Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More truth comes out in the lawsuit over the whole EM/bankruptcy process.

Interesting.

Both Snyder and Bing have it in their heads that they'll be falling up from all of this.

Also phrases like transparency, open meetings and good faith mean NOTHING to anyone in this state.

On the other hand, I'm excited to see some real bi-partisanship in Michigan.

In other news...... Virg Bernero finally came out in support of the bankruptcy filing.

kinda dumb to have him resign. we don't need another "year of three mayors"

Mr. Bing was Detroit's Jerry Ford to Kwame's Dick Nixon. Honest guy, likeable guy, not crooked like his predecessor, and not able to get a hell of a lot done. And came in to oversee an economic disaster. Wow, this is working better than I'd hoped.

Trying to figure out who plays the role of Kissinger in this scenario, but maybe that just means I'm taking it too far.

It must be lonely to be Dave Bing. I kinda feel sorry for the old guy. He came in looking like he was going to take care of business, and now he's totally irrelevant. Can you picture him out there, all lonely, walking along the riverfront in his baggy shorts, running that metal detector?

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    kinda dumb to have him resign. we don't need another "year of three mayors"
    "year of three pointless mayors" With the EM in town other authority little matters.

Resignation, at this point, would be pointless.

However he deserves hardy condemnation. President Ford didn't ask for the mess he inherited. Bing campaigned vigorously to obtain it, and then proceeded to make matters worse.

I also don't like this image of him as a kindly old man. HR disasters don't result from nowhere, and his came from both the company and the city he failed to run. His father didn't die to make him king. He asked for it.

The truly sad part is that hundreds of thousands of people have had their lives made worse because of his manifest incompetence. He had a duty to the public that he shirked.

I never voted for him. Always for the other guy. Still, no one was expecting miracles, but there could not have been a greater lack of leadership.

There is virtually no one I can say that I hate in this world, but I can say almost confidently that I hate Dave Bing for his abusive neglect of our city for the past several years. It has been truly difficult and painful to live through. I discovered through inside sources that so many of his promises were literally no more than PR stunts designed to last no longer than when the cameras shut off. He was no Kwame, but he created his own special layer of hell in his own right.

Dave Bing certainly has a high opinion of himself.

Go away old man.

Your neglect and incompetence is matched only by Kilpatrick's corruption.

A man couldn't have run this city any worse than you did if that was his sole goal in life.

Even though I don't like Duggan as a person... I do have some hope for him. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who's a pushover like Bing... and he's certainly not the kind of guy seeking to win a popularity contest. In his resume, both in public and private... he's never been one afraid to step on some toes... and I hope that he does do some tangible things as mayor. If Orr helps him clean house in city government, then I think this will be a plus.

I have a relative who was a midlevel manager at DMC... where Duggan was disliked by other midlevels... but he got things accomplished. A 29 minute waiting room period at DMC is a definite plus.

If he can work his magic on police response time, street lighting and affordable insurance programs... then it'll be a marked start of improvements for the city.

I don't know Duggan, so I can't comment on him as a person. He seems to be a person who knows how to get things done in both the private and public spheres

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I don't know Duggan, so I can't comment on him as a person. He seems to be a person who knows how to get things done in both the private and public spheres
    Hehehe... rb336... that's why mid level managers don't like him... he puts a fire under their ass to get things accomplised...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Hehehe... rb336... that's why mid level managers don't like him... he puts a fire under their ass to get things accomplised...
    And that's what has hamstrung Bing and every other Mayor before him. Without the power to eliminate wasteful and inefficient work rules, no real improvements could ever happen.

Just think, DPD spends $60+ per paycheck issued in administrative costs. That's almost 4 times the average in the private sector. Not sure if it's just DPD or the entire city.

Worst thing is that if that's how they're doing payroll, who KNOWS how much waste there is through the entire organization.

I think that Duggan will make the changes. But it's in no small part because he and Orr will have the ability to totally rewrite the rule book in changing "how things are done around here".

Are you still making excuses for Bing? He's been a terrible mayor with so many squandered opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I think that Duggan will make the changes. But it's in no small part because he and Orr will have the ability to totally rewrite the rule book in changing "how things are done around here".
    Bingo!! Yes I'm sure that having Orr around will not be a hindrance to Duggan... if anything Orr will have the power to implement things that Duggan alone would never have wielded.

I think that Duggan is pragmatic enough to understand this, and may use it to good advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Bingo!! Yes I'm sure that having Orr around will not be a hindrance to Duggan... if anything Orr will have the power to implement things that Duggan alone would never have wielded.

I think that Duggan is pragmatic enough to understand this, and may use it to good advantage.
    Orr will be gone fairly soon, and I think Duggan has a clear idea of what he wants to do. I don't think Bing had a clue when he ran

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2