Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Hybrid View

Default Sixto Rodriguez for Mayor

WORD is that Rodriguez has put out a nomination petition to run for Mayor of Detroit. It sure does not seem his style but I couldnt imagine a more humble person for the job. If your into the idea stop by the Old Miami and make your mark, just ask the bartender on duty for the petition to sign. I love Rodriguez but the question is can he do the job. I think its a great idea to put someone who has so much respect right now up for the position if not just to shake things up and raise some questions about what Detroit needs by a true Detroit citizen.

SUGARMAN FOR MAYOR?

Why not? After all we had Martha Reeves on City Council!

lol, nice try...

I'll sign it, whether it's serious or not. Get his daughter Regan on the team, too. She's one smart lady.

Sixto seems like a gentle soul. The job of mayor requires a tough hide and the ability to cut people's throats while smiling and patting them on the back. I do not see Rodriguez as having the heartlessness required to get the job done.

there is a curious notion around these parts that one should like a politician in order to vote for them. The whole, 'Would I like to have a beer with _______ instead of _______?' I am not sure when this started, but it works against one's best interest in getting the the best person for a job.

For example, you don't want a Steven Hawking as your trashman. You don't hire MC Hammer to do your taxes. You don't want Stevie Wonder to drive a school bus. All those folks may very well be nice people, but they are poorly suited for the job at hand; in fact, it would be cruel to hire them for those jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Sixto seems like a gentle soul. The job of mayor requires a tough hide and the ability to cut people's throats while smiling and patting them on the back. I do not see Rodriguez as having the heartlessness required to get the job done.

there is a curious notion around these parts that one should like a politician in order to vote for them. The whole, 'Would I like to have a beer with _______ instead of _______?' I am not sure when this started, but it works against one's best interest in getting the the best person for a job.

For example, you don't want a Steven Hawking as your trashman. You don't hire MC Hammer to do your taxes. You don't want Stevie Wonder to drive a school bus. All those folks may very well be nice people, but they are poorly suited for the job at hand; in fact, it would be cruel to hire them for those jobs.
    I beg to differ. Steven Hawking would come up with an EFFECTIVE way to get the trash picked up, on time, and STILL save the department money. As far as Sixto Rodriguez, for Mayor, No he isn't a throat slicer, but the man has wisdom and fortitude. He might just find a way to get things done without a knife.

I love Rodriguez, but he definintely does not have the professional background, education, or personality to lead Detroit as mayor through the tough times ahead.

Shollin Guest

Dan Gilbert for mayor. Oh wait, you have to be a resident. Nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    I thought he called himself moving into one of those Condos in the Broderick Tower?

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    He can always buy a house in Palmer Woods because he loves the City.

As I remember he ran for city council at one point some years back. Can anyone confirm this? Ive already signed the petition but Im not saying Ill vote for him, I like the guy of course, who wouldnt but Gnome has the right idea.

. Having remained politically active and motivated to improve the lives of the city's working class inhabitants, Sixto registered and ran for city council in Detroit in 1989. However, the county misspelled his name on the ballot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixto_Rodriguez

He has teaching experience and graduated from Wayne State University [[Detroit) in 1981 with a BA in Philosophy. He has been a candidate for various city and state political offices: State Representative [[twice), City Council [[three times), Mayor [[twice) and one attempt for Senator.

http://sugarman.org/rodman.html

He continues: “Nothing beats reality, so I decided to go back to work, though I never really left music. I took a BA in Philosophy, I became a social worker, I worked on a building site and got into politics. I always saw politics as a mechanism from where you can affect change. It took me ten years to get my four-year degree, then I ran for office. I actually ran for Mayor, for City Council, for State Representative in Michigan and I also ran for my life! You know what I mean? I didn’t have the political pull of the big guys, so you just do what you can do.”

http://sawriter.wordpress.com/category/sixto-diaz-rodriguez/

Last edited by gazhekwe; March-10-13 at 05:00 PM.

This Sixto Rodriguez person will not come even close into the August Primaries. This person will absolutely LOSE!

Name recognition gets you far on the ballot. However, it doesn't mean you are competent. Martha Reeves is a classic example.
    Can't we get able minded people who could check their egos at the door?

^^Is there any real need to state that probibility Danny Downer?