here are not from the city of Detroit. Mommy and daddy told them years ago not cross 8 mile or they'll surely be killed. Why are you on this site. Isn't there another forum that's called detroitsucks.com for you to spend your life on.

I have lived in various locations in detroit over the last 10 years. I own a house and I also have rental properties. I have a business here in Detroit and I absolutely love being apart of this city. I have lived in many other areas of the U.S and overseas including Australia. I have not found anywhere else like it. This is a great place to live. A place where one person can really make a difference. A place where you can be as successful as you want or blend in and have your own piece of quiet.

So with all that said. Move to Detroit. Of course you need to pick the right area as you would in any city. Try east English village. If you would like to contact me directly feel free to reach out to me. Sorry you stumbled on this website first. There are many other sites that do not have so many doomsayers and people who only want to point put the negative.
    I live in EEV too. Been gone a couple months on orders. Neighbors watched my house and shoveled my snow. Place is better than I left it. I just went out dining and drinking with my neighbors. I'd recommend this place to anyone.
    You just need to know your way around Detroit and then it is quite worthwhile. Meanwhile over lunch today one of my best childhood buds bitched to me about how he doesn't have any sense of community in the suburbs. Yeah, well, surprise.

I know I've slipped this in here a number of times. I realize that it shows a lot of overdone Detroit ruins by outsiders looking for good backdrops. It shows a crosscut of good times and bad times in the city.
    But somehow it seems to shed a positive about the city, at least for me. I realize we've discussed the fact that maybe the bar scene was filmed in Toronto or somewhere. But for some reason, for me, it ties the reality of Detroit, and its problems with being a great city. It is.

Detroit'67 - HI

I hear that, but of course the modifier is which suburb or area within a particular suburb re. 'sense of community'. Some suburbs of course rank better than others...

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    ....You just need to know your way around Detroit and then it is quite worthwhile. Meanwhile over lunch today one of my best childhood buds bitched to me about how he doesn't have any sense of community in the suburbs. Yeah, well, surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkguy View Post
    Anything that happens to an individual is traumatic, for him, the family, and the neighbors. One can only hope that something like this doesn't happen, and work to make sure that it doesn't. I can only speak to my own experience.
    How do you "work" to make sure this doesn't happen? Quit raking your leaves? This is just one of many such Detroit stories. I've heard it happening in IV, BE, and I'm sure you can find more, IF the police filed their report. I don't think jeopardizing your life by walking your dog, raking your leaves, or sitting on your steps reading a book with your daughter is a normal way of life.

wondering if the poster is regretting asking this question on this forum yet. so far all I have learned is that jt1 thinks Shollin is hypocritical and some blah blah about Warren.

If you want to live in an area bat-shit crazy about infighting - DEFINITELY move here !
    Last edited by mauser; March-27-13 at 04:21 AM. Reason: infighting, egofest

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast