Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    They do have some control. Think of all of the bleating that goes on in here about people wanting to work in a "vibrant downtown" so that employers are "forced" to move into the inner city from the suburbs so that they can get and keep employees. If the downtown [[AND the commute) are not considered secure, the employees will through both positive and negative pressure force the company to relocate away from a "undesirable downtown".

While the employer may be in love with his skyscraper in the city, he may be force to relocate to a suburban office campus to get and keep the kind of employees he needs.
    I doubt employers are too worried about losing talent, given the absolute glut of unemployed people in Michigan they can replace them with, and likewise I doubt employees would quit a good job despite it locating in Detroit given the lack of good jobs available elsewhere.

Besides, Campbell Ewald is likely proving your theory wrong.

In any event, my comment was sorta/kinda tongue-in-cheek.

What Mr. Kenyatta overlooks is that a slow motion insurrection has been going on for decades. True it is not organized and purposeful with a noble goal of keeping him and his likes holding the reigns of power in representative government. Instead it is a collection of aimless, self-centered individual criminal actions. But the death, mayhem and destruction of the city is far bigger in its totality than 1967.

The conditions for an 1967-style insurrection do not exist. A teeming population of both middle class and poor with a long history of mistreatment ghettoized in confined areas with a politicized backdrop of an energized and youthful civil rights movement is no more.

The middle class has been largely accommodated and left the city. Radical leadership is absent. Even the leader of the Black Panthers has become an aging caricature on the take of an eccentric billionaire. The only remotely relevant group that might might provide leadership is the marginalized BAMN [By Any Means Necessary].

Maybe the outside occupation will regenerate structured resistance. It we look back at what happened after the occupation of Iraq, it took a while for the resistance to arise and organize, and that after the occupation forces failed to provide things like electricity and security.

Essentially the clock starts today. The governor [its his baby now] and his EFM have a very short period to get things done to where the long-suffering citizens of Detroit can say, "Hey, thing ARE getting better." They need to provide immediate relief to the citizens. If their goal is to take away self-governance to cut services and auction of assets to protect the bondholders of the City of Detroit's debt they are headed for disaster.

Tick tock.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    To be fair, I'm sure majority of the folks commuting that morning on I-94 were from MAcomb County and Grosse Pointe and really can't control the fact that their job is in Detroit.
    Actually, it was on EAST BOUND I-94, so those of us coming in from the west were affected. We were affected again today.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    How does ruining Detroit's economy punish anyone in Lansing?

What a great idea. Destroy what little economic activity remains. Punish people who are trying to go to work IN Detroit. Make life harder for the people who live IN the city. That'll show those fat cats in Lansing!
    This is quite a stretch and dollar wise not that material, but it can be argued that MSP resources were wasted in addressing those drivers who caused the slowdowns.

I was on eastbound 94 from Midtown to Chalmers area around 8 AM. I saw nothing but the usual backup 'westbound'.

What do the protesters do? Get on the freeway together then line up, side by side and all slow down across all three lanes?

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Actually, it was on EAST BOUND I-94, so those of us coming in from the west were affected. We were affected again today.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    While the employer may be in love with his skyscraper in the city, he may be force to relocate to a suburban office campus to get and keep the kind of employees he needs.
    But, Hermod, I thought you believed that people go where the jobs are, regardless of whether it's downtown or suburbia!

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    They keep getting reelected don't they? To me, it's more like where do the people that keep voting for them come from?
    This is proof that the EFM is actually democratically elected. Citizens voted. And they got what they voted for.

The problem is only one of misleading product advertising. Kenyatta advertises racism, but he was actually a vote for EFM.

There are peaceful ways to protest. Slowing down traffic , making good people late for work is not one of them. Arrest those fools going slow and backing up traffic. Innocent people could get hurt in an accident. If this happens again, MSP needs to arrest these fools ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by fanniemae View Post
    There are peaceful ways to protest. Slowing down traffic , making good people late for work is not one of them. Arrest those fools going slow and backing up traffic. Innocent people could get hurt in an accident. If this happens again, MSP needs to arrest these fools ASAP.
    Might also help their cause if several didn't have outstanding warrants, suspended drivers' licenses, or illegal gun possession.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013031...ancial-manager

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    This is proof that the EFM is actually democratically elected. Citizens voted. And they got what they voted for.

The problem is only one of misleading product advertising. Kenyatta advertises racism, but he was actually a vote for EFM.

But claiming to be disenfranchised plays so much better to the masses

Yikes! Have your paper work together before engaging in protest ----!

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Might also help their cause if several didn't have outstanding warrants, suspended drivers' licenses, or illegal gun possession.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013031...ancial-manager

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3