Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    If you truly think suburban Detroit has enough of everything the world can offer... I feel sad for you. You should get out more.
    What can you not get in the suburbs? Tell me? Your not understanding me, I lived all over the world..I've never seen such ambitious plans for its suburb than any other major metropolis city. There is a reason why majority live in the suburbs...it has everything everybody wants for a perfect livelihood. Right? Isn't that the american dream? I've heard this sooo many times, "Why will I come to Detroit when there is this and that and everything else where I live [[Novi, West Bloomfield..etc)". Yall say this, not me...
    Last edited by gthomas; February-22-13 at 02:45 PM.

I live in Midtown and I've haven't been to the suburbs in about 5 years...yes, I haven't crossed 8mile for that long. No need, I have everything I need to get in my city. Knowing the suburbs has way more options, I choose not to patronize out there for many reasons. So when I hear about another restaurant and retail opening up that is similar to its business..is just insane to me. Why have 3 Apple store, 12 Meijers, Walmarts etc..4 Macy, 5 Star theater, 15 Olive Gardens, TGIFridays etc...in one county. But Detroit doesn't have "ONE", that's why I applaud Whole Foods, Meijers, Moosejaw, Home Depot etc for investing here...I believe the ones here in the city are the most profitable and making a better statement for its name.
    Last edited by gthomas; February-22-13 at 02:55 PM.

What is the food like at this restaurant chain? btw, I"m allergic to eggs, seafood and tree nuts.

I ate at the one in Chicago once but don't really care for it. I mean they probably have the biggest menu of any restaurant and the portions are so large you need Oxygen but that stuff isn't for me.

I live across the street from Cheesecake Factory in Chicago....almost for 4 years now and have gone there maybe twice. The second was dessert only. I mean it's fine and all. I just never get why out of towners insist on going there...of all the food the city has to offer.

I also consider Metro Detroit to be "Detroit" in many ways. In fact, many areas outside the city are more like Detroit 50 years ago than areas within the City limits today. That includes most Detroiters who now live in surrounding burbs. Btw- Detroiters travel to Novi all the time. There are a lot of popular hangouts around there that attract people from all over. By the way.. The Detroit Zoo is outside the city limits, too.

I love threads that start with "Not A Joke"

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    What is the food like at this restaurant chain? btw, I"m allergic to eggs, seafood and tree nuts.
    Mid-range chain restaurant.

If you've ever eaten at J Alexander, it's on a similar tier. But JA probably has better food...

GUSHI Guest

Speaking of j Alexander's I'm surprised there isn't on on 59 yet,

Most of us who live out here don't frequent the restaurants at the mall. There's plenty of decent places to eat in Novi outside of 12 Oaks Mall.

Geez [[cheese).....wonder why Detroit was Not selected as the site to build the restaurant?

Oh, maybe because of the MOST MISERABLE CITY AWARD, great job mayor & city council!!!! Do you think they will list the prestigious award on their resume?????

Quote Originally Posted by rooms222 View Post
    Also, the House of Blues in Novi is going to be the only suburban one in existence... One step forward, and two steps back? Now a lot of smaller musical acts will be playing out in Novi, too......

*** I am not counting the two Disney House of Blues or the Myrtle Beach one as suburban. The Myrtle Beach one is in N. Myrtle Beach, but is on the water. Maybe it is a suburban one, all the others are in urban downtowns, according to a quick view of the website.......Wonder if downtown Detroit had a shot? ***
    I've been to the HOB in N. Myrtle...it is not on the water...unless you count that swamp you pass on the way in as "the water".

So, I am the CEO of a large restaurant chain looking to expand. I ahve the following choices: Twelve Oaks area, Hall Road area, Great Lakes Crossing area, or downtown Detroit. I ask my staff for recommendations. Who recommends downtown Detroit?

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    So, I am the CEO of a large restaurant chain looking to expand. I ahve the following choices: Twelve Oaks area, Hall Road area, Great Lakes Crossing area, or downtown Detroit. I ask my staff for recommendations. Who recommends downtown Detroit?
    It depends. Does your staff have an account on this forum?

Safety was probably one of the issues why Cheesecake Factory didn't come downtown. The city leaders also have a way of shutting or discouraging national chains of restaurant or retail from opening downtown. The mayor had once said that he will help out the retail that had stayed in detroit through out the years instead of new ones who want to come into the city. This forces shoppers to coninue to go to the suburbs to do their shopping. Bing lives in a gated community in the suburbs. The cheescake bistro is not like the cheesecake factory. Lavan Hawkins is Bing's boy. Bing probably would not allow any restaurant to open downtown that would take away profits from Lavan and any other city supported and funded restaurants or retail

Shollin Guest

Yet Buffalo Wild Wings, a national chain, just opened downtown to much fanfare. Conspiracy theories are always fun, but businesses don't open in Detroit because there isn't money to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Yet Buffalo Wild Wings, a national chain, just opened downtown to much fanfare. Conspiracy theories are always fun, but businesses don't open in Detroit because there isn't money to be made.
    Buffalo Wild Wings was forced to shut down their upper level by the city during the superbowl. They were force to close very early this past New Years Eve. They were going to open last November but the city came up with new violations to keep construction going. Pandhandlers are allow to hang around outside of the door at times. Sounds like city harrasment to me as a conspiracy theorist

There is money to be made downtown if this suburban supported Mayor and Council had not removed the extra police protection that once patrolled downtown. Another hinderance to retail wanting to open on Merchants Row is the Jazz Liquor Store that the city especially the zoning commision allowed to open in that spot. It appears that someone had known of Gilbert's and Karmanoes plans of opening major retail stores on that strip. Those plans are being pissed on by allowing to bad elements; a liquor store and bus stops to be on that strip

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    suburban supported Mayor and Council
    Are you going for most ridiculous statement of the year award?

Then why did Buffalo Wild Wings open?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    The CCF would've lost no business by locating in downtown Detroit vs Twelve Oaks. The same people who would drive to Twelve Oaks are the same people who would be driving downtown if they had decided to open there.

The CCF would've lost no business by locating in downtown Detroit vs Twelve Oaks. The same people who would drive to Twelve Oaks are the same people who would be driving downtown if they had decided to open there.
    I disagree. The area is full of people. The people from Novi and Wixom and Northville and Commerce etc... aren't going to drive downtown in their minivan with their kids for dinner. Its not like Cheesecake factory is building out in the wilderness and expecting people to drive 50 miles to get there.
    Last edited by Cliffy; February-23-13 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    I'm not worried nor care anymore for the "Cheesecake factory" locating Downtown. Gilbert has 80-100 national and local retailers and restaurants debuting by 2015 when the lightrail is up and running. They will one day realize that they should of invested Downtown...not to mention Ilitch new entertainment/retail plans. So I'm over them taking so long to open one in the area, and not to consider Downtown was silly.
    Yeah, you tell 'em gthomas. Cheesecake Factory sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    I disagree. The area is full of people. The people from Novi and Wixom and Northville and Commerce etc... aren't going to drive downtown in their minivan with their kids for dinner. Its not like Cheesecake factory is building out in the wilderness and expecting people to drive 50 miles to get there.
    This isn't Applebees we're talking about. If people will drive to Chicago or Cleveland to eat at a CCF they would absolutely drive to downtown Detroit for it too.

This isn't Applebees we're talking about. If people will drive to Chicago or Cleveland to eat at a CCF they would absolutely drive to downtown Detroit for it too.
    Well if it has that kind of following then you're right. I just went to it one time because I was standing in front of it and I like Cheesecake.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast