Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the rock View Post
    If I were a 9 to 5 employee of CE with a 45 minute lunch break, I am not sure I would want to be housed in this new location. In addition to now paying a city income tax and perhaps having a more stressful commute to and from work, what is there to do at lunch hour? Campus Martius is a good hike as is a walk to RenCen. Take in a few minutes of a Tiger game on a rare afternoon when they are playing? I'd say this location is a tad removed from the action on or closer to Woodward. Certainly nothing happening North or East of their new digs. I know of a couple of Bodman employees who are quite disenchanted with this location. or has Bodman now left that area?
    Not discounting your observations re taxes and commuting, but what do they do now in the current location? IIRC there is an olive garden and a Coney in the adjoining parking lots...other than that, they're in their car on Van Dyke. Also, is it about what they're doing at lunch or is it about what they can do after work?

Quote Originally Posted by Huggybear View Post
    You give us Art Van [[a regional concern that is not buying what CE sells),
    You're right, Art Van uses Doner, located in Southfield.

Also, there's Mars, also in Southfield, Leo Burnett in Troy, BBDO in Bloomfield Hills, Ogilvy in Dearborn, etc...

I'm not saying it's a bad decision for CE to move to Detroit, but it doesn't seem like many other ad agencies think it's a good idea - yet.

Quote Originally Posted by the rock View Post
    If I were a 9 to 5 employee of CE with a 45 minute lunch break, I am not sure I would want to be housed in this new location. In addition to now paying a city income tax and perhaps having a more stressful commute to and from work, what is there to do at lunch hour? Campus Martius is a good hike as is a walk to RenCen. Take in a few minutes of a Tiger game on a rare afternoon when they are playing? I'd say this location is a tad removed from the action on or closer to Woodward. Certainly nothing happening North or East of their new digs. I know of a couple of Bodman employees who are quite disenchanted with this location. or has Bodman now left that area?
    The employees will be used to having little walkable for lunchtime. Just now cruising Van Dyke past their boring building via Google Street view, I can only see a bar and grill and a coney that is walkable. Downtown they are a five minute walk from many dining options on Broadway and in Greektown.

I think this is a very smart move by them. As a business dependent on creativity, the glamour and challenges of a rapidly reviving downtown has to offer far more inspiration than their current environment. They will have the excitement of Tiger game days and other downtown events to spice up their lives. They will be able to connect with the energy emanating from the numerous and growing cyber and IT companies with their youthful employees -- a wee bit more invigorating than watching cars move up and down Van Dyke. No wonder they lost the Chevy account.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    You're right, Art Van uses Doner, located in Southfield.

Also, there's Mars, also in Southfield, Leo Burnett in Troy, BBDO in Bloomfield Hills, Ogilvy in Dearborn, etc...

I'm not saying it's a bad decision for CE to move to Detroit, but it doesn't seem like many other ad agencies think it's a good idea - yet.
    Maybe some do...but they're hooked in 10 year leases or something and have to wait...

Mars owns their building at 10 and Tel...or at least they did.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The employees will be used to having little walkable for lunchtime. Just now cruising Van Dyke past their boring building via Google Street view, I can only see a bar and grill and a coney that is walkable. Downtown they are a five minute walk from many dining options on Broadway and in Greektown.

I think this is a very smart move by them. As a business dependent on creativity, the glamour and challenges of a rapidly reviving downtown has to offer far more inspiration than their current environment. They will have the excitement of Tiger game days and other downtown events to spice up their lives. They will be able to connect with the energy emanating from the numerous and growing cyber and IT companies with their youthful employees -- a wee bit more invigorating than watching cars move up and down Van Dyke. No wonder they lost the Chevy account.
    There's also an Olive Garden and Buddy's pizza within walking distance. I didn't think a football stadium was more exciting. Of all the places in Detroit I don't know why they selected Ford Field. What can they see outside the stadium besides an empty stadium and empty lots around said stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Of all the places in Detroit I don't know why they selected Ford Field.
    Read post #99. I'm sure there are other reasons as well, but I'd bet this had something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    I'm with you on that front, Rock. There is really nothing walkable except Elwood, right? Like I said, having more people there MIGHT entice some new businesses/restaurants to open. I don't know if maybe Slow's in Ford Field would open up during the week for employees. How much BBQ can you eat, though?
    Because of the close proximity of the courts, that is one of the more active areas of downtown. On game days, or theatre nights, even more so. I used to live two blocks from the Hudson's Warehouse [[prior to the CoPa) and never felt one-bit isolated from the rest of downtown. A couple of years ago, I did business at a site near Harmonie Park. There are few places downtown where there is so much varied activity on a regular basis.

Really? Nothing walkable?
    Gem Theatre, DAC - 1 block
    Music Hall, Grand Circus Park - 2 blocks
    Woodward, Broadway restaurants, Opera House, Broderick Tower, Harmonie Park - 3 blocks
    YMCA, bars on Park Avenue and Bucharest Grill - 4 blocks
    Greektown - 5 blocks
    Campus Martius - 7 blocks

Not to mention, they are only one block from Madison Avenue. And isn't that where every advertising firm belongs?

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Those renderings look friggin sweet!
    Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out a way to post individual photos from the slideshow. But I found a few images to be particularly interesting:

1) The network of pneumatic tubes coming together at the copier center [[images 15 & 16), and
    2) The balcony with a spectacular view of downtown office buildings [[image 22)

slideshow

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out a way to post individual photos from the slideshow. But I found a few images to be particularly interesting:

1) The network of pneumatic tubes coming together at the copier center [[images 15 & 16), and
    2) The balcony with a spectacular view of downtown office buildings [[image 22)

slideshow
    I don't think those are pneumatic tubes. I think that is electrical conduit. I worked in a warehouse turned office. We had similar looking stuff. No where else to put the wiring since we didn't have drop ceilings or raised floors.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Because of the close proximity of the courts, that is one of the more active areas of downtown. On game days, or theatre nights, even more so. I used to live two blocks from the Hudson's Warehouse [[prior to the CoPa) and never felt one-bit isolated from the rest of downtown. A couple of years ago, I did business at a site near Harmonie Park. There are few places downtown where there is so much varied activity on a regular basis.

Really? Nothing walkable?
    Gem Theatre, DAC - 1 block
    Music Hall, Grand Circus Park - 2 blocks
    Woodward, Broadway restaurants, Opera House, Broderick Tower, Harmonie Park - 3 blocks
    YMCA, bars on Park Avenue and Bucharest Grill - 4 blocks
    Greektown - 5 blocks
    Campus Martius - 7 blocks

Not to mention, they are only one block from Madison Avenue. And isn't that where every advertising firm belongs?
    A lot of Detroiters are still averse to walking even those short distances. We're changing, though.

thats good and all. Its too bad it wasn't an out of region business relocating in.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I don't think those are pneumatic tubes. I think that is electrical conduit. I worked in a warehouse turned office. We had similar looking stuff. No where else to put the wiring since we didn't have drop ceilings or raised floors.
    Oh. Oops! But's it's historic conduit, right? lol I still think it looks real cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    A lot of Detroiters are still averse to walking even those short distances. We're changing, though.
    What do you do when you go to the mall on a weekend and the parking lot is pretty full? Catch a cab to the front door? And inside the mall? Do you use the moving sidewalks?

We're not talking about walking around dark alleys after midnight. We're talking about going a few blocks on your lunch hour. I've lived downtown for over 30 years and never had a serious altercation when walking. Get over it! You're perpetuating the myth!!

Oh I agree, and I think it's one of the things that needs to change in the region. I'm a city-bird/walker who just came back from Chi/NY last year.

I'm speaking more broadly to Detroiters. My wife works in Comerica Tower and people actually drive like 3 blocks to the Book Cadillac for lunch. It'd be lulzy if it weren't so pathetic.

Shollin Guest

More insight to the real reason they moved

Most companies that move downtown receive incentives from the City of Detroit’s development agents, but Ludwig said there has been no agreement on that yet. He said talks with the city on concessions continue.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2013030...text|FRONTPAGE

Wrong yet again.

Don’t you think if the incentives were the “real reason” they moved they would have had them completely nailed down before they signed the lease? I'm sure incentives theoretically help...but since they signed the lease before even figuring out the incentives, it’s very clear the other business reasons both discussed in this thread and in linked articles are the main reason they are coming downtown. It appears they were coming downtown with or without incentives.

So we're like 3 days past them announcing that they are moving to Detroit and the newspapers are still talking about it. We're still talking about it. You're still mad about it. If they had decided to move to some nondescript office park in random suburb then it would've been an after-thought. I'm sure they are not hardly regretting the decision so far...

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Wrong yet again.

Don’t you think if the incentives were the “real reason” they moved they would have had them completely nailed down before they signed the lease? I'm sure incentives theoretically help...but since they signed the lease before even figuring out the incentives, it’s very clear the other business reasons both discussed in this thread and in linked articles are the main reason they are coming downtown. It appears they were coming downtown with or without incentives.
    He just cannot come to terms with THEY'RE MOVING BECAUSE THEY WANT TO!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    He just cannot come to terms with THEY'RE MOVING BECAUSE THEY WANT TO!
    The funniest part is that I saw Mayor Fouts interviewed today saying he offered CE an additional $3 million in tax incentives to stay in Warren...while we know that Detroit has not officially agreed to any tax incentives yet.

These two factoids somehow lead our resident Warren expert to say that tax incentives were the primary reason CE came downtown.
    The logic is…ummmm…illogical?

Lowell...if you read this...could you change the title of this thread to say "Campbell" instead of "Campwell"? I was distracted on the phone when I put this thread quickly together and somehow had a major brain fart.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    The funniest part is that I saw Mayor Fouts interviewed today saying he offered CE an additional $3 million in tax incentives to stay in Warren...while we know that Detroit has not officially agreed to any tax incentives yet.

These two factoids somehow lead our resident Warren expert to say that tax incentives were the primary reason CE came downtown.
    The logic is…ummmm…illogical?
    I actually mentioned this earlier in the thread about the tax reduction CE got from Warren. The difference is CE owns the building in Warren and is leasing in Detroit. Their lease is likely cheaper than the taxes they were paying on the building.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    So we're like 3 days past them announcing that they are moving to Detroit and the newspapers are still talking about it. We're still talking about it. You're still mad about it. If they had decided to move to some nondescript office park in random suburb then it would've been an after-thought. I'm sure they are not hardly regretting the decision so far...
    I'm not made. I just don't understand first the hypocrisy. If a company moves from Detroit to the suburbs people here would have a fit and cry poaching. Second, downtowns revival is being built on just shifting area jobs downtown from the suburbs and you'll give me some line of crap on how this will help Warren and the rest of the area.

Shollin, I don't know that I necessarily disagree with you, but ...

... I am kind of enjoying watching you totally lose your shit over this.

It's great when Detroit poaches jobs from the suburbs but not the other way around. Campbell Ewald had a big office in Warren. Is the space in Ford Field bigger? perhaps they're downsizing after losing the GM account?
    Frankly, when Warren tries to poach GM, and then gets bit** slapped like this? Yes it is great. Stay in your lane, Fouts.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast