Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default American Motors concept cars & dealership info

This is crossing over from the April Fool's prank pulled yesterday & posted on the Detroit side of the fence. A link to what Hot Rod Magazine pulled last year:
    http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...ars/index.html

If you want to buy a new AMC, you'll need to go to Collier Motors in Pikeville NC to get it; it's the last surviving AMC dealership in the world:
    http://www.gremlinx.com/AMC-Pikeville.htm

My first car was a '72 Hornet SST with a screaming 232cid straight 6. Not pretty, but that monster went to hell & back with me God knows how many times. It was christened The Rolling Circus.

Didn't the "64 Studebaker" have a 396 4 barrel ? A screaming 4 door.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Didn't the "64 Studebaker" have a 396 4 barrel ? A screaming 4 door.
    Can't verify that. However, here's a '64 Studebaker Police Car on Barrett-Jackson's website.
    http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...424&pop=0&it=1

ccbatson Guest

There are a few small companies that refurbish late model Jeep/AMC Grand Wagoneers.

Here ya go BigB!
    Take 'er for a spin!

A friend of mine had that car new, in racing green. Nice ride.

My first car was a 1981 Spirit, my parents bought it for me in Oct 1988. I actually drove that car for 4.5 years, great memories. Growing up, my parents owned a 1974 Hornet Sportabout [[wagon) and a 1980 Spirit. I'm still in love with the old AMC's, guess I just love the oddballs/orphans.

There is an annual AMC show at Greenmead in Livonia every summer. If you're looking for parts, there's usually a few swappers there. It takes place August 16 this year. They will also be hosting the national convention in 2010.

/AMC people, the dorks of the car world!

What a beauty! Talk about exuding class & prestige.
    BigB, can you check post #20 about a soda blaster?
    Thanks!
    I looked at the ad, and it seems like a good unit for non - commercial use. For media blasting though, crushed walnut shells seem more green friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    I looked at the ad, and it seems like a good unit for non - commercial use. For media blasting though, crushed walnut shells seem more green friendly.
    Thanks for the looksee & recommendation. I thought about using baking soda...from what I've read it's easy on the environment as well. One drawback appears that it's prone to clumping because of water buildup in the compressor line. I'd planned on getting a regulator to trap the moisture, but if crushed walnut doesn't have that problem & is competitive in price I can go that route as well.
    To be honest, I'm probably looking at 6mos down the road at the very earliest I would even attempt to do this. Despite my kids' best efforts I've managed to save a reasonable amount of money towards this project. I'm seriously thinking of going to the point of buying a rotisserie...there's a Northern Tool distributor in San Antonio which carries a few models. When I'm down there later this month I'm going to swing by to see them in person. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...9+78060+786208
    I'm interested in the $1299 version. I'll check out the parts stands/trees as well.
    I used to be a pretty decent mechanic, just very limited experience where body/paint is concerned. My next purchase will be a book titled "The Key to Bumping Metal" which I understand is excellent. After that it'll be a trip to a local auto salvage yard to buy some dented panels & start schoolin' mahself!

ccbatson Guest

How do you [[BigB) reconcile being a liberal and the interest in vehicles that, according to Al Gore, are destroying the planet?

I'm seriously thinking of going to the point of buying a rotisserie.
    Thats the way to go, but with your investment in equipment, seriously look at doing some other work after the project also. Maybe sharing the rotisserie through a car club for extra help on labor.
    Too bad you're not up in Detroit, I have a sh*t load of air and fabrication tools not being used.

By the way - did anybody hear a faint buzzing noise after Mopar's post ?