Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Can this be moved to the Kroger thread?

Quote Originally Posted by grancan View Post
    Can this be moved to the Kroger thread?
    It'll be moved to Kroger YES!.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-14-13 at 05:13 AM.

Yeah, it would only cost several million dollars to change the city's signs, letterhead and documents. I'm sure they'll jump at it over at city hall...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Don't forget a freeway, highway, college, museum and high school [[just to name a few other things).

If anything, that statement argues AGAINST naming anything else after Ford, as the people of Michigan should be suffering from Ford fatigue at this point.
    Ummm... there is more than 1 Ford.... EDSEL FORD FREEWAY... WILLIAM CLAY FORD SPORTS MEDICINE CENTER [[in New Center)... and WALTER BUHL FORD building at CCS...

Metro Detroit would be an even worse basket case if it weren't for the Fords. And after some of the really dumb comments here... it's no wonder the Ford Foundation wants nothing much to do with Detroit and environs...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Ummm... there is more than 1 Ford.... EDSEL FORD FREEWAY... WILLIAM CLAY FORD SPORTS MEDICINE CENTER [[in New Center)... and WALTER BUHL FORD building at CCS...

Metro Detroit would be an even worse basket case if it weren't for the Fords. And after some of the really dumb comments here... it's no wonder the Ford Foundation wants nothing much to do with Detroit and environs...
    How could the region fellate Old Man Ford any more? I guess we could institute Fordism as the regional religion, much like in "Brave New World."

"Ford's in his flivver, all's right with the world."

And after some of the really dumb comments here... it's no wonder the Ford Foundation wants nothing much to do with Detroit and environs...
    A lot of people/companies don't want much to do with "SE Michigan" these days for much bigger reasons.

*Comerica left after 158 years "for whatever reason."
    *Kmart left for Illinois, never to look back
    *48% of our college graduates are fleeing to Illinois, very few of them also aren't looking back.

That said, my point is Henry Ford has more than enough stuff named after him and his family. Yes, he perfected the automobile and assembly line, but his name doesn't need to be on everything around us.

A lot of people/companies don't want much to do with "SE Michigan" these days for much bigger reasons.

*Comerica left after 158 years "for whatever reason."
    *Kmart left for Illinois, never to look back
    *48% of our college graduates are fleeing to Illinois, very few of them also aren't looking back.

That said, my point is Henry Ford has more than enough stuff named after him and his family. Yes, he perfected the automobile and assembly line, but his name doesn't need to be on everything around us.
    The last 3 things I can remember being named with "FORD" were the Ford Lobby at the Detroit Opera House [[they contributed millions to the restoration)... the $20 MILLION gift from Josephine & Walter Buhl Ford [[a CCS Building)... and the William Clay Ford Sr. Clinic in New Center... all very generous donations from the Ford family... and none of which have the name HENRY FORD on them.

We also have the Al Taubman Building [[former Argonaut Bldg.) in New Center, the Boll YMCA downtown... and the Skillman Branch of the DPL downtown.

Now what is your point? Should we stop taking all this philanthropy money if it has the Ford name on it, but accept it if it doesn't?
    Last edited by Gistok; February-13-13 at 04:32 PM.

the $20 gift from Josephine & Walter Buhl Ford [[a CCS Building)...
    Not to seem rude or anything, but that doesn't seem like much of a gift......

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Not to seem rude or anything, but that doesn't seem like much of a gift......
    Perhaps this will put things into perspective [[CCS's own words of 1999)....

"The donation to fund this project was the largest ever given to an art college at the time."

Also additional money was given by the then widowed Josephine Clay Ford to fund the creation of a CCS Sculpture garden next to the DIA.
    Last edited by Gistok; February-13-13 at 02:46 PM.

Perhaps this will put things into perspective [[CCS's own words of 1999)....

"The donation to fund this project was the largest ever given to an art college at the time."

Also additional money was given by the then widowed Josephine Clay Ford to fund the creation of a CCS Sculpture garden next to the DIA.
    Uhm, You posted a "$20" gift, I was trying to be funny. Sorry.

Uhm, You posted a "$20" gift, I was trying to be funny. Sorry.
    Thanks for correcting me... I didn't realize that!

Fordlandia: "Put a Ford on it."

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    City of Henry Ford. I better off calling Dearborn 'New Islamabad!'
    Or Detroit, 'New Africa'?
    Careful Danny, your racism is showing

I don't think the ADL would be too happy about that name.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrog View Post
    Or Detroit, 'New Africa'?
    Careful Danny, your racism is showing
    So I assume then Mexicantown in Detroit is racist? Or Poletown is racist? Or referring to Hamtramck as Poletown is racist? What about Chinatown? Dearborn has the highest percentage of Arabs in the US. Why is it racist to give this Arab enclave an Arab nickname? Seriously, people cry racism over anything.

Far better than the useless that that useless ditty of a lyric by Boyonce: "Put a ring on it"..................

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Fordlandia: "Put a Ford on it."

Ah yes, the side-by-side Kroger on Michigan Ave thread. Hmmmn....?

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    The one on the north side has maintained the Farmer Jack layout & still attracts the former Farmer Jack shoppers.

And the cities community college...

What a response... does the name F O R D on a hospital, health care system and corporation evoke the same tantrum in you?

Even more Ford over on the west side of the state [[Grand Rapids) ala Gerald Ford! Hey this thread is fun! ----!

Don't forget a freeway, highway, college, museum and high school [[just to name a few other things).

If anything, that statement argues AGAINST naming anything else after Ford, as the people of Michigan should be suffering from Ford fatigue at this point.

And the court house can be renamed "10 for 10"!

Dearborn actually has 4 Kroger's in it. I vote for calling it "Kroger".

Yes, so we should completely ignore and forget the Nazi ties and hatred of Jews by Henry Ford.

We only stand for money.

I think they should change the name to Islamagood, because the way Muslim immigrants have breathed new life into Dearborn is nothing short of amazing.

I do live near Edison, NJ and here is a town that rightfully is proud of a man who, like Henry Ford, made a difference. No man is perfect...not General Dearborn, not Thomas A. Edison and not Henry Ford. I, however, am perfect but in spite of this do not want the name of the town I grew up in [Henry Ford, MI] named after me. As far as Kroger is concerned, the local Kroger store supplied me with Koeplinger's Whole Wheat Bread -the best tasting toasted bread ever made-BUT I DIGRESS. Henry Ford, MI is already a tourist destination of sorts because of Henry Ford. People come there to see the Ford attractions, The Henry Ford, Greenfield Village, the Rouge Plant tours. Residents are INSANE if they do not rename the place Henry Ford, MI in spite of some not-so-hot general from the War of 1812 than never set foot in the place. Of course I can't vote on such a name change, but having lived there for 16 years, going to school there and loving the place, I have more of a right to suggest this name change than any Henry Ford, MI - come lately perhaps.

Alright,
    I'm going to add to the moribund absurdity here: Names Shmames-I label it under the Starless/Starless & Bible Black Syndrome. King Crimson puts out an album called "Starless and Bible Black", the title track is a long instrumental-no mention to the title; then they release "Red" with the song "Starless" that has the chorus "Starless and Bible Black". Confounding? Minutely so, but less than this pointless thread about an anti-semitic, race-baiting anti-unionist industrialist who slept with an axe in every room, twin Krogers, and a Community College that acts as a day care for Hank High graduates.
    I like things a little sloppy and not in a neat package all of the time [[Hey! Northland Mall in the city of Southfield-how do you like that New Jersey? what did Walter Matthau say in the "Sunshine Boys"?: "Nobody moves to New Jersey unless they have to."). East Detroit/East Pointe. Lafayette/American. Ben Kenobi/Obi wan Kenobi. Why did Constantinople get the works...Does it matter who sits next to who, whose named what, and who can't distinguish George from Fred?
    Besides, we should name it Mother Pussbucket, seeing as that's all I find myself saying ever since I moved here from Detroit.
    Last edited by G-DDT; January-24-15 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Not sure why everyone is so harsh on the OP. While I don't support the idea, I appreciate any out-of-box thoughts. With how many things in Dearborn bear the "Ford" name [[for good reason) I don't think changing the city name would make any sense.
    I agree.

l'm flattered that someone so far away has interest in our community.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast