Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Major music festival coming to...Belle Isle.

Did not see this posted here so figured I would see what people think.

So Metallica put on this big festival in New Jersey this year and have announced it will be coming here next year.

http://www.orionmusicandmore.com/

Turns out, when they say Detroit, they actually mean Detroit and not DTE. The last 2 pages of this show it being on Belle Isle. Not only that, but for the next 3 years.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Portals/0/d...2012-11-12.pdf

Has a music festival ever been on Belle Isle before? Any thoughts on this coming here or the logistics of it?

People still care about and listen to Metallica?

I still remember my freshmen year at college in the dorms with that T3 connection. Logging into Napster only to be given a message "banned by Metallica". [[It was SO difficult to change my IP and log right back in.) Ever since then that band has made me sick. I can't even listen to their old "good" music anymore.

But hey, at least they are actually going to use Belle Isle for something that will generate revenue for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    People still care about and listen to Metallica?

I still remember my freshmen year at college in the dorms with that T3 connection. Logging into Napster only to be given a message "banned by Metallica". [[It was SO difficult to change my IP and log right back in.) Ever since then that band has made me sick. I can't even listen to their old "good" music anymore.

But hey, at least they are actually going to use Belle Isle for something that will generate revenue for once.
    Don't forget about the Grand Prix, Bad Brains. Since we're stuck with that big ugly slab of concrete for the paddock, might as well use it for more than one weekend a year.

Quote Originally Posted by SetecX View Post
    Did not see this posted here so figured I would see what people think.

So Metallica put on this big festival in New Jersey this year and have announced it will be coming here next year.

http://www.orionmusicandmore.com/

Turns out, when they say Detroit, they actually mean Detroit and not DTE. The last 2 pages of this show it being on Belle Isle. Not only that, but for the next 3 years.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Portals/0/d...2012-11-12.pdf

Has a music festival ever been on Belle Isle before? Any thoughts on this coming here or the logistics of it?
    Metallica? On Belle Isle? 3 YEARS IN A ROW?????? BUMMER!

WRIF used to do concerts on Belle Isle a long time ago. They were stopped because shockingly, they attracted long-haired drinking deadbeat types!

Don't forget the WABX Air Aces kite ins.

I think this is fantastic.
    While Lars Ulrich is kind of a punk when it comes to not sharing his music, Metallica does have a "Taper Town" at their shows where an area on the main floor is sectioned off and ppl can bring recording equipment and tape their shows live. I believe the Grateful Dead started doing this early on in their career. The Dead never made much off their albums but always were always top at selling out shows each year. They PLAYED for their money, always touring, and they are still truckin. Isnt that what musicians are supposed to do?

I cant wait for this festival.

This is pretty cool. I was a huge Metallica fan and still occasionally listen to their music. Depending on ticket prices I might check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I think this is fantastic.
    While Lars Ulrich is kind of a punk when it comes to not sharing his music, Metallica does have a "Taper Town" at their shows where an area on the main floor is sectioned off and ppl can bring recording equipment and tape their shows live. I believe the Grateful Dead started doing this early on in their career. The Dead never made much off their albums but always were always top at selling out shows each year. They PLAYED for their money, always touring, and they are still truckin. Isnt that what musicians are supposed to do?

I cant wait for this festival.
    Lars and Metallica did a lot of damage to themselves when they were complaining about Napster back in the day. I don't know what they were thinking. The funny part is that it's MUCH easier to get free music now than it was back then. With Napster, you had to look up each individual song and download it, now with torrents, you just download entire discographies, all nicely organized with albums and tracklistings.

Ironically at that time, I actually bought and owned my Metallica albums, I was simply downloading their songs to have them on my computer for convenience [[I didn't realize I could just ripp songs off the CD and convert to MP3). Technically they "banned" me for downloading music I already owned.

Today I probably have almost a Terabyte of music, didn't pay for it, nor did I download it. I simply swap music with friends, which technically isn't illegal. I support live music however, and will gladly pay to see musicians I like in person.

I almost want to download a Metallica discography just to piss the band off [[and then delete it).

How much "damage" could Metallica have done to themselves given their continued popularity and sales?

Myself, I was taught not to steal.

Shollin Guest

Wait, Bad Brains is mad at Metalica because he couldn't steal their music?

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    How much "damage" could Metallica have done to themselves given their continued popularity and sales?

Myself, I was taught not to steal.
    Nobody takes them seriously anymore. The fact they still have fans is a feat onto themselves, so I'll give them credit for that.

Nobody takes them seriously anymore. The fact they still have fans is a feat onto themselves, so I'll give them credit for that.

I wonder how many times someone said that about the Stones?
    Just cause they're not bangin their heads like they were 25 yrs old does not mean they cant make new and kickass music. A musician is a musician, thats their craft, thats their art, it doesnt go away. If they continue to want to create I believe they will. Maybe they wont have all the success as the young hungry group they were but artists have their ups and downs and problems and age and... I wouldnt count them out.

Not sure if Hatfield has stayed on the wagon though.

When I was in high school and they were breaking through, about 1985 I was definitely not into them as I was punk rock. It took me a few years to ignore the cliques. Fuck a punk rock, fuck a burnout, a preppie, a emo. If the music makes me tap my foot Im gonna tap it.

I think it's cool no matter what band it is. I think it's a great idea.

Put the Coop on the bill! Y'know, since he doesn't have the State Fair to rock every year...

