Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
Corktown, I understand that there are fine points in the law.....but that has no bearing on this kind of behavior.

Police & fire are almost non-existent. The city is crumbling beyond repair even in my kids lifetime, and now you have folks that can pull this kind of shit, and the law doesn't back up the rightful owner in an expedient manner.

And yet all the threads on this site as to how to fix the city go on. As long as what I spoke of above isn't corrected, Detroit will never be fixed.....and that makes me very sad as a place I called home and enjoyed for over half a century, and for many generations before me......since about 1840 to be exact.
I'm not siding with the squatters, quite the opposite, exactly. What I'm saying is that eliminating the squatters is not as simple as we'd like it to be. The law needs to be rewritten, for sure. But it needs to be done bpth quickly and carefully, and being mindful of the resources for enforcement as well as with an eye toward protecting the actual innocents from being screwed over by fraudulent landlords.