Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "one-OH-one point nine"
    you just don't like WDET

An Olympics related one- using "medal" as a verb.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Oh thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    They've used that for as long as I can remember

I really prefer to use zero when "0" comes up, but in radio talk and communication "Oh" is preferred.

"one-OH-one point nine"

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    They've used that for as long as I can remember
    Yes, and it's always been terrible mis-usage, which is difficult to forgive, given that there are several simple alternatives.

"one-OH-one point nine"
    C'mon. Nobody does that in any other way. Never, in any city, have I heard an FM station at 101 or higher say "zero."
    I think rb336 is on to something; perhaps you just don't like WDET.
    If that's the case, we may be kindred spirits, as I-- a long-time listener-- find WDET to be less enjoyable, and more tedious, than it was in times past.

you just don't like WDET
    You're basing this on what?

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    C'mon. Nobody does that in any other way. Never, in any city, have I heard an FM station at 101 or higher say "zero."
    I think rb336 is on to something; perhaps you just don't like WDET.
    If that's the case, we may be kindred spirits, as I-- a long-time listener-- find WDET to be less enjoyable, and more tedious, than it was in times past.
    Next time you punch in your code to extract money out of your ATM, or write code, or any of the other 20-gazillion possibilities, be sure to try O's instead of 0's. Let me know how that works out. And this is a COLLEGE radio station.

Oooh, >BURN.<
    Well, I guess you told me.
    Chastened & chased, I am.

Next time you punch in your code to extract money out of your ATM, or write code, or any of the other 20-gazillion possibilities, be sure to try O's instead of 0's. Let me know how that works out. And this is a COLLEGE radio station.
    That is absurd. use of the verbal "oh" instead of zero has been common practice in vocal communications for ages. If you have issues discerning from context if they mean 0 or O, then, well, you have issues.

That is absurd. use of the verbal "oh" instead of zero has been common practice in vocal communications for ages. If you have issues discerning from context if they mean 0 or O, then, well, you have issues.
    Well Thanx, Mr. Keyboard Psychiatrist, your forming opinions and name calling after reading one post, and I have issues.....

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I really prefer to use zero when "0" comes up, but in radio talk and communication "Oh" is preferred.
    That's preference, which I understand, but these are station NUMBERS. "OH" is a letter.

Well on a similar vein as the ad hominen goose egg posts...

The people who developed "sans serif" type face should have been shot!

It is thanks to them that several news broadcasters made the same faux pas 3 years ago when North Korea's former fearless leader KIM JONG IL died. Except on sans serif upper/lower case it comes out as "Kim Jong Il" [[the DYES font isn't as bad as most)... and many broadcasters called him "Kim Jong the second".

Couldn't a better differentiation between a capital "I" and a lower case "l" be found??

I had a math teacher that told a story about how he got into an argument with a telephone operator about this very subject. The operator explained that the reason they're trained to say "oh" is that "zero" can be mistakenly heard as "three oh."

"Nine" and "five" can be confused so radio operators differentiate between the two by saying "niner" and "fife."

I keep a list of the NATO phonetic alphabet by the phone. It helps to remove ambiguity as a factor in potential communications problems. With customer service representatives [[e.g.) it also implicitly conveys the idea that you're as concerned about accurate communication as they are trained to be. You get more respect and cooperation as a result.
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-21-14 at 11:24 PM.

Maybe it's a whippersnapper thing, the oh and zero argument. Probably before computers started making them look different, Oh was the norm when giving street or phone numbers. Say Hawaii 5-0, It's Five OH, not Five Zero. For phone numbers, you dialed Oh for the Operator.

Here's Lonesome 77203 from 1963:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkYvAsohBhc

And Echo Valley 26809, Partridge Family:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfe9t-4FnjM&feature=kp

Just goes to show you, just because there is more than one way to skin a cat, doesn't mean the other way is wrong. [[Mixing enough metaphors here?)

Makes me yearn for the original 107.5 on the FM dial, which was stated as:

One "OH" SEVEN-Point-FIVE
    ! LOL!

That's preference, which I understand, but these are station NUMBERS. "OH" is a letter.

Makes me yearn for the original 107.5 on the FM dial, which was stated as:

One "OH" SEVEN-Point-FIVE
    ! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Maybe it's a whippersnapper thing, the oh and zero argument. Probably before computers started making them look different, Oh was the norm when giving street or phone numbers. Say Hawaii 5-0, It's Five OH, not Five Zero. For phone numbers, you dialed Oh for the Operator.

Here's Lonesome 77203 from 1963:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkYvAsohBhc

And Echo Valley 26809, Partridge Family:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfe9t-4FnjM&feature=kp

Just goes to show you, just because there is more than one way to skin a cat, doesn't mean the other way is wrong. [[Mixing enough metaphors here?)
    YES, both of you STOP, you're hurting me, I GIVE! The part that gets me is when Ann Delisi gives away tickets, she makes it a point to tell the audience to dial 313-577-1-ZERO-19. OH, I guess the other one wouldn't work there.

Don't forget 8675-3-OH-9....

Been there, done that.

Phrases that need to disappear

zed.....

Phrases that need to disappear

zed.....
    now you're just hatin' on the Brits

now you're just hatin' on the Brits
    [[Canadians, Eh?)

Over-using "tone-deaf," "nuanced," & "narrative."

Beginning answers-- or even regular statements-- with "So,..."

For the "35 & younger" crowd: stop saying that everything is "amazing," and if you insist on doing so, at least stop pronouncing it as "ameezing."
    Last edited by NickCharles; March-02-14 at 11:00 AM.

[[Canadians, Eh?)

Yes, and "z" in french is also pronounced as zed. Double whammy.

Life-hack applied to anything. or anything-hack. Hack should return to chopping wood, cabbies [[or horses) breaking in to computer networks and describing certain writers

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast