Quote Originally Posted by Supersport View Post
Does anybody really believe that if Bing loses in the election that he will be a resident of Detroit another day? Depending on his loss margin, he may hang a bit longer to run again in the fall. He is our own version of Hillary Clinton, moving into town for his own personal political gain...

The police department continues to undergo many changes/improvements, most importantly, the reopening of precincts/mini stations. Obviously, problems still persist, though they persist due to the previous administration's closing of precincts. Until new stations open and district boundaries are redrawn, service probably won't seem improved to many people.
I fine with a political opportunist, as long as it's one gets things done once he's in office. Ken Cockrel is a life-long Detroiter, who seems more in love with the idea of being called "Mayor" than he is in actually doing the work associated with the job.

I don't expect Detroit's Mayor to solve all of our problems in 6 months, but I do expect him to accomplish something.

Case in point: you talked about the re-opening of various precincts/mini-stations. That's nice.

How many 9-1-1 calls will those mini-stations answer?

Oh, yeah. I forgot. The answer is: none. Zip. Zilch. Zero. Nada.

It's a token gesture, meant to make people feel like he's doing something without actually accomplishing anything.

One of the biggest problems with the Detroit Police Department is that there aren't enough police officers on patrol to respond to all of the calls coming in to the system. Why is that Mr. Cockrel can find the resources to re-open all of these buildings and get a new mobile mini-station [[just as useless as a stationary one, but with pretty, flashing lights), but he can't hire police officers?

Dave Bing is a bit of a gamble. He is the front-runner and like a lot of other front-runner, he is trying to be very vague about what he'll do as mayor. However, we're down to a choice between him and a guy who we know won't even bother trying to do anything productive.

The worst thing that can possibly happen is that Mr. Bing turns out to be just as useless as Mr. Cockrel has been. If that's the case then we as a community will have a chance to throw him out of office in November.