Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Since there isn't a crime lab. I'm going to produce a new police drama in Detroit.

CSA

Crime Scene Ain't no investigation.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport View Post
    First of all, I have yet to hear a valid solution as to what to do if the incinerator DID go away. Yeah, I've heard the tree huggers screamin "Hey everybody, let's recycle!!!" That's great in theory, but the reality is, it's a long ways from being a replacement for the incinerator. Personally, our house is increasingly recycling more and more items. Yet I'm sad to say, getting the MAJORITY of Detroiters on board with separating items into different bins, then placing the multiple bins out to the curb, is probably a long ways off. So what do we do with the trash that wouldn't get recycled, go back to burying it in landfills? Personally, I'd rather see it burned. I feel there should be a push for recycling in Detroit, growing it perhaps a neighborhood at a time, and test out how feasible it is. What you don't do is spend millions on a program that hasn't been tested, simply because the green crowd doesn't like the incinerator.
    Why would you rather see it burned? Even if it is burned, it produces ash that has to be buried, and that ash is much more toxic than the raw, unburned garbage. Besides, as someone who has to smell that fucking incinerator every time the wind blows from the east, the burning process in and of itself is not exactly pleasant for those of us who live near it. Incineration was a bad idea that briefly gained popularity right before the advent of recycling made it obsolete, and that five or ten-year window was the period during which CAY built the incinerator. There is no reason we should continue to dump money down that rathole. Landfilling is cheaper anyway.

BTW, have you ever compared asthma rates in the zip codes immediately surrounding the incinerator to those further out? "The green crowd" isn't just pulling this out of their asses. There are very real health risks associated with living downwind of that thing. Luckily for me, the wind doesn't often blow east-to-west, or I'd be looking to move.

BTW, have you ever compared asthma rates in the zip codes immediately surrounding the incinerator to those further out? "The green crowd" isn't just pulling this out of their asses. There are very real health risks associated with living downwind of that thing. Luckily for me, the wind doesn't often blow east-to-west, or I'd be looking to move.

Check out the MDEQ's reports. The areas on the east side further away from the incinerator have air quality that's worse than the areas immediately surrounding it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2