Lars and Metallica did a lot of damage to themselves when they were complaining about Napster back in the day. I don't know what they were thinking. The funny part is that it's MUCH easier to get free music now than it was back then. With Napster, you had to look up each individual song and download it, now with torrents, you just download entire discographies, all nicely organized with albums and tracklistings.

Ironically at that time, I actually bought and owned my Metallica albums, I was simply downloading their songs to have them on my computer for convenience [[I didn't realize I could just ripp songs off the CD and convert to MP3). Technically they "banned" me for downloading music I already owned.

Today I probably have almost a Terabyte of music, didn't pay for it, nor did I download it. I simply swap music with friends, which technically isn't illegal. I support live music however, and will gladly pay to see musicians I like in person.

I almost want to download a Metallica discography just to piss the band off [[and then delete it).
    Gee... so you violate copyright laws.... and just because everyone else does it, that makes it OK.... and because you got caught and had your hand slapped that makes them a lousy band....

I still think Movement should be on Belle Isle too!

It would be amazing to see Movement grow large enough to fill Hart Plaza, Belle Isle, AND the Chene Park amphitheater. Then again, that much bass energy will take away the need for any weak building demolition for a few miles...and we can kiss away any goodwill with the fine folks in Windsor, at least the ones who can still hear over the hum.

That said, at the Palace a few years back, Godsmack gobsmacked us by knocking Metallica off the stage in every way...it was almost embarrassing. Even with their video support...

So I hope Metallica has a new A-game.

I wonder if the HoeDown folks are watching this...anyone know what their attendance was down at the Ford Field corral this year?!

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Wait, Bad Brains is mad at Metalica because he couldn't steal their music?
    When did I say I stole their music? You must not know how to read or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Gee... so you violate copyright laws.... and just because everyone else does it, that makes it OK.... and because you got caught and had your hand slapped that makes them a lousy band....
    Whether or not I broke any copyright laws is still a grey matter now, and it was even more-so back in 2000 when Lars was crying about it. From what I remember, Napster was free and didn't make any money, as it was a peer-to-peer download system. I can plug my external hard drive into my friends computer and drop and drag every MP3 he has onto it and I have broken no laws.

Perhaps Metallica should have patented CD burners that came standard on EVERY computer at the time, and patented the ideas of blank CDs that you can burn songs too. Last I check, it's not illegal to burn CDs, it's only "illegal" if you sell that CD. Maybe even if the record labels didn't reject the whole idea, they could have banked big time.

As much as I hate Kid Rock and his music, one of the good things he has said is "Music sharing doesn't bother me, the people have just found a way of screwing the record labels the same way the record labels have been screwing the artists for decades, and it's beautiful."

Support musicians by seeing them live. That's how they make their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    This has nothing to do with Detroit, but to call file-sharing illegal is technically correct -- but socially naive. Sharing is the purpose of music. Sit around turntable and listen to the Beatles, Stones, Stooges -- whatever. Today we do the same but don't have to sit around the turntable. The RIA and Metallica didn't get it -- they're coming around. Because it turns out that those who 'illegally' download actually buy more product than those who don't. They now realize their financial future depends on sharing.

Whether or not I broke any copyright laws is still a grey matter now, and it was even more-so back in 2000 when Lars was crying about it. From what I remember, Napster was free and didn't make any money, as it was a peer-to-peer download system. I can plug my external hard drive into my friends computer and drop and drag every MP3 he has onto it and I have broken no laws.

Perhaps Metallica should have patented CD burners that came standard on EVERY computer at the time, and patented the ideas of blank CDs that you can burn songs too. Last I check, it's not illegal to burn CDs, it's only "illegal" if you sell that CD. Maybe even if the record labels didn't reject the whole idea, they could have banked big time.

As much as I hate Kid Rock and his music, one of the good things he has said is "Music sharing doesn't bother me, the people have just found a way of screwing the record labels the same way the record labels have been screwing the artists for decades, and it's beautiful."

Support musicians by seeing them live. That's how they make their money.
    Please, nobody take this man's advice on issues concerning copyright! He is completely incorrect!

There are many musicians who do not play live. Why should they not make money if you're enjoying their music?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    This has nothing to do with Detroit, but to call file-sharing illegal is technically correct -- but socially naive. Sharing is the purpose of music. Sit around turntable and listen to the Beatles, Stones, Stooges -- whatever. Today we do the same but don't have to sit around the turntable. The RIA and Metallica didn't get it -- they're coming around. Because it turns out that those who 'illegally' download actually buy more product than those who don't. They now realize their financial future depends on sharing.
    I've made music. I've toured. I've released records for other musicians. I certainly do not share for free.

I think I am one of many of my generation who cringe at the very mention of "Metallica" regardless of the music.

The industrial conglomerates that have fought to preserve Mickey Mouse's and the like's copyrights have reaped what they've sown. They've needed to adapt their business models. Also the internet does allow many more musicians to make money from their craft than before. It's just there are fewer people who would do the work of building up your band for you anymore.
    Last edited by laphoque; December-31-12 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    It would be amazing to see Movement grow large enough to fill Hart Plaza, Belle Isle, AND the Chene Park amphitheater. Then again, that much bass energy will take away the need for any weak building demolition for a few miles...and we can kiss away any goodwill with the fine folks in Windsor, at least the ones who can still hear over the hum.

I wonder if the HoeDown folks are watching this...anyone know what their attendance was down at the Ford Field corral this year?!

Just think, Movement on Memorial Weekend, the Hoedown the next weekend, then the Orion festival or vice versa. [[Can't remember exact dates.)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast