Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    I think that airport is one of the biggest expenses the city has.
    I'd love to see your proof of this, as I find it hard to believe.

2. Default

Back when I worked in Air Cargo 5 or 6 years ago we regularly used Detroit City [[and more so Willow Run) for customs purposes. Any air cargo leaving the USA even coming to Windsor has to stop and clear "outbound US Customs" before bringing their cargo to Canada or any other foreign land.

If 150 towers can be closed temporarily you can assume some of these should already be closed while other closings present some degree of risk to public safety. This is a perfect example of how sequestration is a terrible way for gov't to operate rather than proper budgeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew in Windsor View Post
    Back when I worked in Air Cargo 5 or 6 years ago we regularly used Detroit City [[and more so Willow Run) for customs purposes. Any air cargo leaving the USA even coming to Windsor has to stop and clear "outbound US Customs" before bringing their cargo to Canada or any other foreign land.
    Out of curiosity, why not use Metro?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Out of curiosity, why not use Metro?
    Air cargo and executive jet services try to avoid the major commercial airports. As far as the airport is concerned, they add to the congestion of normal scheduled passenger ops and as far as the cargo and executive jets are concerned, they like the lower landing fees and less congestion of the alternative airports.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Air cargo and executive jet services try to avoid the major commercial airports. As far as the airport is concerned, they add to the congestion of normal scheduled passenger ops and as far as the cargo and executive jets are concerned, they like the lower landing fees and less congestion of the alternative airports.
    Thanx. In Cleveland, they put an aiport similar in size, right on the waterfront, [[Hart Plaza, like). Corporate jets were landing and taking off regularly. The airport seemed very useful to the business community. That was a few years back, so I'm not sure how it works in today's business climate. It seems to me City Airport could serve a useful purpose being so close to Downtown.

Shollin Guest

I'm not an aviation expert, but would city airport be close enough to downtown that it would limit the height of the buildings? It seems like downtown would be in the flight pattern. I guess since they built the RenCen it really didn't have an effect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2