Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I think Napolean will be the next mayor, probably in a landslide.

I don't think Duggan has a chance. I also agree that Bing will probably not run for reelection.
    That's a bold call Well, we'll revisit this November and see how it turned out....

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Much truth -- but also much excusing those who have failed too. Both sides need reform. Not just pointing at the other and deflecting blame.

I too was surprised to hear Duggan's stance on EFM. It probably is necessary to get elected, so after the election he'll likely act differently, as Obama has with drones and OBL. There are things you need to do that would never pass popular election.

Does he really believe it? I do wonder. More important -- will it work. If he can really get reform done through politics? I don't see a willingness in labor or administration to do things a new way. But if there's any chance for non-EFM, its Duggan.
    First of all, I don't give a rat's @ss about his skin color, and take offense to such posting for both black and white candidates. You're either competent, or your not. End of rant. I can feel caution flags going up when I read about Duggan and his background. He's promising a lot of stuff and it sounds "nice", but an EFM not being needed really raises my eyebrows. That's a tall tale. Still, I'm willing to hear him out, and see what his "plan" is to bring life and stability back to Detroit. If his plan sounds feasible, I'm willing to give him a vote. I've been through this before, the "knight on white horse" scenario, with past candidates. Whoever gets my vote has to have a realistic, working plan, and not just provide feel good lip service. So far, I'm not really impressed with any of them.

What "kingmakers on his side" would influence a Detroit election?

Detroit elections are won in the black churches. Duggan isn't a good speaker, isn't charismatic, is an outsider, and, yeah, he's white. He's basically a younger, smarter, white Bing, with a big dose of corrpution.
    Rev. Jim Holley of Historic Little Rock Baptist on Woodward gave the invocation at the Duggan's announcement and endorsed him for Mayor.

Malik Shabazz is a Duggan supporter, and attended the announcement.

Ike McKinnon and Warren Evans are supporters and spoke at the announcement.

And these are all people who were on board before he made his announcement. I think he has quite a few "kingmakers" behind him already.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    There would be concerns about the city council working with him. Has he addressed that? Have any of them voiced opinions on him as Mayor?

And of course the other issue is the EM appointment probably coming soon... does this mean whoever is Mayor doesnt really matter? Or would the EM do the dirty work in shorter than four years and then hand the Mayor a cleaner slate to work with?
    I'm not aware that any current council members have said anything about who they're supporting for Mayor.

But Duggan has addressed the issue of working with City Council. The story he tells is about how it took Council's approval to approve the sale of the DMC to Vanguard Health. He talks about spending a lot of time listening to council members, meeting with them, and winning their support. In the end, the sale passed council 8-1 [[guess who voted no). He even talks about going to Joann Watson and trying to get her to change her vote to yes, to make it unanimous, even though he didn't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    ...snip... but an EFM not being needed really raises my eyebrows. That's a tall tale. Still, I'm willing to hear him out, and see what his "plan" is to bring life and stability back to Detroit. If his plan sounds feasible, I'm willing to give him a vote. I've been through this before, the "knight on white horse" scenario, with past candidates. Whoever gets my vote has to have a realistic, working plan, and not just provide feel good lip service. So far, I'm not really impressed with any of them.
    Plan? Sure you need a plan. But its more important to have the ability [[or power) to implement the steps. I can write a plan that says there'll be a 10% improvement in productivity in some department. But can I make that happen? No.

An EFM, EM or bankruptcy judge is given powers to get things done. And without the usual consequences. That's the secret ingredient. Plan? Who cares. Ability to shove things down people's throats -- priceless.

Or am I wrong? Maybe if Duggan develops a great plan, and shows the way out -- he'll get stubborn union management on-side and also get bondholders to believe that a haircut is the best they can hope for? Who knows.

I guess there's nothing left to loot with Wayne County government, so time to shakedown Detroit taxpayers.

And yet another carpetbagger claiming to "save" Detroit from the unwashed masses. Is there no city resident with the qualifications and cojones to implement austerity and right-sizing?
    I think if somebody wanted to live in a small town they would move to Montana , Mr Duggan and Mr Snyder are on the same page of bringing jobs and people back to the city, not shrinking it there would be to much potential and history lost.

Mr Duggan may have some past history but he is what the city needs which is a politician , one that knows the game and knows how to play dirty to get results if needed.

You are also changing the CC so new mayor new CC one watches the other and the checks and balances work,if they do not the FBI is firmly intrenched now so it would be hard to be to slick.

Clean slate and new beginnings , Mr Duggin mentioned a supporting police chief , sorry I do not remember his name , but it would give a good indicator as to the direction of where LEO would be going .

If somebody could provide some information or insite on his past it would help see a better picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I think if somebody wanted to live in a small town they would move to Montana
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Mr Duggan and Mr Snyder are on the same page of bringing jobs and people back to the city, not shrinking it there would be to much potential and history lost.
    Who told you that?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Plan? Sure you need a plan. But its more important to have the ability [[or power) to implement the steps. I can write a plan that says there'll be a 10% improvement in productivity in some department. But can I make that happen? No.

An EFM, EM or bankruptcy judge is given powers to get things done. And without the usual consequences. That's the secret ingredient. Plan? Who cares. Ability to shove things down people's throats -- priceless.

Or am I wrong? Maybe if Duggan develops a great plan, and shows the way out -- he'll get stubborn union management on-side and also get bondholders to believe that a haircut is the best they can hope for? Who knows.
    I agree about the "ability" part. My objection is these "feel good" speeches about solving all the issues AND having a cup of coffee ready for me every morning when I wake up. What if his "plan" is to jack-up taxes for those already paying into the system, because he needs more revenue? How do you like him now? No, I need to hear how you're "planning" to accomplish these pie-in-the-sky promises you're making @ election time. My other issue with him is his "ties" to former regimes. His campaign manager is a staunch Kilpatrick supporter. He has others from that camp too. This concerns me. The story is in Deadline Detroit. I tried to post the link but their site is currently down.

Default Duggan Campaign Run By King Kwame' Secret Donor

Detroit — A state probe of Kwame Kilpatrick's finances uncovered more hidden cash and triggered pleas from the former Detroit mayor to fly home and see his family.

Kilpatrick identified more secret donors who gave him $6,700 in cash gifts, money that was hidden from parole officials and not applied toward the $854,000 in restitution owed to Detroit.

The payments and donors were revealed in emails between Kilpatrick and his parole agent obtained by The Detroit News.

Former Michigan Supreme Court Chief Justice Conrad Mallett Jr. gave $1,000 and Kilpatrick's mother, ex-U.S. Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, gave $5,000.

The emails were released as the jury in the City Hall corruption case spent an eighth day deliberating the fates of Kilpatrick; his father, Bernard; and contractor Bobby Ferguson.

Deliberations will resume at 9 a.m. today in federal court.

Mallett, a longtime Kilpatrick friend and administration official, is running Mike Duggan's Detroit mayoral campaign. Kilpatrick told Mallett he needed the money to support his family and asked him to send it via Western Union.

"No, man, I don't regret it," Mallett said. "Those kids, man, are really great kids and [[Kilpatrick's wife) Carlita is obviously a strong and wonderful person, man."
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...372/1409/rss36

They just keep proving that Detroit politics is a cesspool of rotten scum.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

$1,000 qualifies you for being a "secret donor"?? $1,000 is what many call "Go away money."

An organization I head ran a campaign to raise between $1-$1.25MM last year. One of our donors, one whose net worth is well over $20,000,000, wrote us a $1,000 check because he felt pressured by his friends within the organization.

I'll let you come to your own conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

Not that I disagree with the sentiment but there is nothing illegal or shady to give kwame some money. The illegal part is Kwame not reporting it.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Not that I disagree with the sentiment but there is nothing illegal or shady to give kwame some money. The illegal part is Kwame not reporting it.
    That part's true. This part bothers me.

"Mallett, a longtime Kilpatrick friend and administration official, is running Mike Duggan's Detroit mayoral campaign."

We just don't have any good options, yet again.

Conrad Mallet is also on the State Financial Review team. Should I then assume that Andy Dillon and Rick Snyder are corrupt because Mallet gave money to Kwame? Or is just Duggan corrupt because your opinion of him is already formed?

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    We just don't have any good options, yet again.
    I totally agree. It's going to be the old coin flip, or lesser of the two evils again.

Quote Originally Posted by webband1 View Post
    Conrad Mallet is also on the State Financial Review team. Should I then assume that Andy Dillon and Rick Snyder are corrupt because Mallet gave money to Kwame? Or is just Duggan corrupt because your opinion of him is already formed?
    Something to ponder about for sure. Are Dillon & Snyder from the old McNamara regime too? Are they being supported by ex-Kilpatrick players?

I agree about the "ability" part. My objection is these "feel good" speeches about solving all the issues AND having a cup of coffee ready for me every morning when I wake up. What if his "plan" is to jack-up taxes for those already paying into the system, because he needs more revenue? How do you like him now? No, I need to hear how you're "planning" to accomplish these pie-in-the-sky promises you're making @ election time. My other issue with him is his "ties" to former regimes. His campaign manager is a staunch Kilpatrick supporter. He has others from that camp too. This concerns me. The story is in Deadline Detroit. I tried to post the link but their site is currently down.
    So because Conrad Mallett gave $1,000 in charity money to Kwame, he's a "staunch" supporter? Did I miss where Mallett was screaming that Kwame was innocent? Regardless, Mallett is not Duggan's campaign manager. Mallett is still employed by the DMC. Duggan's campaign manager is Bryan Barnhill, formerly Charles Pugh's chief of staff, is his campaign manager.

In the bigger picture, I think we need to recognize that because Detroit isn't really that big a town, that all the politicos tend to be connected in one way or another. Benny Napoleon will no doubt have former Kilpatrick backers supporting him. Others will have supporters who used to work for Ficano, McNamara, Young, etc. Does having a prominent supporter who used to be close with a disgraced official or allegedly corrupt official automatically ruin that candidate?

So because Conrad Mallett gave $1,000 in charity money to Kwame, he's a "staunch" supporter? Did I miss where Mallett was screaming that Kwame was innocent? Regardless, Mallett is not Duggan's campaign manager. Mallett is still employed by the DMC. Duggan's campaign manager is Bryan Barnhill, formerly Charles Pugh's chief of staff, is his campaign manager.

In the bigger picture, I think we need to recognize that because Detroit isn't really that big a town, that all the politicos tend to be connected in one way or another. Benny Napoleon will no doubt have former Kilpatrick backers supporting him. Others will have supporters who used to work for Ficano, McNamara, Young, etc. Does having a prominent supporter who used to be close with a disgraced official or allegedly corrupt official automatically ruin that candidate?
    It doesn't "ruin" the candidate, but as I posted, it does make me wonder. There is the quote from Detroit News "Mallett is a long-time Kilpatrick friend and former aide" that doesn't make me rest any easier. The News's words, not mine. I would prefer whoever came into office, was serious about the task @ hand, and had no former affiliations or alliances. This being Detroit, and not a big town, I'm probably living in a dream world. I find this years stock of candidates, again disappointing.

Bham1982, since you are so confident that Duggan won't win, I will bet you two coneys from either Lafayette Coney Island or American Coney Island that he will. Are you game?

It doesn't "ruin" the candidate, but as I posted, it does make me wonder. There is the quote from Detroit News "Mallett is a long-time Kilpatrick friend and former aide" that doesn't make me rest any easier. The News's words, not mine. I would prefer whoever came into office, was serious about the task @ hand, and had no former affiliations or alliances. This being Detroit, and not a big town, I'm probably living in a dream world. I find this years stock of candidates, again disappointing.
    The fact that all of the politicos are connected has nothing to do with Detroit/Michigan being relatively small. Detroit is still a top 20 city while Michigan is still a top 10 state, thus larger than 80% of the country's states and metros.

Chicago/Illinois is the same way in that all of the politicos are connected. The Daley machine is just as bad if not worse than the McNamara machine.

The difference is Detroit's politicos don't seem to understand that they must get the job done first before they can stick their hands in the cookie jar. Thus the problem isn't corruption or cronyism, but incompetence.

Now, maybe that has to do with the fact that Detroit's a blue collar town [[thus some of the governing styles are rather simplistic which more often than not are ineffective), rather than its actual size. Yet, at the same size, because of that blue collar mindset, all of the politicos are so full fo themselves and refuse to admit when they've failed.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The fact that all of the politicos are connected has nothing to do with Detroit/Michigan being relatively small. Detroit is still a top 20 city while Michigan is still a top 10 state, thus larger than 80% of the country's states and metros.

Chicago/Illinois is the same way in that all of the politicos are connected. The Daley machine is just as bad if not worse than the McNamara machine.

The difference is Detroit's politicos don't seem to understand that they must get the job done first before they can stick their hands in the cookie jar. Thus the problem isn't corruption or cronyism, but incompetence.

Now, maybe that has to do with the fact that Detroit's a blue collar town [[thus some of the governing styles are rather simplistic which more often than not are ineffective), rather than its actual size. Yet, at the same size, because of that blue collar mindset, all of the politicos are so full fo themselves and refuse to admit when they've failed.
    I don't think Detroit is exceptional here. I see corruption and stupidity every day in jurisdictions small and large.

Its why I'm in favor of keeping government small and targeted. Gives us more time to watch their hands.

The political dots are not difficult to connect......

There's always a lot of fitting the facts to a foregone conclusion around here. I'm sure I'm guilty of it sometimes too.

Y'all can play whatever word games you want, but the writing is on the walls. Duggan should be very publicly disavowing any and all association with anything even remotely associated with the two klans of corruption. That includes firing this guy and anyone else who has ever supported KK in any way.

If he doesn't and he gets elected, it shouldn't be any surprise to anyone to see the same faces recycled yet again. Maybe even KK himself getting some sort of appointment if he isn't in prison. If he is, maybe someone from his family will.

I think the difference now is that with the CC by districts there is going to be heavy influence from areas like Cork-town ,Midtown etc. so there will be a different mindset in place.

The mayor has thier place and is the face of the city but if you have a strong representative counsel in place the public keeps their voice,so no matter who the mayor is you need just as importantly to focus on the change at CC level.

I think that is what is different then in the past and why the city finally after all of these years has a solid chance at success,and again there is much more citizen awareness,involvement in the process and scrutiny in play that seemed not to be there before so much.Which in turn will make it hard to keep status qoe.

Mr Bing could have very well been a good mayor but you can see the status qoe he has been up against so no matter who is mayor they would need to figure out how to break that or use it to city's advantage until it gets changed.That is why I made the comment on dirty politics earlier because it is going to take that to break the past.
    Last edited by Richard; March-03-13 at 10:51 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2