Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Hybrid View

Shollin Guest

So who is denying there is a financial issue in the city?

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    So who is denying there is a financial issue in the city?
    No one's arguing that, it's only important to make them bleed even though the process being used has never worked. It's also important that since the voters dismissed this method in Nov we now take away their voice and railroad our views through!

Shollin Guest

People have been blaming the mayor since Coleman Young. What can you do when the city is in poverty, half don't pay taxes, and the citizens rob and kill each other? What can a mayor do? Coleman Young wasn't able to change anything. Dennis Archer wasn't able to. Kwame wasn't able to. Bing isn't able to. Just bring in new faces and watch the cycle repeat.

Shollin has it right. if we simply repeat history over and over again and expect different results then how can we ever hope to expect real change?

How ironic is it that while Barack Obama was saying in his press conf.; "I'm not a dictator. I'm the president.", Rick Snyder was taking over a city?
    Last edited by RapBrown; March-01-13 at 12:32 PM.

This is truly the end of Black Detroit. As Rome falls, so will Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    and "Black Detroit" is doing so well presently?
    The pain is coming either way- the EFM is preferable to bankruptcy IMO

Double Trump card!

It wasn't an EM that caused the fall of Rome about 1500 years ago Danny. If you want to make a more analogous comparison to Rome it would be [[Nero - about 400 years earlier) that for many years Detroit's Councils have fiddled [[not on their violins) while the city sunk into financial ruin.

Black Detroit is what caused this mess, Danny.
    There. I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    There. I said it.
    With all due respect Ray, the problems started way before Detroit turned black. Detroit has been "kicking the can down the road" a long time. The decline started in the mid 60's and the riots expedited the process.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; March-01-13 at 08:20 PM.

There. I said it.

it's Bush's fault

there, I said it...........

[[seriously, it's funny listening to people on the radio trying to somehow blame this situation on republicans.....)

[[double seriously .... not that republicans are without fault, but obviously the Democrats aren't working out so well)

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    it's Bush's fault

there, I said it...........

[[seriously, it's funny listening to people on the radio trying to somehow blame this situation on republicans.....)

[[double seriously .... not that republicans are without fault, but obviously the Democrats aren't working out so well)
    Poor Republicans, I'm going to give the first one I see a big hug.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; March-01-13 at 10:18 PM.

There. I said it.
    I wonder, then Ray, why so many educated black people with money left Detroit as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I wonder, then Ray, why so many educated black people with money left Detroit as well?
    They were the smart ones who didn't like the young punk black gangs as much as anyone. I'm not knocking black people. Just the young punkers who have taken over the city.

For what it's worth, I don't much like young white punkers, either.

On this auspicious occasion, I'd like to suggest the coining of a new phrase:

"Maximilianism"

Definition: An individual with the best of intentions being inserted into an environment of power for which they have no mandate and are ill suited govern.

E
    xample: An unelected emergency manager selected by the State of Michigan to rule Detroit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximilian_I_of_Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by RapBrown View Post
    How ironic is it that while Barack Obama was saying in his press conf.; "I'm not a dictator. I'm the president.", Rick Snyder was taking over a city?
    Snyder can only 'take over' because the elected officials abdicated their responsibility to the voters.

As for me, I like takeovers. Say when you've been serious injured. The surgeon 'takes over' from the EMS driver.

I could not agree more with everything Snyder said. LET'S STOP FIGHTING. Stop with 'it's the white or black peoples' fault' or 'it's the rich or poor people's fault!' USELESS fingerpointing won't solve the problems. Stop bitching at eachother and work together. He is 100% correct. Let's get this going.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    I could not agree more with everything Snyder said. LET'S STOP FIGHTING. Stop with 'it's the white or black peoples' fault' or 'it's the rich or poor people's fault!' USELESS fingerpointing won't solve the problems. Stop bitching at eachother and work together. He is 100% correct. Let's get this going.
    Except people can't work together because the financial manager doesn't have to report to the city or the citizens. How is it working together when one person will be calling all the shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Except people can't work together because the financial manager doesn't have to report to the city or the citizens. How is it working together when one person will be calling all the shots?
    The city council has already shown that it's not fit to be part of calling the shots... The sooner they're out, the better

the current city "leadership" will NEVER work together with the state they have already shown how they want to "work" with the state , they want everything their way. Just give us the money and let us KEEP doing what we have been doing for the last 50 years? are you nuts ?
    No one in their right mind would just GIVE the city council/mayor money and say "fix it" They've proven over the last 50 years they don't know how to fix it .
    How much longer is the state suppose to wait ? 50 more years ?
    Someone responsible needs to take charge .
    Are we really going to wait another 50 years for a livable city???
    The citizens of Detroit deserve better !
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    The city council has already shown that it's not fit to be part of calling the shots... The sooner they're out, the better

The time for arguing is over. Detroit has a lot of work to do and we're going to need a lot of help. The Clowncil as far as I'm concerned, has to be cleaned out. Not one person needs to be re-elected. Although I'm a little doubtful about Mike Duggan, he will be one of my picks for Detroit's Mayor. He would probably be more cooperative in regionalizing some departments.

Anyone who isn't going to cooperate with the EFM, doesn't need to be at the city-council building, period.

You're response is the correct one in theory. But we all know that is un-likely to happen. This is the most racially polarized city in the US, where blacks and whites refuse to set aside differences and work together. I'm thinking of moving from Michigan. It's ironic that Washington DC is having the same problem, but on a grander scale. Detroit just better hope bankruptcy isn't on the agenda, if that happens, it will be catastrophic here. The blame game is in full effect.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; March-01-13 at 08:16 PM.

Bring on the EM. Anything is better than the clowncil. Anything. It can't get worse. Only if MonCon were back on it. Bing is a nice guy, but finishing last. I may not like Snyder, but I give him credit for having some balls. Hang on to your seat, hats, whatever you can hang on to. Going to be a bumpy ride.

City of Detroit is like a disfunctional family. Whenever they get together, they argue, fight and never seem to agree on anything. There have also been plenty of crooks with their hands in the cookie jar.
    Outside counselling is unfortunately needed. Let's hope lessons are learned.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast