Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Bummer it is replacing the Tin Fish - the only decent mall restaurant I have known.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Safety was probably one of the issues why Cheesecake Factory didn't come downtown. The city leaders also have a way of shutting or discouraging national chains of restaurant or retail from opening downtown. The mayor had once said that he will help out the retail that had stayed in detroit through out the years instead of new ones who want to come into the city. This forces shoppers to coninue to go to the suburbs to do their shopping. Bing lives in a gated community in the suburbs. The cheescake bistro is not like the cheesecake factory. Lavan Hawkins is Bing's boy. Bing probably would not allow any restaurant to open downtown that would take away profits from Lavan and any other city supported and funded restaurants or retail
    From experience I would agree with you there,the govenor has also repetitively made clear he supports existing business verses ones looking to locate to the city and state.

You kinda understand it in order to stop the bleeding and support what is there but it is somewhat clear that lack of new investment has its drawbacks also.But their line of thought seems to be making the city and state a healthy and productive most wanted place to work and play so it must be working.

Lowell

Bummer it is replacing the Tin Fish - the only decent mall restaurant I have known.
    The one on M-59 is being sued for about a half million by the mall for unpaid rent and other fees . Can't comment on the food...haven't eaten at a tin fish since the original seasonal place out on Lake St. Clair. Clearly something didn't translate to the non-boater crowd.
    Last edited by bailey; February-25-13 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Mid-range chain restaurant.

If you've ever eaten at J Alexander, it's on a similar tier. But JA probably has better food...
    Really? I've been to the J Alexander in Toledo once and the Cheesecake Factory in Milwaukee once. J Alexander seemed much nicer across the board. Of course, I've been to each only one time. First impressions...

The Cheesecake Factory may as well have been an Applebees.

Cheesecake Factory was going to go in at Somerset III then that project was killed, then they were looking at Somerset North about 7 years ago however they didn't like the lack of parking for the restaurant and Forbes couldn't rectify the situation. The economy tanked and put the expansion on hold as it did for many national tenants in the Detroit area, only recently have national tenants looked at expanding here again and some are still skittish because of poorer performing stores in the area. Trader Joe's in an example, one of their stores here is one of the worst performing stores in the chain and has been from its opening, it is why they have been very reluctant to finish the build-out of their stores in the Detroit area. Costco's in the Detroit area were doing well with staple items but the other items were not moving as fast as they would like. They pulled out of 3 stores back in 2006 time frame.

There had been talk that Cheesecake Factory was looking at Fairlane to go with the over haul of the mall if it happens as it would have been a huge draw. Taubman is looking at the feasibility of overhauling the mall and transforming it into a modern regional center. After the Tin Fish space opened up in 12 Oaks it became a natural fit for the Cheesecake Factory as allowed them to enter the market much faster. The issue for Mall operators is that for tenants like the Cheesecake factory they pay very little rent. They know they are the reason that people go to the mall and can raise the rent on other tenants in the mall. They want choice spots, that is why they normally go in on new construction they can pick exactly where they want to go and get a space that fits their business model.

Detroit/Ann Arbor could support 2-3 Cheesecake Factories, and one Grand LUX. I see Grand LUX going to Somerset if they can work though issue with parking.

Downtown will not get one unless it can come up with a lot of shopping to become a regional shopping destination.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Really? I've been to the J Alexander in Toledo once and the Cheesecake Factory in Milwaukee once. J Alexander seemed much nicer across the board. Of course, I've been to each only one time. First impressions...

I'm speaking in terms of price. I think J Alexander is a much better place to eat, but they are about the same in price. CCF is more expensive than Applebees.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I'm speaking in terms of price. I think J Alexander is a much better place to eat, but they are about the same in price. CCF is more expensive than Applebees.
    Okay, I got you. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I've been to a Cheesecake factory once too. Still can't see what all the hype is about. It serves food portions the size of Tony's in Birch Run, but at three times the price. Neither the portion size or the cost seem worth it to me.

Entertaining Crain's article on the difficulty in getting any official statement from CF [[unlike BW3 or Tilted Kilt). When they finally wrote back six months later, this is what they got:

What I got was … lacking to say the least.

What was the determining factor in coming to Southeast Michigan? Why now?
    We have been looking for a location in Southeast Michigan for quite some time and really liked the Twelve Oaks Mall location. We felt that it was time to come back to Detroit, where it all started.
    Why Novi over Somerset Collection in Troy?
    Twelve Oaks and Somerset mall are certainly two of the most desirable spots in the area. But when the location came up at Twelve Oaks, we really liked it and thought it would be a great site for us.
    How long has the company had its eye on metro Detroit?
    We have been looking for a great location in metro Detroit for many years.

Disappointed? So was I.
    What is the deal about Detroit being "where it all started"? Is there some Detroit connection I am unaware of?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    What is the deal about Detroit being "where it all started"? Is there some Detroit connection I am unaware of?
    Um. well, what do you think it means when someone says Detroit is "where it all started"?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Entertaining Crain's article on the difficulty in getting any official statement from CF [[unlike BW3 or Tilted Kilt). When they finally wrote back six months later, this is what they got:

http://www.thecheesecakefactory.com/...story/ourstory

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Um. well, what do you think it means when someone says Detroit is "where it all started"?
    I thought I'd read that it was started in California...my bad.

Doesnt a place like Hooters specialize n Cheesecake too?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Doesnt a place like Hooters specialize n Cheesecake too?
    Yes, those young ladies are used to doing cheescake.

i wonder will they offer a take on Detroit-based cuisine.. gourmet coneys?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I've been to a Cheesecake factory once too. Still can't see what all the hype is about. It serves food portions the size of Tony's in Birch Run, but at three times the price. Neither the portion size or the cost seem worth it to me.
    Oh wow....... Tony's...... memory lane. When I played football in high school we'd drive all the way there after the games. I remember getting sick from eating too much of that ice cream sundae.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    I disagree. The area is full of people. The people from Novi and Wixom and Northville and Commerce etc... aren't going to drive downtown in their minivan with their kids for dinner. Its not like Cheesecake factory is building out in the wilderness and expecting people to drive 50 miles to get there.
    You think downtown restaurants are supported by just city residents? Because we know suburbanites NEVER eat downtown
    Last edited by MSUguy; February-25-13 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    You think downtown restaurants are supported by just city residents? Because we know suburbanites NEVER eat downtown
    I would guess that suburbanites account for around 90% of downtown dining spending. If we're talking special events [[the lifeblood of most non weekday lunch counter downtown restaurants), the % is probably higher.

Looking at current downtown events, what % of Red Wings or DSO or Lion King customers are Detroit residents? I'm not even confident that 5% live in city limits.

The problem, though, is that downtown restaurants are dependent on these special events. I doubt a downtown Cheesecake Factory would get the 7-day-a-week crowds you'll see in Novi. A snowy Tuesday in Februrary will be a ghost town if there's no Wings game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I would guess that suburbanites account for around 90% of downtown dining spending. If we're talking special events [[the lifeblood of most non weekday lunch counter downtown restaurants), the % is probably higher.

Looking at current downtown events, what % of Red Wings or DSO or Lion King customers are Detroit residents? I'm not even confident that 5% live in city limits.

The problem, though, is that downtown restaurants are dependent on these special events. I doubt a downtown Cheesecake Factory would get the 7-day-a-week crowds you'll see in Novi. A snowy Tuesday in Februrary will be a ghost town if there's no Wings game.
    Valid point. Slow's would have shut it's doors years ago if it wasn't for people driving in to eat there.

Not a Joke: Cheesecake Factory to Open Here

. .the trendy 1980s have officially arrived in metro Detroit!

"The Cheesecake Factory is planning to hold a grand opening for its location at Twelve Oaks Mall in Novi on Aug. 13."

http://www.freep.com/article/20130521/BUSINESS06/305210082/Cheesecake-Factory-Twelve-Oaks-Novi

Outstanding - a restaurant I would never go to in a place I will never be! This works out well.

Perhaps this can nudge Michigan from 8th fattest state in the Union to number one, someday, as the roly-polies pile into their SUVs and camp out for the opening.

curious. Well, good luck to them. The Novi location means I won't be heading out that way that often. But for whoever likes the food there, kudos.

That is a Joke for the Cheescake factory to open the suburbs instead of Downtown Detroit. I'm not going to eat there until the open on in Detroit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3