Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Detroit also has a "Michigan Avenue" that runs all the way to Downtown, so one COULD become easily confusioned. "D" Nile isn't only in Africa.
    Yes I realize that which is why I was wondering if he was confused with Detroit. Because you go down Michigan Avenue in Chicago vs. going down Michigan Avenue in Detroit it's a total different animal.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoforlife View Post
    Yes I realize that which is why I was wondering if he was confused with Detroit. Because you go down Michigan Avenue in Chicago vs. going down Michigan Avenue in Detroit it's a total different animal.
    You're preaching to the choir. Been there, seen it, no where near "dead".

LOL I wonder what that guys problem with Chicago really was. I just can't believe someone from a Detroit forum would be calling Chicago, empty, dirty, run down and boring. Oh well, it's not true anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoforlife View Post
    LOL I wonder what that guys problem with Chicago really was. I just can't believe someone from a Detroit forum would be calling Chicago, empty, dirty, run down and boring. Oh well, it's not true anyways.
    I think he was just baiting the Chicago booster to run in and tell us all how great Chicago really is...

Maybe it depends on one's perspective? I've heard this many times before from a Detroiter's perspective as well as people who go to Chicago looking for a party scene. I'm going to break this down in two parts. The simple fact is DOWNTOWN CHICAGO IS very vanilla and is primarily catered towards white families, tourist and business travelers. There really isn't much to do downtown Chicago other than eat, drink and shop. People watching isn't even that exciting because Downtown has been sterilized. They bring in the guys dressed in silver and the bucket boys and give cheesy American what they don't get in the burbs. I'll never understand that...And if you travel to Chicago by car, parking is straight criminal. There are very few Downtown businesses that reflect the "real & diverse" Chicago that still does exist all over the city. Where are the affordable shopping districts Downtown, the affordable ethnic restaurants etc. Hell...where are the ethnic people in Downtown Chicago?

Getting to my second part, Chicago is a HUGE city and if you don't know where to go, you'll likely waste all your money on over priced food, taxi's, parking, cocktails and you'll be surrounded around a bunch of uptight Loop residents, lost tourist such as yourself and this can turn into a very boring weekend. And once again, it's not even worth people watching. So I clearly understand this individuals perspective. But Chicago is anything but dead. Complete opposite from Detroit, the best action is in all of Chicago's outer-lying neighborhoods. If you want to play it safe, of course you can go to Lincoln Park but that's still extremely vanilla compared to other areas. If you're looking for the Chicago that is vibrant, creative, bustling and non-pretentious you're going to have to get far away from the Loop. A few fun and corky neighborhoods where you'll actually see minority people, ethnic restaurants by the thousands and cheap shopping are Uptown [[little Saigon), Rogers Park [[home of Loyola), West Rogers Park [[Devon St./East Indian/Middle East), China Town, Korean Town, Old Town, East Lake view [[make sure it's EAST Lakeview & not West) Ukrainian Village, West Town, Logan Square, Humboldt Park, Bucktown, Wicker Park, East Village, Pilsen, Andersonville, Edgewater, Mayfair, West Loop, Fulton Market District, Bronzeville, Chatham, Pullman District, Garfield Park [[Madison/Pulaski for hip-hop shopping), Little Italy, Greektown, Pill Hill, the very south side of the city boardering Gary,IN., Bridgeport, Brighton Park, McKinley Park, Albany Park, Avondale and Little Village just to name a few. Also keep in mind, the Lake front beaches and Boulevard Parks are cool if you live in an apartment without yard space.

Now keep in mind, many of these are old traditional neighborhoods that haven't seen change since the beginning of time but they're old school solid neighborhoods...If you're one who likes to see the REAL fabric of a city.

In addition to the timeless neighborhoods, you have the neighborhoods that have been invaded by the gentrified and these are some of the most interesting neighborhoods around. You'll witness thousands of street and store front businesses of ALL types that have been created by entrepreneurs young and old. Everything you can imagine. These are the places that you want to visit. But keep in mind, crime in Chicago is rampant and many of these neighborhoods are still very rough and dangerous. Shootings will happen in broad daylight so you need to be careful. But I can understand what the OP was saying about the Loop. It's a family tourist destination. The fun is away from Downtown and spread out everywhere. Much different than Detroit where the action is centrally located.
    Last edited by illwill; March-20-13 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I think he was just baiting the Chicago booster to run in and tell us all how great Chicago really is...
    LOL you didn't already know that?

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    Maybe it depends on one's perspective? I've heard this many times before from a Detroiter's perspective as well as people who go to Chicago looking for a party scene. I'm going to break this down in two parts. The simple fact is DOWNTOWN CHICAGO IS very vanilla and is primarily catered towards white families, tourist and business travelers. There really isn't much to do downtown Chicago other than eat, drink and shop. People watching isn't even that exciting because Downtown has been sterilized. They bring in the guys dressed in silver and the bucket boys and give cheesy American what they don't get in the burbs. I'll never understand that...And if you travel to Chicago by car, parking is straight criminal. There are very few Downtown businesses that reflect the "real & diverse" Chicago that still does exist all over the city. Where are the affordable shopping districts Downtown, the affordable ethnic restaurants etc. Hell...where are the ethnic people in Downtown Chicago?

Getting to my second part, Chicago is a HUGE city and if you don't know where to go, you'll likely waste all your money on over priced food, taxi's, parking, cocktails and you'll be surrounded around a bunch of uptight Loop residents, lost tourist such as yourself and this can turn into a very boring weekend. And once again, it's not even worth people watching. So I clearly understand this individuals perspective. But Chicago is anything but dead. Complete opposite from Detroit, the best action is in all of Chicago's outer-lying neighborhoods. If you want to play it safe, of course you can go to Lincoln Park but that's still extremely vanilla compared to other areas. If you're looking for the Chicago that is vibrant, creative, bustling and non-pretentious you're going to have to get far away from the Loop. A few fun and corky neighborhoods where you'll actually see minority people, ethnic restaurants by the thousands, cheap shopping are Uptown [[little Saigon), Rogers Park [[home of Loyola), West Rogers Park [[Devon St./East Asia), China Town, Korean Town, Old Town, East Lake view [[make sure it's EAST Lakeview & not West) Ukrainian Village, West Town, Logan Square, Humboldt Park, Bucktown, Wicker Park, East Village, Pilsen, Andersonville, Edgewater, Mayfair, West Loop, Fulton Market District, Bronzeville, Chatham, Pullman, Garfield Park [[Madison/Pulaski for hip-hop shopping), Little Italy, Greektown, Pill Hill, the very south side of the city boardering Gary,IN., Bridgeport, Brighton Park, McKinley Park, Albany Park, Avondale and Little Village just to name a few. Also keep in mind, the Lake front beaches and Boulevard Parks are cool if you live in an apartment without yard space.

Now keep in mind, many of these are old traditional neighborhoods that haven't seen change since the beginning of time but they're old school solid neighborhoods...If you're one who likes to see the REAL fabric of a city.

In addition to the timeless neighborhoods, you have the neighborhoods that have been invaded by the gentrified and these are some of the most interesting neighborhoods around. You'll witness thousands of street and store front businesses of ALL types that have been created by entrepreneurs young and old. Everything you can imagine. These are the places that you want to visit. But keep in mind, crime in Chicago is rampant and many of these neighborhoods are still very rough and dangerous. Shootings will happen in broad daylight so you need to be careful. But I can understand what the OP was saying about the Loop. It's a family tourist destination. The fun is away from Downtown and spread out everywhere. Much different than Detroit where the action is centrally located.
    Well said. I happen to live in the Bridgeport neighborhood and this neighborhood has gone through a huge overhaul. It's still got it's pockets of crime in the western part of the neighborhood but the area around where I live is nice, just west of Comiskey which people think is in a bad area but it's really not, just don't wonder too far south like into Fuller Park which is the ghetto.

I wouldn't hang out in the loop though, I have a few places that I go to in the loop and that's about it, like you said all the action in Chicago is in the outer lying neighborhoods away from downtown, you just have to be careful in some of the neighborhoods because of the crime. Some of the neighborhoods you mentioned have high crime problems like Rogers Park around Juneway Terrance and some of the areas along the red line north of the Sheridan stop are rough. But other than that you won't be bored in Chicago and if you are that's your own fault.

Although I'm personally not a fan of the word "ghetto" but I guess it's same as when I use the word "vanilla."

For each his/her own.

Who do you work for? This thread seems like propaganda.

There have been some muggings and purse snatching at red line stations on the northside. I know of one incident that happened at the Jarvis red line station which is in the Rogers Park neighborhood, a lady was waiting for the train and she got kidnapped and raped in a nearby alley. Then just a few weeks ago someone was attacked on the train getting on at the very same station and traveling south to the Jackson and State station where the attack took place. These happened very early in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by flairdetroit View Post
    Who do you work for? This thread seems like propaganda.
    Bingo!! We have a winner!! [[Welcome to the Forum by the way!)...

This silly thread was started by someone who went pretty much by what "their mom told them"... rather than based on real facts...

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    The simple fact is DOWNTOWN CHICAGO IS very vanilla and is primarily catered towards white families, tourist and business travelers. There really isn't much to do downtown Chicago other than eat, drink and shop. People watching isn't even that exciting because Downtown has been sterilized.
    Seriously? Hows about...

Navy Pier
    Lincoln Park
    Grant Park
    Harold Washington Library
    Chicago Art Museum
    Millenium Park
    Division at Rush
    Richard J. Daley Plaza.... home of the Big Picasso! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMagP52BWG8
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; April-08-13 at 08:11 PM.

48009 Guest

Ecorse man accused of stabbing at Somerset Collection

Mario Terrell Ridgeway, 28, was arraigned Wednesday at 52-4 District Court in Troy on a charge of assault with a dangerous weapon, authorities said. / Troy Police Department

A 28-year-old Ecorse man has been charged in a stabbing Monday evening at Somerset Collection.
    Mario Terrell Ridgeway was arraigned Wednesday at 52-4 District Court in Troy on a charge of assault with a dangerous weapon, authorities said. Bail was set at $50,000 cash or surety, and Ridgeway’s next court appearance is scheduled for July 15.
    Ridgeway stabbed a 33-year-old Ecorse man three times when the men were fighting about 8:45 p.m., police said. The victim was treated for injuries that are believed to have been minor.
    Those men, along with three other men from Detroit, Ecorse and River Rouge, met at the victim’s house and then drove to the upscale mall to purchase iPhones from the Apple Store, according to Troy Police.
    Initially it was reported that the stabbing happened inside a store, but police today said the stabbings began during an argument over money outside the mall doors on the north side of Somerset as the group was leaving.
    “They stated that they all had to take turns driving the car, as none of them had a valid driver’s license, and none of them wanted to get caught,” police said in a news release. “Their plan was for all of them to sign up for phone plans, and then be able to purchase the [[iPhones) for $199.00 to be re-sold later at a much higher price. Only one of the subjects qualified to buy a phone, so he bought four of them.”
    Ridgeway is accused of stabbing the victim in the back as he tried to run away and then chasing the victim back into the mall, where he was stabbed two more times, police said.
    The suspect fled, but he was picked up by Troy police while he was walking on the north side of Macy’s. A folding knife with blood on it was in his pants pocket, police said.
    The group’s car has been impounded while the investigation continues, according to Troy Police Capt. Robert Redmond.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Seriously? Hows about...

Navy Pier
    Lincoln Park
    Grant Park
    Harold Washington Library
    Chicago Art Museum
    Millenium Park
    Division at Rush
    Richard J. Daley Plaza.... home of the Big Picasso! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMagP52BWG8
    All of those just illustrate Illwill's [[whose name sounds like he lives in Joliet [[ILLinois WILL County) statement

The lust for Iphones and the resultant black market [[there was just a bust of some place in Dearborn Hghts. fencing those and other stolen smart phones) is most curious to me.

What a mess and what a poorly written article.

Quote Originally Posted by m b v View Post
    My parents and friends who still live in the B'ham area avoid it like the plague, citing the clientele has taken a drastic shift the past 5 or so years. Crime seems very high. Hyde Park in Birmingham is full, Capital Grille is not. Nordstrom expanded a few years ago into Novi, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Saks or Neiman move into Novi’s JC Penny, since JCP seems to be on the road to bankruptcy. You have Rochester area residents handling a lot of shopping at the Village, and Partridge Creek for Clinton Twp folks. Gilbert seems pretty fixated on a retail hub downtown Detroit. All shopping centers have a life cycle, and a demographic shift and options closer to home can certainly exacerbate that normal decline.

On the flip side, perhaps something can be done to reverse the decline?

Somerset is not dead! Property owners have a way to bring new exotic shops to their fancy mall. And crime a lesser there than any other malls in Metro-Detroit area.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12