Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I don't relate to Gucci and Louis Vuitton, what other kinds of stores do they have at Somerset or is that it?
    They have normal stores too. Not dollar stores, but more middle class stores, especially at Somerset North.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I don't relate to Gucci and Louis Vuitton, what other kinds of stores do they have at Somerset or is that it?
    When I was there, I texted my husband that it's every chain retail store I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Somerset? Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
    This made me laugh.

As mentioned, I think OP must be referring to the clientele and not the number of people or quality of stores. I do see more Asians and Middle Easterners than I remember from a decade ago. But I think that's more of a reflection of Troy [[and the area around) having a demographic change than the mall "going downhill." I actually think the mall is nicer than ever, and always full of shoppers. And *gasp* I haven't heard of a crime spike.

My sister works for Tory Burch in East Hampton, New York but spends time here in the winter due to the lack of business in the Hamptons during the winter. She was astonished at the volume of business when she was here last month. She was doing volume close to a summer month in NY in the middle of Feb. She did mention her clientele was quite diverse but did not mind the cash they were spending.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    In the real world, Somerset has never been stronger. There are barely any vacancies, and there's even a wait list for retailers to get in the mall.

Some of the newest stores at Somerset are Giorgio Armani [[the highest end Armani line), Emporio Armani, Hugo Boss, Herve Leger and Maxmara. Saks had a significant expansion [[added a floor) relatively recently.

Somerset has the best shopping between NYC and Chicago, and is the dominant retail center for hundreds of miles. It basically eviscerated downtown Birmingham retail, killed Oakland Mall, and stands untouched.
    actually, I know a bunch of people who come from Chicago to shop Somerset. I don't think it had much to do with the death of retail in B'ham, because I don't think retail in B'ham is dead. and the Oakland Mall seems to be doing Ok, and has a different clientele.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Somerset? Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
    Real funny Yogi!

Maple Road is the new 8 Mile Road.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    M V B - FYI, DOA = Dead On Arrival.

If you intend to be provocative it is best to learn what terms mean before you use them.

Aok?
    Must've heard ya, gnome-sie. Title of this thread got changed but quick.

Somerset is by far the best mall and I love it because it has my type of stores. From Saks for clothing to Williams Sonoma for kitchen stuff. They even opened a Tumi and Sur La Table last year. Whoever thinks that mall is dying is nuts. Its packed all the time.

Not understanding the problems some posters are having with the parking at Somerset. Every time I've been there, including Christmas season when it's jammed parking has been no problem at all - you get in the structure, drive up to the second or 3rd level and pull into a spot. It's never takes 15 or 20 minutes, more like 3 or 4 minutes maybe less.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    actually, I know a bunch of peoplewho come from Chicago to shop Somerset. I don't think it had much to do withthe death of retail in B'ham, because I don't think retail in B'ham is dead.and the Oakland Mall seems to be doing Ok, and has a differentclientele.
    I also notice all the people from Chicago coming to Somerset to shop and dine in the region. I don't blame them at all. I was in downtown Chicago today. Michigan Ave was dead except for a few scared tourists. At Somerset you don't have to worry about being shot nor do you have to worry about flash mobs unlike downtown Chicago.

The shopping I saw today along Michigan Ave and around downtown is nothing special. Any old mall in any city offers the same thing. Chicago was empty, dirty, rundown and boring.

Detroit compared to Chicago offers much better architecture and walking and more unique shopping and dining. For the high end dining Birmingham offers much more and better and for high end shopping Somerset is leagues ahead of Chicago.

I'm glad I don't live in Chicago. Detroit blows Chicago out of the water. Be glad Detroit has not sunk to Chicago's level. No wonder everyone sees so many Chicagoans here.

1.4 million square feet, and it's at 98% occupancy. Yeah, it's really hurting.

You can get shirts and suits made in the US at Brooks Brothers, jeans made in the US at Saks, and shoes made in the US at Allen Edmonds.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I'm sure Toronto begs to differ.

Come on, stop trying to make Somerset sound like more than what it is. It's the largest concentration of upscale shopping in Metro Detroit and that's about it. There is nothing extraordinary about Somerset when you compare it to the type of shopping centers you can find in regions of comparable size to Detroit. If anything, Metro Detroit is quite lacking for shopping by that measure.
    I'm not so certain this is accurate.

I know that Microsoft is opening a corporate store at Somerset sometime this summer. For retailers Somerset offers a very high income demographic.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    1.4 million square feet, and it's at 98% occupancy. Yeah, it's really hurting.

You can get shirts and suits made in the US at Brooks Brothers, jeans made in the US at Saks, and shoes made in the US at Allen Edmonds.
    Really? when I worked at BB, many years ago, everything was made in Mexico or Indonesia

Quote Originally Posted by runnerXT View Post

I also notice all the people from Chicago coming to Somerset to shop and dine in the region. I don't blame them at all. I was in downtown Chicago today. Michigan Ave was dead except for a few scared tourists. At Somerset you don't have to worry about being shot nor do you have to worry about flash mobs unlike downtown Chicago.

The shopping I saw today along Michigan Ave and around downtown is nothing special. Any old mall in any city offers the same thing. Chicago was empty, dirty, rundown and boring.

Detroit compared to Chicago offers much better architecture and walking and more unique shopping and dining. For the high end dining Birmingham offers much more and better and for high end shopping Somerset is leagues ahead of Chicago.

I'm glad I don't live in Chicago. Detroit blows Chicago out of the water. Be glad Detroit has not sunk to Chicago's level. No wonder everyone sees so many Chicagoans here.

401don's Yogi quote was very funny, and you hit a final home run.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    I also dont think real life shopping is going anywhere. People still want to try on cloths and see them up close. I browse for cloths online before I shop but do the buying in real stores. It saves time and eliminates wasted trips.
    Whether this is true depends upon what you mean. If you mean that there will always be some "real life shopping", then you are certainly right. But lots of physical shopping is already gone. Certainly a lot of missing bookstores and record stores. A lot of missing electronics stores. A lot of video stores that aren't there anymore. Those have all gone away because of on-line competition, and that is certainly going to continue.

I agree that in-person clothes shopping has some significant benefits, but while we may not be representative, my family certainly does a big percentage of our clothes shopping online--they don't even sell most of the things we buy in stores; we are somewhat unusual sizes and have somewhat unusual tastes, and the internet simply does a lot better job making those kinds of things than physical stores do.

Somerset is a bit different. It doesn't just represent shopping, but a kind of entertainment. It isn't my kind of entertainment, but there are clearly a lot of people who find it compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Really? when I worked at BB, many years ago, everything was made in Mexico or Indonesia
    The original oxford cloth polos are still made in the US, along with a few random other shirts. Best shirts you can buy for the money - they last forever. The majority is made in China or Indonesia, and that stuff is junk. Their regular suits have always been made in the US - their cheap lines in Hong Kong or China.
    Last edited by JBMcB; March-13-13 at 09:28 PM.

...cool story bro...

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Whether this is true depends upon what you mean. If you mean that there will always be some "real life shopping", then you are certainly right. But lots of physical shopping is already gone. Certainly a lot of missing bookstores and record stores. A lot of missing electronics stores. A lot of video stores that aren't there anymore. Those have all gone away because of on-line competition, and that is certainly going to continue.

I agree that in-person clothes shopping has some significant benefits, but while we may not be representative, my family certainly does a big percentage of our clothes shopping online--they don't even sell most of the things we buy in stores; we are somewhat unusual sizes and have somewhat unusual tastes, and the internet simply does a lot better job making those kinds of things than physical stores do.

Somerset is a bit different. It doesn't just represent shopping, but a kind of entertainment. It isn't my kind of entertainment, but there are clearly a lot of people who find it compelling.
    I don't want to go off-topic too much. But for me, the two main reasons I shop online is when there's better online selection or when it costs much less. When a blu ray costs $20 on amazon but $30 at FYE at a mall, the choice is obvious. You could pay for next day delivery and it still costs less online sometimes. And half the time, the stuff at malls look picked over and almost used, lol. Especially in book stores and clothing stores. It feels nice to get a pair of pants online and they're sealed in factory plastic...and not have to worry that some dude with crabs that goes commando tried on pants before I did [[I know, I know...I'm being dramatic). Anyway...I would love to buy everything in physical stores if they cost less. I think that's why Apple stores are so popular...you get the same products at the same price as you can get them online [[and you get your products right away).

To get back on topic...Somerset definitely caters to people that want to be seen in certain stores and carrying bags. It's more about being seen there than going home with a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    Maple Road is the new 8 Mile Road.
    Maybe back in 2003.

Hall Road is the new 8 Mile Road these days.

I-69 is the new 8-mile...

It's March. It's cold, wet, and grey. Go to downtown Chicago on any given weekend or weekday from April thru August and Michigan Ave. and State St. are filled to the brim with tourists and suburbanites getting their urban fix. We see alot of Illinois people because of all the Michiganders, like my sister, who live in the Chicago area now come back to visit. Chicago has plenty of more stores that we don't have, like Zara, Topshop Topman, and AllSaints. Smaller higher-end boutiques too. The near northwest side neighborhoods are also filled with independent and chain stores alike. Somerset and Birmingham are great, but let's not sugarcoat the fact that Detroit is not the Midwest mecca for shopping and fashion.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast