Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Seems like an odd location. Close to Millender Center which has a similar store. Wayne County Building is empty. Very little foot traffic. Other than the Cadillac Sq. Apts., who will it serve?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Seems like an odd location. Close to Millender Center which has a similar store. Wayne County Building is empty. Very little foot traffic. Other than the Cadillac Sq. Apts., who will it serve?
    It will create its own foot traffic, thats a good location. Connecting Greektown to Campus Martius to the riverfront.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    It will create its own foot traffic, thats a good location. Connecting Greektown to Campus Martius to the riverfront.
    I see. "It's a beautiful day. Where should we go? Greektown, The Riverfront? How about 7-11!"

Sweet, that is in the Lawyer's Building right? It will be great to see something in that building finally.

With Millender and Cadillac Sq Apartments, they have a decent living population, plus Compuware/Quicken folks and Greektown should give them pretty solid day business. Hopefully they put another somewhere near Grand Circus Park. Not sure where the third should go though. That would serve the local resident community better [[Fyfe, Kales, Broderick, DCA, Whitney soon, etc).

I see. "It's a beautiful day. Where should we go? Greektown, The Riverfront? How about 7-11!"
    Well, we did often go to 7-Eleven as a kid just to get a Slurpee and hang out. But we also grew up in the 'Burbs and there wasn't much else to do in a mile radius. Plus there aren't a ton of middle and high school kids living in downtown Detroit...

Hmmmm, I wonder what kind of lease they signed, I inquired about some space there and they offered me the 3rd floor space [[2500sqf) @ $4500 per month for 5 years w/ my own build out.

Quote Originally Posted by ccal View Post
    Hmmmm, I wonder what kind of lease they signed, I inquired about some space there and they offered me the 3rd floor space [[2500sqf) @ $4500 per month for 5 years w/ my own build out.

It sounds like a nice way of saying "thanks, but no thanks". $22.50 a foot for a third class space in a hard to fill building. The owner hasn't a clue so you're better off.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; April-17-13 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Sweet, that is in the Lawyer's Building right? It will be great to see something in that building finally.
    That is a beautiful building that has been empty for too long. Hopefully, the landlord will use the rent money from 7-11 to get the rest of the building in shape for rentals. It would make for some incredible lofts.

While I was touring the place workers were already renovating some of the upper floors for office suites or so the owner was telling me.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    That is a beautiful building that has been empty for too long. Hopefully, the landlord will use the rent money from 7-11 to get the rest of the building in shape for rentals. It would make for some incredible lofts.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It's more of a psychological impact.

Now Detroiters can proudly say that they have a 7-Eleven within their borders, thus the city isn't THAT bad or devoid of national chains.
    I dunno, we've had a K-Mart and Home Depot for years, along with countless CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aids, Aldis, Family Dollars, Starbucks, etc., and that hasn't stopped anyone from saying we don't have any national chains.

Having some corporate standards would be nice. I'm sick to hell of watching liquor store owners dispense loosies from behind ghetto glass and ignore the drug boys out in front of their stores.

Looks like another 7-Eleven location has been revealed

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...f-downtown.php

It's 7/11 so it got me thinking about this. Has anyone heard anything more recent? The location on Cadillac Square they said was supposed to come late summer appears to have absolutely no progress [[it actually looks like there's something else in there still).

Free Slurpees given away today at 7/11 convenience stores nationwide.
    They do this every July 11 to honor the Slurpee's birthday.
    Last edited by Brich; July-11-13 at 11:56 AM.

Fun fact from 7-Eleven History:
    The company's early convenience outlets were known as Tote'm stores because customers "toted" away their purchases, and many stores even sported genuine Alaskan totem poles in front.

In 1946, the Tote'm name changed to 7-Eleven to reflect the stores' new, extended hours - 7 a.m. until 11 p.m., seven days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Brich View Post
    When I peered in the windows off of Randolph a few months back it looked like they were doing work. Blueprints with the 7/11 logo on it can be seen through the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Brich View Post
    They do, but I'm pretty sure it's just because of the name

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34 View Post
    When I peered in the windows off of Randolph a few months back it looked like they were doing work. Blueprints with the 7/11 logo on it can be seen through the window.
    You speak the truth!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The downtown Pittsburgh 7-11 is open 6 to 11 on weekdays, and a little later on weekends.

Detroit is notorious for making it difficult for small business to open in a timely fashion. That is because the incompetent Mayor had privatized the building and safety dept. Small businesses had or have to wait on permits, inspectors, etc which usually takes forever.. DEGC openly endorses these businesses but city government behind the scenes makes it difficult for small and midsize businesses to set up shop. Thanks again Dave Bing

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    They do, but I'm pretty sure it's just because of the name
    Didn't they get the name because they were open from 7am-11pm?

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Didn't they get the name because they were open from 7am-11pm?
    that is correct

No I'm pretty sure they'll use the same plastic cups as the suburbs.
    I was so drunk in 7-11 once that I fell off the seat trying to eat their hot food. The two guys behind the counter didn't raise an eyebrow. No bullet-proof glass either, just some wires to prevent anyone climbing over the counter.
    Last edited by night-timer; July-12-13 at 09:19 AM.

I agree. It would make more sense for a 7-11 to be located closer to Campus Martius Park. The last business in that location on Randolph was a cleaners. A reopened Wayne County Building or a new residential or office building on that large surface parking lot along Randolph and Fort could bring in the needed foot traffic to make a 7-11 in that location successful. I don't see it doing well as things stand today.

BTW, the news reports said that the name 7-11 comes from the first store opening on July 11th, not for its store hours.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast