Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Worthy vs Ficano? Prosecutors Fail to Show in Court as Feud Deepens

Bob Ficano seems to be filling the vacuum left by Kwame Kilaptrick's being sent packing to Milan.

A growing feud between Kim Worthy and Bob Ficano over the cut in funding of the Wayne County Prosecutor Office led to a failure of prosecutors to show up in traffic court today.

Chief Judge Kenneth King told Deadline Detroit that no county prosecutors showed up in court Monday morning for the traffic and ordinance violations, the biggest revenue generator for a court that has been hurting for money. He said about 70 percent of the traffic and ordinance violations are handled by city attorneys -- who are still showing up -- but the remainder are handled by the prosecutor's office.

King said one of his judges asked about the whereabouts of the prosecutors Monday morning and was told by the prosecutor's office that it wouldn't send anyone for the traffic and ordinance docket until a budget standoff is resolved.
    Deadline Detroit Article by Alan Lengel

The article did not mention what happens in a situation where defendants show up but there is no prosecution. So what happens? Do their tickets get tossed?

Interesting. I really wish the Feds would bring fourth the case the have against him already. I have the same kind of anger and disgust for Ficano that I have for Kwame. Both are career politicians that use their office to enrich themselves at the expense of the taxpayers.

After hearing Kym Worthy on Craig Fahle this AM it is time to change the Thread title and bump this.

She made very convincing points about how the prosecutor's office is a mandated function of Wayne County and how Ficano, who it was clear from her tone she thinks very lowly of, is not meeting that mandate and indeed, using funds for non-mandated service ahead of the prosecutor's budget.

Another point she scored was how he reneged on a previous funding agreement by considering previous operational items that were outside the budget as now part of the budget, thereby effectively reducing the total budget.

The dispute has led her to file what is essentially a breach of contract suit against the County.

She stumbled a bit over the question of why the no-show prosecution was solely at 36th District and not at other venues.

This feud leads to my question. If Worthy decided to launch a primary challenge against Ficano who do you think would prevail?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    She stumbled a bit over the question of why the no-show prosecution was solely at 36th District and not at other venues.
    She knows the ghetto always suffers first, but also knows what happened to the last woman who openly considered the 36th that way.

If Kym Worthy and Robert Ficano shared the same stage in a verbal debate, Ficano would leave in pieces. Then again, it isn't tough to shred paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    ... The article did not mention what happens in a situation where defendants show up but there is no prosecution. So what happens? Do their tickets get tossed?
    From today's Free Press: Prosecutors miss their day in court amid Ficano-Worthy budget brawl
    Jamaris Smith saved hundreds of dollars Monday when he beat two tickets in 36th District Court in Detroit for the unlikeliest of reasons: The prosecutor never showed up....

For defendants such as Smith, Monday’s no-show by county prosecutors brought an unexpected windfall.

“If [[sic) felt great that I didn’t have to pay all that extra money,” Smith, 23, of Detroit said as he walked out of court....

Besides not covering traffic cases, including drunken driving cases, prosecutors will also determine on a day-by-day basis whether they can cover the misdemeanor domestic-violence docket — cases that could turn into murders later if they aren’t followed properly, Worthy said.

Additionally, she warned, prosecutors won’t have time to prepare their cases and witnesses and if they don’t get a conviction, a case can’t be retried.
    Yikes. I've never heard of such a situation before. I suppose it could come up during a natural disaster or in wartime though.

I've not been very impressed with Worthy before, but she was powerful on Craig Fahle's show today.

We don't really know what's going on, but she's certainly willing to press the nuclear button on this. She no doubt knows just how vulnerable he is right now -- especially on the tails of giving a $105k retiree another $50k. It screams political patronage. You mean you can't find anyone else qualified to run an alternative workforce crew? Or to drive you around? There's a story that we need to hear about his connections to this guy -- I doubt that he's just the lucky Wayne Country lottery winner this week. There's a story.

Back to the main story, what's really going on here? Why did Worthy take on Ficano? Ficano must be torturing her. Probably for a good reason. She clearly has decided that an attack is her best defense. I hope she's sincere and I hope she hasn't acted too politically here.

Fasten your political seat belts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Back to the main story, what's really going on here? Why did Worthy take on Ficano?
    Because she thinks that there's more to these cuts than just, "budget reduction." http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...cutor-s-office

There may indeed be more to this than what meets the eye.

We've long suspected that Ficano was on the dirty side of the law...tainted in the ways only those associated with the old McNamara regime can stink.

Perhaps this is more proof that Worthy largely sits tipping the scales towards justice? Ficano getting back at her for daring to stand up against the Kwhyme juggernaut...since EVERYONE knew it would lead back to McNamara alumnus sprinkled throughout city, county, and state government, including the judicial branch?!

Anyone else remember her desire to get the entire 36th District Court eliminated from qualification to adjudicate the earliest Kwhyme crimes?! She was spot-on with that, from all reports.

And seems spot-on with this latest conflict, too. Fuck Bob Ficano and those like him who continue to screw up this place for their profit and power tripping.

Sincerely,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; March-20-13 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    There may indeed be more to this than what meets the eye.
    ...snip...Ficano getting back at her for daring to stand up against the Kwhyme juggernaut...since EVERYONE knew it would lead back to McNamara alumnus sprinkled throughout city, county, and state government, including the judicial branch?!...snip...And seems spot-on with this latest conflict, too. Fuck Bob Ficano and those like him who continue to screw up this place for their profit and power tripping...
    When government exists to protect itself and enjoy privilege, I'm really glad to see it collapse. I do hope Worthy is doing this for the right reasons. If so, she'll be one of the few heros through this mess.

Default Worthy v. Ficano

The war is on. Hope Ms Worthy wins. she is, by a long shot, the most competent public servant in the area.

Bob holds the purse strings for now. It will be interesting if he can win another election. She may outlast him and get her way.

Ficano is Kwame 2.0 - The next chapter.

Here's to a revolution of justice in SE MI aimed at rooting out corrupt public servants. Even the term "public servants" makes me cringe anymore. They don't serve the public. Just their fat gullets.

Can anyone say more about Ms. Worthy? I don't know as much as I should. This battle is going to be very interesting.

Kym Worthy first rose to prominence during the Malice Greene affair. She was a very tough prosecutor, winning 90% of the cases that went to trial. She has balanced the budget of her office for the last several years, pushed to improve the competence of the Detroit Crime Lab, led the push for taking care of those lost rape kits. She has a stellar record, in my opinion. I would vote for her for mayor or to take Ficano's job. Actually, I think having her as County Exec and Duggan as mayor would be great for the area.

She's a competent, confident and tough lady, perfectly suited for her current position.

I've wondered for a long time where her professional ceiling might be.

C

I'd approve Ficano having a 4th driver..... if he drove him out of office.

I wish there was some way Snyder could remove Ficano from office. That idea does seem out there, and would get challenged by the courts to be sure. If Snyder can put an EFM in Detroit, maybe he can do something about this crud Ficano. I have always thought Worthy's heart and mind are in the right place. Except for the Malice Green trial, but that is another argument for another time. Worthy does care about Detroit in an unselfish manner.

m b v Guest

Can anyone confirm that Ficano is still being investigated or did the feds investigation fail to find anything substantial on him?

Quote Originally Posted by m b v View Post
    Can anyone confirm that Ficano is still being investigated or did the feds investigation fail to find anything substantial on him?
    The Feds are like a silent killer. One day they appear after finding all they're after, and you're done. They don't publicize too much.

I worked for the Fed. Buereau of Prisons and sometimes investigations take years. But when it's over, just like KMK, you have a new address.

is there any way to settle this at the state or federal level? It seems very bizarre for this virtual p****ing match to take place..

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Fasten your political seat belts.
    It's going to be a bumpy ride! Stay tuned!!

Wayne Co. prosecutor lashes out at Ficano in wake of layoffs

See full video and read: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/21...#ixzz2O8bV8u1B
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-20-13 at 10:31 PM.

"Our beginning APAs make $46,000 a year, that's all they make, $9,000 less than the driver Mr. Fiacno wanted," said Worthy."

I LIKE her.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; March-21-13 at 06:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast