Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Gave up religion for lent a generation ago

I went to St. Martha's yesterday. They changed the fish they have. I think they used to have whitefish. Now they have cod which is so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Farwell View Post
    Per recommendation of this forum we tried the St Francis Fish Fry yesterday. Very disappointed. Fish was greasy and fries and fish were cold. Will not be back. Love to support these efforts but there are better ones in the metro area.
    I'm quite surprised your food was cold. Were you there late in the day?

4:30 PM Trying different fish frys is a tradition with us each year. We made an 80 mile round trip to try this one. Quality of the fish was also poor and it was over soaked in lemon juice.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Gnome your thread title is slightly offensive. Please kindly unfcuk yourself and stuff down some more fried cod with tartar. Thanks, your local defensive parishioner.
    slightly offensive? really?
    Lighten up will ya. As someone who holds very little respect for the Catholic church, I have to tell you - the title could have been SO much worse.

Went to St. Veronicas for friday fish fry. Went thru the drive thru. You stay in your car, and they take your order. We got one dinner fried, and one baked. Very good!

Per recommendation of this forum we tried the St Francis Fish Fry yesterday. Very disappointed. Fish was greasy and fries and fish were cold. Will not be back. Love to support these efforts but there are better ones in the metro area.
    Hmm... not my experience at all. I wonder what went wrong. No, it was not haute cuisine. It was what I expected -- an inexpensive, hot meal that filled me up and didn't leave me with heartburn served by humble parishioners in a charming setting.

We went to Sweetest Heart of Mary for a fish dinner! Really good dinner: 3 pieces of fried cod, baked potato [[you get a choice of baked potato or fries or mac & cheese), cole slaw. Coffee and bread basket free. Pop or bottled water for a minimal charge. Additional sides include Potato Pierogi and the "to die for" fried dill pickles.

Recommended!!!

^^^ Hah! I've had fried dill pickles over at Manattan Fish and Chicken over on Conner east side. Sorta weird but fun on occasion! Meal sounds great as you describe it. I need to run over there like yesterday. Yummy! Thanks K.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-24-13 at 10:37 AM.

I went with a coworker a couple years ago to St Francis for the lunch fish fry and it was great. I couldn't believe all the seniors working there. This isn't no fake 60 year old seniors, these are people in their 80's and above!

4:30 PM Trying different fish frys is a tradition with us each year. We made an 80 mile round trip to try this one. Quality of the fish was also poor and it was over soaked in lemon juice.
    God might be trying to tell ya to stop wasting gas. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrog View Post
    slightly offensive? really?
    Lighten up will ya. As someone who holds very little respect for the Catholic church, I have to tell you - the title could have been SO much worse.
    I agree with hybridy. I found the title of this post offensive and I'm not religious. You have a right to disrespect the Catholic Church. But the OP could have shown some consideration to the people on here who are Catholic and perhaps do not share the OP feelings.

Awwwww Gannon, I'm sure the almighty [[whoever that may be) allows me to "waste" gas [[which I can easily afford) or allows any of us in our own way to "waste" our choices as we see fit [["herbs" any one?) The only thing I regret wasting is the time which cannot be replaced. Just offering a different opinion on the topic. I happen to think SWofM and the Gaelic League are excellent. Just sayin.

Cheers!

That may have been a contributing factor. The first time I went there was late in the day for a carryout for dinner at home. I thought it was "okay". The next time I went closer to noon for lunch, & it was much better. You might have gotten the end of the day/supply, "we're going to cook up everything at 3 pm & keep it in a warmer because we need to be out the building by 6 pm" batch of food. Remember, this fish fry is run by a bunch of seniors in a parish in Detroit. Most seniors don't like to drive after dark. There are parishes in Detroit that don't have many activities in the evenings because of crime in the area too. My thought with St. Francis is that the later the day goes on, the quicker the folks want to get things wrapped up & close up for the day. I've heard they've even run out of fish at times before 5 pm, & close when they run out. I've always operated with the thought that if you can't get there by 5 pm, you can forget it because that's when they start packing up.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    I agree with hybridy. I found the title of this post offensive and I'm not religious. You have a right to disrespect the Catholic Church. But the OP could have shown some consideration to the people on here who are Catholic and perhaps do not share the OP feelings.
    I regret your offense, but must confess that I am Catholic. Very Catholic. Even though I have been practicing for over 50 years, I'm still not very good at it.

For those offended by the thread title, you can rest assured I intended no offense to your heighten sensitivity to religious persecution. I only intended to create a title which would garner interest and more therefore more clicks.

After being here for a couple of years, I have found that generic sounding thread titles do not attract eyeballs. I believe you find you will find the same reasoning is used in headline writing. To get readers to read, you need to attract their attention.

It does appear though that a select few have been offended by the phrase dirty foreheads. I assume most folks know that Ash Wednesday means you rub ashes on your forehead, and walk around all day with those ashes. The ashes signify the dirt from which you were created and the dirt you will return.

For Catholics the ashes represent an understanding of one's mortality and their existential reality within a Augustinian understanding of redemption. Now, maybe some folks reject the notion of redemption, maybe you think St. Augustine was just another fop in a pointy hat. Maybe his notion of a Just War rankles your sensibilities in this age of drone strikes and car bombs.

Maybe all that is just so much hooey, and when you see dirty you think something unclean or filthy. You see the word as an assault on Papists and even you aren't one, you think people should have the right to choose even if the Church thinks you shouldn't have a choice, but maybe that is a different question for a different day.

The question centers around dirt foreheads and fried fish.

Unless there is a large segment of this forum community who are cardiologists, I can't imagine fried fish is a big problem. I understand the vegan thing, but maybe that is a complete lifestyle choice and not limited to a few fridays towards the end of winter.

Also, if someone had a larger issue with fried fish, I would think an assault on Mrs. Paul or the fish stick industry would be a better use of your time.

Which brings us back to Ashes and whether they are dirty if they a sacred? Hence while you could have dirt on your forehead any day of the year, this particular day, the dirt doesn't reflect your penchant for the abhorrence of soap, rather it displays your understanding that some day, maybe tomorrow, your toes will curl for one last time.

so maybe you are offended by the mix of fish and death, especially with the all important tarter sauce on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I regret your offense, but must confess that I am Catholic. Very Catholic. Even though I have been practicing for over 50 years, I'm still not very good at it.

For those offended by the thread title, you can rest assured I intended no offense to your heighten sensitivity to religious persecution. I only intended to create a title which would garner interest and more therefore more clicks.
    You are forgiven my son. For your penance say three Dave Bings and four Joann Watsons. Go forth and post no more.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-25-13 at 05:50 PM.

gnome, don't give in to the whiners that just look for a reason to be offended.

Signed,
    A Catholic

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

After being here for a couple of years, I have found that generic sounding thread titles do not attract eyeballs. I believe you find you will find the same reasoning is used in headline writing. To get readers to read, you need to attract their attention.

It does appear though that a select few have been offended by the phrase dirty foreheads. I assume most folks know that Ash Wednesday means you rub ashes on your forehead, and walk around all day with those ashes. The ashes signify the dirt from which you were created and the dirt you will return.

For Catholics the ashes represent an understanding of one's mortality and their existential reality within a Augustinian understanding of redemption. Now, maybe some folks reject the notion of redemption, maybe you think St. Augustine was just another fop in a pointy hat. Maybe his notion of a Just War rankles your sensibilities in this age of drone strikes and car bombs.

Maybe all that is just so much hooey, and when you see dirty you think something unclean or filthy. You see the word as an assault on Papists and even you aren't one, you think people should have the right to choose even if the Church thinks you shouldn't have a choice, but maybe that is a different question for a different day.

The question centers around dirt foreheads and fried fish.

Unless there is a large segment of this forum community who are cardiologists, I can't imagine fried fish is a big problem. I understand the vegan thing, but maybe that is a complete lifestyle choice and not limited to a few fridays towards the end of winter.

Also, if someone had a larger issue with fried fish, I would think an assault on Mrs. Paul or the fish stick industry would be a better use of your time.

Which brings us back to Ashes and whether they are dirty if they a sacred? Hence while you could have dirt on your forehead any day of the year, this particular day, the dirt doesn't reflect your penchant for the abhorrence of soap, rather it displays your understanding that some day, maybe tomorrow, your toes will curl for one last time.

so maybe you are offended by the mix of fish and death, especially with the all important tarter sauce on the side.
    gnome although its quite eloquent I agree with Eber Brock Ward there was no need to answer the cry babies on here! I am also a 50 plus year old Catholic and thought your header was quite novel. We all know the original reason for fish on fridays and we don't really have to do consume the fare, but I find a little discipline during lent is not only good for my soul its also very good for my health[[Type II diabetic and fish goes a long way towards maintaining proper blood sugar levels)! On the other hand I find those who mock this practice quite offensive, and maybe you all should try it as a little discipline looks to be lacking in your lives.
    Last for those whose schedule demands precludes them from trying out one of the many fish fries around town, try the fish taco/burrito at Hot Taco. They are terrific and not overly expensive.

Some geeky trivia: Ashes are biologically very clean. Any microbes that were there were thoroughly sterilized when the ash was produced.

I'm excited. A friend wants to stop in to St. Francis this afternoon for fish then a trip to a pub after. It will be a good reason to leave work early, I always enjoy St. Francis fish fry, the church, anything.

Gnome: Couldn't agree more with Eber Brock Ward, p69rrh51, Honky Tonk, et al!!!! Your headline was a grabber and not the least bit offensive to this lifelong Catholic.

Now go forth and enjoy the loaves and fishes of the day!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Gnome: Couldn't agree more with Eber Brock Ward, p69rrh51, Honky Tonk, et al!!!! Your headline was a grabber and not the least bit offensive to this lifelong Catholic.

Now go forth and enjoy the loaves and fishes of the day!!!!
    Try as I might, I can't quite seem to get them to multiply.......

My son's hockey practices unfortunately come in the middle of prime Friday Fish Fry time. I've found that the Arbys fish sandwich is actually pretty good, in a pinch. 2 for $4, big piece of fish. Not even close to a real Catholic fish fry, but far better than the filet-o-fish or other fast food fish sandwiches.

Yummmm.....fried fish dinner!! off to go find one!!!

We went to St. Veronica's and, I have to admit, I wasn't that impressed. The fish was pretty good, but I really didn't care for the smorgasboard of side dishes. Sorry, pgn421!!

Just give me some delish fried fish, potatoes, and coleslaw, and I'm a happy camper!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast