Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrog View Post
    So that's a yes to the bullet proof glass question, then?
    Ive never seen one with bulletproof glass.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyarm View Post
    I say: stay away 7-Eleven! When you abandoned our city over the years, many small, independent, locally owned stores opened to fill the gap. They may not be as big or as diverse as 7-Eleven, but they are serving our city just fine. So now that Downtown and Midtown have revived with thousands of new and upscale residents, 7-Eleven wants to move back in. Again, I say: stay away!
    There used to be a 7-Eleven on the east side off of Whittier, I think it was the last one in the city. I think it closed in the mid-nineties [[not a 100% sure), but I know it closed down when the neighborhood went to shit. You can't blame 7-11 for bailing on the city just like everybody else did. What were they supposed to do, get robbed and have thugs sell drugs in front of the store? That's what was going on, if there was money to be made and assholes weren't ruining their business they would have never left. I'm happy 7-11 is back and I hope the city improves and I have no problem with gentrification as long as it removes the criminals I hate gentrification when it displaces solid neighborhoods full of decent people, but if you can some how bring back the original character of the city then I'm all for it, push out the bad bring in the good. For the record this is in no way racial by any means, Detroit is full of crime and criminals I don't care what color they are but by all means get them out of here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybiz View Post
    There used to be a 7-Eleven on the east side off of Whittier, I think it was the last one in the city. I think it closed in the mid-nineties [[not a 100% sure), but I know it closed down when the neighborhood went to shit. You can't blame 7-11 for bailing on the city just like everybody else did. What were they supposed to do, get robbed and have thugs sell drugs in front of the store? That's what was going on, if there was money to be made and assholes weren't ruining their business they would have never left. I'm happy 7-11 is back and I hope the city improves and I have no problem with gentrification as long as it removes the criminals I hate gentrification when it displaces solid neighborhoods full of decent people, but if you can some how bring back the original character of the city then I'm all for it, push out the bad bring in the good. For the record this is in no way racial by any means, Detroit is full of crime and criminals I don't care what color they are but by all means get them out of here.
    Good post. Screw that "abandonment" crap. People leave for a reason. Sometimes it's to save themselves.

In any other major city three 7-11's opening wouldn't be any kind of big deal. In Detroit it's earth shattering news.

GUSHI Guest

O wow another liquor store, in Detroit , yeaaaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    In any other major city three 7-11's opening wouldn't be any kind of big deal. In Detroit it's earth shattering news.
    I'd be more exited for a Kwik-E-Mart, I LOVE their squishees......

A 7-11 is a franchised version of a party store. It's nice to see a major corporation putting their units in the city limits, but it will have the same economic impact as Zayed's W. McNichols Party Store & Pizza.

It's more of a psychological impact.

Now Detroiters can proudly say that they have a 7-Eleven within their borders, thus the city isn't THAT bad or devoid of national chains.
    Last edited by 313WX; March-03-13 at 02:25 AM.

But they will have coffee! The really horrid gas station and no liquor stores have hot coffee. Very few have the frosty things [[not that I drink those). The really bad stations have long dispensed with anything requiring them to come out from behind the bullet proof to change or freshen such as coffee! If you want coffee with your gas ala a Speedway you know you have to be in the suburbs for the most part except for that Speedway down by Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    A 7-11 is a franchised version of a party store. It's nice to see a major corporation putting their units in the city limits, but it will have the same economic impact as Zayed's W. McNichols Party Store & Pizza.

7-11's don't typically have liquor. Beer yes, but I do not believe I have ever seen liquor in one.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    O wow another liquor store, in Detroit , yeaaaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    7-11's don't typically have liquor. Beer yes, but I do not believe I have ever seen liquor in one.
    In Michigan, they do [[because Michigan has the loosest liquor sale laws in the country).

That's also exactly why Detroit's a city known for having a liquor store on practically every corner.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    In Michigan, they do [[because Michigan has the loosest liquor sale laws in the country).

That's also exactly why Detroit's a city known for having a liquor store on practically every corner.
    Maybe they should do like Virginia where sale of hard liquor is a state monopoly and it is only sold in state-run ABC stores. They fixed them up and they are more inviting now and you can browse. Back in the 50s, they were pretty austere. You told the guy at the counter what you wanted and he went back and got it off of green metal shelves [[like an auto parts store) and brown-bagged it for you. The stores kept hours like any other gummint agency. They provide a nice profit to the state.

I live in Michigan and none of the 7-11's I have ever been to have liquor, at least not in the Flint area.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Maybe they should do like Virginia where sale of hard liquor is a state monopoly and it is only sold in state-run ABC stores.
    In the Commonwealth of Virginia???

I'm shocked the way they do things!!!

The million dollar question is will thse locations be open 24 hours?

Downtown's dead after the 9-5 worKday [[not to say that it's a bustling metropolis in the day time).
    All of the ones I have seen have been open 24 hours ,I think they try for the consistency aspect where everything is the same.I know a few franchise owners and they say that it is not cost effective to be open because of the lack of business but rules are rules,if you work say second shift you know you can find an open 7-11.

Not sure about Detroit but on the robbery aspect alot of cities mandate that after a certain time the open convenience stores must have the minimum of 2 employees in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    There is one on Ford Rd out in Dearborn Heights or Garden City that does. I have also seen it at one in West Branch that is also a gas station!

Detroit used to have several 7-Eleven locations back ni the 1970s. By the 1980s they were all gone. Bringing 7 Eleven back to Downtown Detroit will some folks to the Slurpie machines.

The Greenfield/Rotunda 7-11 in Dearborn sells beer, wine, and limited booze...just popular stuff, not a complete line.

If the Detroit ones are smart they will not sell liquor of any form some may argue.

The 7-11 that was on East Warren was still open in the early 2000's

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    This is good. I will be jumping for joy when I hear that more retail such as clothing stores will open downtown. RenCen need to get more retail stores so it could be a destinatination and a more lively tourist attraction. I hope that the Emergency Manager or the next mayor would provide more police protection downtown and remove the bus stops from Merchant's Row and place them on other streets in the area. Dave Bing had done a lousy job in providing protection to the downtown area making downtown a retail desert with the exception of a few trendy stores
    SO you want to remove the bus stops from near merchants row is, so when/if we do get clothing retail there the people who will be working there and likely coming in from the outlying nabes and inner ring suburbs cant get to work.

Im pretty sure you can catch a bus on Mich in Chicago

Not only is Deadline Detroit reporting that there is a 7-11 food truck passing out free Slurpees across from the Compuware building today, but Curbed says that 7-11 will be opening one of the three stores at 139 Cadillac Square [[corner of Randolph and Cadillac Square).

Free Slurpees - http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...are_storefront
    New Store - http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...lac-square.php
    Last edited by subsidized; April-16-13 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    Curbed is reporting not only that there is a 7-11 food truck passing out free Slurpees across from the Compuware building today, but that 7-11 will be opening one of the three stores at 139 Cadillac Square [[corner of Randolph and Cadillac Square).

I got my free Slurpee!

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    Not only is Deadline Detroit reporting that there is a 7-11 food truck passing out free Slurpees across from the Compuware building today, but Curbed says that 7-11 will be opening one of the three stores at 139 Cadillac Square [[corner of Randolph and Cadillac Square).

I can confirm the location mentioned [[reference: guy at the free truck today).

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Maybe they should do like Virginia where sale of hard liquor is a state monopoly and it is only sold in state-run ABC stores. They fixed them up and they are more inviting now and you can browse. Back in the 50s, they were pretty austere. You told the guy at the counter what you wanted and he went back and got it off of green metal shelves [[like an auto parts store) and brown-bagged it for you. The stores kept hours like any other gummint agency. They provide a nice profit to the state.
    Michigan is a liquor monopoly the state just doesn't operate it's own stores.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast