Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Yes she is but they are only in his mind! As you can see he has not responded only you why is that?
    Dude, you just lost your creditability with me. Goodnight.

Quote Originally Posted by ccal View Post
    Dude, you just lost your creditability with me. Goodnight.
    Good stick to subjects you know!
    Last edited by p69rrh51; March-14-13 at 11:07 PM.

What I do know is this, black people go out to Somerset on daily basis to steal one way or another
    You know this based on what?

Quote Originally Posted by Novine
    I was hoping that the next generation would have left the racial stereotyping behind
    Quote Originally Posted by ccal
    What the hell are you talking about, I'm black, born and raised in Detroit. Nothing I have said is wrong or not true. Black people go out to Somerset on a daily basis to steal because thats where the best stuff is now and easy victims who aren't on guard, that's a fact, you may not like it but that still doesn't change that fact.
    If there's anything sadder than white people stereotyping black people, it might be black people stereotyping black people.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post

If there's anything sadder than white people stereotyping black people, it might be black people stereotyping black people.
    What's even sadder are people who either have their heads in the sand or in the clouds and don't know whats going on around them because they don't want to know or they simply are unaware, I'm going to have put you in the latter category. I'm not going to tell you how I know but if you'd like, talk to the security folks out at Somerset or even the Troy Police.

What's even sadder are people who either have their heads in the sand or in the clouds and don't know whats going on around them because they don't want to know or they simply are unaware, I'm going to have put you in the latter category. I'm not going to tell you how I know but if you'd like, talk to the security folks out at Somerset or even the Troy Police.
    Very good Captain Obvious, where there is a mall the is crime! Tell us something we don't know.

Also, I'm black and live in the city of Detroit and I'm not some old timer with a grudge or twisted view of other blacks to where I feel the need to over-exaggerate whats going on with us, what I say is true, it's not my fault if you're naive.

Also, I'm black and live in the city of Detroit and I'm not some old timer with a grudge or twisted view of other blacks to where I feel the need to over-exaggerate whats going on with us, what I say is true, it's not my fault if you're naive.
    No you are clueless and she is right on the money!

Dude, I have lived in the city my entire life -- I am not naive to anything. Defend yourself all you want, it's still sad.

While you might [[emphasis on might) have actual statistics from your alleged connections at the Troy police department, the original poster in essence made the assertion that black shoppers = crime, when in actuality probably 99.9999% of the black shoppers are not stealing.

Now what you might be too young or naive to understand is that instead of making it clear that black does not equal criminal, you instead decided to jump on the bandwagon of the original poster's racial stereotyping. Nothing sadder than a black man helping to promote racial stereotyping.

Also, creditability is not a word.

Dude, I have lived in the city my entire life -- I am not naive to anything. Defend yourself all you want, it's still sad.

While you might [[emphasis on might) have actual statistics from your alleged connections at the Troy police department, the original poster in essence made the assertion that black shoppers = crime, when in actuality probably 99.9999% of the black shoppers are not stealing.

Now what you might be too young or naive to understand is that instead of making it clear that black does not equal criminal, you instead decided to jump on the bandwagon of the original poster's racial stereotyping. Nothing sadder than a black man helping to promote racial stereotyping.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't make it any less true. I didn't say anything about having any connections anywhere, all I said was ask Somerset security or the Troy Police, you're making a premature assumption and taking something I typed and ran with it. If you were to ask any law enforcement officer anywhere about what types of crimes are being committed and who they are catching they more than likely will share that information with you. Here are the facts in a nutshell, black people like stealing from Somerset and they go out there every day and do so because they feel they can get away with it plus they have very nice things there that you can't find at other malls. You're right, black doesn't equal criminal but that doesn't negate the fact that a majority of crime that is committed at Somerset comes from black people. And since we are going to be correcting one another, the term you're looking for is Ethic Stereotyping not Racial, since we are all of one race.
    Last edited by ccal; March-15-13 at 12:09 AM.

Threads like this are what makes internet discussion ABSOLUTELY irrelevant to all topics [[and I'm including "trending" on Twitter & other Social Media crap here too).

The moron who started this thread is OBVIOUSLY an idiot and trying to start a controversy due to some minor incident that happened to him/her at the mall, or trying to pursue some type of vendetta. Either way, stupid. This is not the forum to express some slight done to you at the mall. If you expect retribution, you would have gone to the mall authorities to address whatever the hell it is you have to complain about.

Somerset Mall is JUST FINE. Probably MORE FINE than any other mall in the Midwest. Anyone that tries to tell you otherwise has their head up their nether region.

6 pages [[& counting) of responses?? Really?? Come on people - stop giving this moron the time of day. More important, stop wasting your breath arguing the health of a mall that is 95% OR MORE OCCUPIED!!! There are WAY MORE IMPORTANT things to be discussing - do so intelligently.

I love being told what threads I should and should not reply to. Thanks Dad.

To me, this thread has less to do with Somerset and more to do with the broader topics of white flight and perception vs. reality of crime and race.

Replace "Somerset" with "Detroit" and you have the essense of white flight in a nutshell:

My parents and friends avoid [DETROIT]
    like the plague, citing the [PEOPLE WHO OWN HOMES THERE] has taken a drastic shift the past 5 or so years. Crime seems very high.

Also, although I may be wasting my breath, I refuse to let bigoted opinions go unchecked.

I love being told what threads I should and should not reply to. Thanks Dad.

To me, this thread has less to do with Somerset and more to do with the broader topics of white flight and perception vs. reality of crime and race.

Replace "Somerset" with "Detroit" and you have the essense of white flight in a nutshell:

My parents and friends avoid [DETROIT]
    like the plague, citing the [PEOPLE WHO OWN HOMES THERE] has taken a drastic shift the past 5 or so years. Crime seems very high.

Also, although I may be wasting my breath, I refuse to let bigoted opinions go unchecked.
    Or reality, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Tom T View Post
    Threads like this are what makes internet discussion ABSOLUTELY irrelevant to all topics [[and I'm including "trending" on Twitter & other Social Media crap here too).

The moron who started this thread is OBVIOUSLY an idiot and trying to start a controversy due to some minor incident that happened to him/her at the mall, or trying to pursue some type of vendetta. Either way, stupid. This is not the forum to express some slight done to you at the mall. If you expect retribution, you would have gone to the mall authorities to address whatever the hell it is you have to complain about.

Somerset Mall is JUST FINE. Probably MORE FINE than any other mall in the Midwest. Anyone that tries to tell you otherwise has their head up their nether region.

6 pages [[& counting) of responses?? Really?? Come on people - stop giving this moron the time of day. More important, stop wasting your breath arguing the health of a mall that is 95% OR MORE OCCUPIED!!! There are WAY MORE IMPORTANT things to be discussing - do so intelligently.
    This is a forum for all things Detroit and that does include Somerset. If you do not like the thread you do have the option of not paying attention to it!

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it any less true.
    The only truth I'm confident about is that we have two bigots ranting on about too many blacks shopping at Somerset [[and by too many blacks, we're talking anything more than 0), and offering no evidence for their wild assertions about these alleged blacks committing crimes.

"Here are the facts in a nutshell, black people like stealing from Somerset and they go out there every day and do so because they feel they can get away with it plus they have very nice things there that you can't find at other malls."

Awesome job generalizing and stereotyping. 12 Oaks must be a dump because it's not being looted every day by people from Detroit, Pontiac and Southfield, as you claimed.

are you insane? My boyfriend and I would fly into metro airport or drive from Columbus Ohio just to shop at Somerset. Just because there are finally going to be other options for shopping as far as for the "Locals", Somerset will always be a major regional magnet for those seeking a premium shopping experience. Somerset is full of shops and a pretty long list of those wanting to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by m b v View Post
    My parents and friends who still live in the B'ham area avoid it like the plague, citing the clientele has taken a drastic shift the past 5 or so years. Crime seems very high. Hyde Park in Birmingham is full, Capital Grille is not. Nordstrom expanded a few years ago into Novi, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Saks or Neiman move into Novi’s JC Penny, since JCP seems to be on the road to bankruptcy. You have Rochester area residents handling a lot of shopping at the Village, and Partridge Creek for Clinton Twp folks. Gilbert seems pretty fixated on a retail hub downtown Detroit. All shopping centers have a life cycle, and a demographic shift and options closer to home can certainly exacerbate that normal decline.

On the flip side, perhaps something can be done to reverse the decline?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Haha. This should be good.
    Glad you guys didn't let me down.

I blame the demise of Somerset on those pop-up stores they had in Detroit

The only store I have an occasion to go into at Somerset is the Apple store for some repair of older Macbook I have problems ongoing with my Iphone. I did like how quiet Sommerset is compared to others, during those visits. I've never ventured to the Nieman Marcus side of the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    The only store I have an occasion to go into at Somerset is the Apple store for some repair of older Macbook I have problems ongoing with my Iphone. I did like how quiet Sommerset is compared to others, during those visits. I've never ventured to the Nieman Marcus side of the mall.
    I thought Macbooks never broke?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The only truth I'm confident about is that we have two bigots ranting on about too many blacks shopping at Somerset [[and by too many blacks, we're talking anything more than 0), and offering no evidence for their wild assertions about these alleged blacks committing crimes.
    Im a bigot because I'm telling the truth about my own people? Wow.....you all really dont have a clue. Look, I get it, sometimes when faced with truth that totally goes against everything you believe, people tend to dismiss it and label it as other things because its simply unbelievable. Labeling me, calling me names, posting emotional responses doesn't change reality, my people , black people, people in my community of Detroit, go to Somerset every single day to steal. I don't like it and neither should any of you, you all may want to try and shout me down by trying to reframe what Im saying but you cant and I won't let you. Its the truth.

Im a bigot because I'm telling the truth about my own people? Wow.....you all really dont have a clue. Look, I get it, sometimes when faced with truth that totally goes against everything you believe, people tend to dismiss it and label it as other things because its simply unbelievable. Labeling me, calling me names, posting emotional responses doesn't change reality, my people , black people, people in my community of Detroit, go to Somerset every single day to steal. I don't like it and neither should any of you, you all may want to try and shout me down by trying to reframe what Im saying but you cant and I won't let you. Its the truth.
    Guess what people from my community and just about every area of the city do the exact same thing. "Your" people are not the only ones doing it so get over it!!

p69rrh51, I really don't know what your response is because all your post are on my ignore list.

p69rrh51, I really don't know what your response is because all your post are on my ignore list.
    Let me help you out. The response was:

Guess what people from my community and just about every area of the city do the exact same thing. "Your" people are not the only ones doing it so get over it!!

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast