Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    GOOD CALL! They're the ones constantly complaining about this and complaining about that. They don't like it, let them go somewhere else!
    They are the ones who voted in the mayor and council everyone here keeps complaining about.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Lets get rid of the citizens
    Isn't that what we've been doing?

the current city "leadership" will NEVER work together with the state they have already shown how they want to "work" with the state , they want everything their way. Just give us the money and let us KEEP doing what we have been doing for the last 50 years? are you nuts ?
    No one in their right mind would just GIVE the city council/mayor money and say "fix it" They've proven over the last 50 years they don't know how to fix it .
    How much longer is the state suppose to wait ? 50 more years ?
    Someone responsible needs to take charge .
    Are we really going to wait another 50 years for a livable city???
    The citizens of Detroit deserve better !
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    The city council has already shown that it's not fit to be part of calling the shots... The sooner they're out, the better

The cycle of bad management keep repeating because the cycle of bad managers keep repeating. The just shuffle around from position to position. Now another of the old crowd is running for Mayor.

In order to break the cycle, they need to start all over with fresh blood. No one who has ever held office in Detroit and no one who has ever held a Wayne County government post. No connection at all to the Kilpatricks or the McNamaras, even if just in passing.

I think people had hopes for Bing, but did he ever really have a chance considering he had to fight the Clowncil and inept or corrupt department heads every step of the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    This is truly the end of Black Detroit. As Rome falls, so will Detroit.
    Black Detroit is what caused this mess, Danny.
    There. I said it.

I know people will talk about voter rights and what not but its not working. The leadership of Detroit sucks. They don't even know how many workers are on the payroll. They have no clue on how many cops are patrolling. The city is getting worse and worse by the day. I'm not a fan of the nerd but we need to try something different. Detroit needs a dictator to clean up this mess. Too many people destroying this city and want to keep it status quo so they can continue to pillage it and use racism as an excuse.

On a more serious note: do you think Joann Watson will be named the EFM?

^^ Mitt's looking for work.

I'm still thinking Jack Martin will be the EM, granted I'm not sure he's much of a people person.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    I could not agree more with everything Snyder said. LET'S STOP FIGHTING. Stop with 'it's the white or black peoples' fault' or 'it's the rich or poor people's fault!' USELESS fingerpointing won't solve the problems. Stop bitching at eachother and work together. He is 100% correct. Let's get this going.

You're response is the correct one in theory. But we all know that is un-likely to happen. This is the most racially polarized city in the US, where blacks and whites refuse to set aside differences and work together. I'm thinking of moving from Michigan. It's ironic that Washington DC is having the same problem, but on a grander scale. Detroit just better hope bankruptcy isn't on the agenda, if that happens, it will be catastrophic here. The blame game is in full effect.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; March-01-13 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    There. I said it.
    With all due respect Ray, the problems started way before Detroit turned black. Detroit has been "kicking the can down the road" a long time. The decline started in the mid 60's and the riots expedited the process.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; March-01-13 at 08:20 PM.

There. I said it.

it's Bush's fault

there, I said it...........

[[seriously, it's funny listening to people on the radio trying to somehow blame this situation on republicans.....)

[[double seriously .... not that republicans are without fault, but obviously the Democrats aren't working out so well)

Quote Originally Posted by RapBrown View Post
    Snyders man will be governing people who have no right to vote. On top of that in not one city has a EFM worked. Now you have robbery and Jim Crow rolled into one, great idea when do we start?
    It worked in Hamtramck just fine. Hamtramck was mostly white at that time [[2000-2001) and the Hamtramck city council was upset and tried fighting it but no one ever mentioned Jim Crow or race. Maybe the hacks who've been running the city just are incompetent and the state needs to step in. Maybe playing the race card is a symptom of something much bigger and says a lot about not taking any responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybiz View Post
    It worked in Hamtramck just fine. Hamtramck was mostly white at that time [[2000-2001) and the Hamtramck city council was upset and tried fighting it but no one ever mentioned Jim Crow or race. Maybe the hacks who've been running the city just are incompetent and the state needs to step in. Maybe playing the race card is a symptom of something much bigger and says a lot about not taking any responsibility.
    1. Hamtramck is not Detroit.

2. You conveniently failed to mention that Hamtramck was begging the state to file for bankruptcy just a few months ago [[it slipped under the radar because of Detroit's financial crisis).

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    1. Hamtramck is not Detroit.

2. You conveniently failed to mention that Hamtramck was begging the state to file for bankruptcy just a few months ago [[it slipped under the radar because of Detroit's financial crisis).
    Hamtramck is far from perfect but if you believe that Detroit is not seriously damaged and the leadership is not horrific then you must be living on another planet. I live here and I'm not some ...... bag hipster I'm a guy who's held out for reasons that seem to escape me as I look around this dump. Detroit needs the state more then ever and that's a fact.

Hamtramck is far from perfect but if you believe that Detroit is not seriously damaged and the leadership is not horrific then you must be living on another planet. I live here and I'm not some ...... bag hipster I'm a guy who's held out for reasons that seem to escape me as I look around this dump. Detroit needs the state more then ever and that's a fact.
    I'm not downplaying Detroit's situation, but short of a bankruptcy Detroit's situation won't be resolved.

Even if teh EFM could theoretically fix Detroit, the endless litigation against their actions will test their patience.

and hamtown is facing ANOTHER round of EFM BS

There. I said it.
    I wonder, then Ray, why so many educated black people with money left Detroit as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    it's Bush's fault

there, I said it...........

[[seriously, it's funny listening to people on the radio trying to somehow blame this situation on republicans.....)

[[double seriously .... not that republicans are without fault, but obviously the Democrats aren't working out so well)
    Poor Republicans, I'm going to give the first one I see a big hug.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; March-01-13 at 10:18 PM.

I hate that Jt1's response [[originally post #56) earlier was deleted, it was very much the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    and hamtown is facing ANOTHER round of EFM BS
    Why do the same people continually keep going through rehab?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; March-02-13 at 12:34 AM.

Why do the same people continually keep gpoing through rehab?
    We have some structural problems in the way we do municipal government in this country.

During good times, we spend and borrow to fund everything wonderful. In hard times, the worst offenders get in the biggest trouble.

On this auspicious occasion, I'd like to suggest the coining of a new phrase:

"Maximilianism"

Definition: An individual with the best of intentions being inserted into an environment of power for which they have no mandate and are ill suited govern.

E
    xample: An unelected emergency manager selected by the State of Michigan to rule Detroit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximilian_I_of_Mexico

I wonder, then Ray, why so many educated black people with money left Detroit as well?
    They were the smart ones who didn't like the young punk black gangs as much as anyone. I'm not knocking black people. Just the young punkers who have taken over the city.

For what it's worth, I don't much like young white punkers, either.

Quote Originally Posted by RapBrown View Post
    Snyders man will be governing people who have no right to vote.
    Detroiters have not been voting for ages. I don't mean we don't show up and vote, but we have not had functioning self-government for some years now. So our voting has achieved assigning politicians titles and salaries, but no real running the business of the city. Hopefully, after the mess is cleaned up, we can try self-government again. But our voters have opted out in the past. I wish Douglas MacArthur were still around. He put Japan on a great footing in 6 years. Of course, Kwame and the Council do rival Fatman and Littleboy...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast