Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

The City Council has become a laughing stock of the country. I have seen many national news organizations reporting on this council and the city's so called wheelers and dealers. It's time to change the way the council is elected. At large elections simply make them much less unaccountable for their actions. A district system would be much more effective and may mean less stupidity. It seems that all you need is name recognition to be elected, you don't have to be qualified or effective. After 54 years in Detroit, I left because of a system that is totally ineffective and simply put; a complete joke with no true leadership. I wanted to stay in Detroit but that was not to be. Until Detroit provides services that are necessary and vital for any city to thrive it's not going to change any time soon.

Detroit needs to provide an effective school system, transportation, sanitation and public safety to start. All these are in sad shape right now and going downhill quickly. The leadership in many city departments is deplorable and lacking. The city needs to start over with the basics and build from there with effective leadership and honesty. They also need to stop this us vs. them attitude that has become so glaring.

I hope to one day return to the city I love but until the city gets true leadership, I'll stay put for now.
    Last edited by thedawg; April-02-09 at 04:24 PM.