Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    Sorry to be offensive if anyone here is Catholic. I think all organized religions are equally dumb if it makes you feel any better. Some of my best friends are deeply religious, so I don't judge.
    I double-dog dare some of the atheists on this site to specifically call out Islam!
    Christianity = Easy target
    Catholics = Easy target
    Islamists = Atheists too chicken to blast them because Islam fights back!

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    I double-dog dare some of the atheists on this site to specifically call out Islam!
    Catholics = Easy target

Are you saying you'd rather fight back? Nice.

You might be forgetting some of Jesus' most direct teachings.

If these groups are easy targets, it is because they've largely allowed themselves to become so by not following the instructions and encouragements of the One they claim to be founded around...listening to merely human leaders with an agenda instead.

Oddly, I've not encountered any troubles debating the merits of religion with those who follow Islam. Of course, many are surprised that I don't argue their criticisms of some of the more obvious trappings of what I've come to call Xtianity, the portion of Christianity who've forgotten what Jesus actually taught. Most Muslim are taught a canned series of descriptions of bad Catholic behavior through the ages, just like most Christians are only taught the negatives of Islam.

Strangely, BOTH sides only seem to teach that which KEEPS them at each other's throats. I don't see it that simply. That sort of posture only insures there cannot be a path towards peace...a game nobody can win.

Catholics = Easy target
    Atheists slam Islam all the time! and I have, as have others, here. you are just, as usual, stuck in your tiny little bubble that you have no clue what is really going on.

All of the Abrahamic religions, Christianity, Judaism and Islam worship a god who is one of the vilest beings ever conceived by humanity. Mohamed was nothing but a power-hungry war lord who claimed to be a prophet to scare the shit out of a bunch of superstitious fools in order to control his empire.

good enough for you?
    Last edited by rb336; February-15-13 at 11:28 AM.

Gannon and rb336... you've both been here a long time [[like I have)... between Bad Brains and Papasito... do you really want to stop a "dialog of equals"??
    Last edited by Gistok; February-15-13 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    NOT TRUE. DetroitYES does NOT show up in such a search, on page one or two at least I didn't go further.

So i tried the site specific search

anti-catholic forum site:detroityes.com

Then it shows up... Why? Because you and Gushi are the ones repeating it!

Time to distinguish between Catholics and the Catholic Church. True Catholics good. Catholic Church? hmmm...
    As I stated above, maybe old man can show you how to Google the term "sarcasm". I figured Gushi's absurd notion deserved the same in kind but obviously it flew over a few of your heads. I'll try to make my sarcasm a little more transparent for those of you that didn't catch it but, in my opinion, it kind of takes the fun out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Gannon and rb336... you've both been here a long time [[like I have)... between Bad Brains and Papasito... do you really want to stop a "dialog of equals"??
    nah, but when their arguments for every single issue cite the same BS, I just ignore 'em

Breaking news, Joseph Ratzinger to be prosecuted? This was posted without a link on FB:

the International Tribunal into Crimes of Church and State [[ITCCS), through its field Secretary, Rev. Kevin Annett, has written to President Napolitano, asking him to refrain from assisting Ratzinger in evading justice.

In response to the documented crimes of child torture, trafficking and genocide linked to Pope Benedict and Vatican officials, the ITCCS will be sponsoring a series of ongoing protests and occupations of Roman Catholic churches and offices through its affiliates around the world beginning in Easter week, March 24-31, 2013, and continuing indefinitely.

These actions will accompany the legal efforts to bring Joseph Ratzinger and other Vatican officials to trial for their proven complicity in crimes against humanity and criminal conspiracy.

I need not remind you, Mr. President, that under international law and treaties that have been ratified by Italy, you and your government are forbidden from granting such protection to those like Jospeh Ratzinger who have aided and abetted criminal actions, such as ordering Bishops and Cardinals in America and elsewhere to protect known child rapists among their clergy.

Ahh, Here's a link:
    http://itccs.org/
    Last edited by gazhekwe; February-15-13 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Breaking news, Joseph Ratzinger to be prosecuted? This was posted without a link on FB:
    well, if it was on facebook it must be true

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitrobert View Post
    As I stated above, maybe old man can show you how to Google the term "sarcasm". I figured Gushi's absurd notion deserved the same in kind but obviously it flew over a few of your heads. I'll try to make my sarcasm a little more transparent for those of you that didn't catch it but, in my opinion, it kind of takes the fun out of it.
    Fair enough. Sarcasm was my first instinct but it was deeply buried and you are still newbie enough around here that your views aren't established. Had it been Old guy or rb336 it would have been clear.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post

the International Tribunal into Crimes of Church and State [[ITCCS), through its field Secretary, Rev. Kevin Annett, has written to President Napolitano, asking him to refrain from assisting Ratzinger in evading justice.

In response to the documented crimes of child torture, trafficking and genocide linked to Pope Benedict and Vatican officials, the ITCCS will be sponsoring a series of ongoing protests and occupations of Roman Catholic churches and offices through its affiliates around the world beginning in Easter week, March 24-31, 2013, and continuing indefinitely.

These actions will accompany the legal efforts to bring Joseph Ratzinger and other Vatican officials to trial for their proven complicity in crimes against humanity and criminal conspiracy.

I need not remind you, Mr. President, that under international law and treaties that have been ratified by Italy, you and your government are forbidden from granting such protection to those like Jospeh Ratzinger who have aided and abetted criminal actions, such as ordering Bishops and Cardinals in America and elsewhere to protect known child rapists among their clergy.

Ahh, Here's a link:
    http://itccs.org/
    This group of nutjobs... also believes that the USA is hiding the fact that there is life on Mars, and keeping from us the secret that the US government has the technology of time travel. Also 20 children were assassinated during Hurricane Sandy by the CIA...

I KNEW it!

Well, there have been a lot of things for the Catholic Church to answer for over the past century and more, it would not be amazing for the buck to stop at the top whether or not it would be personal to the current pope. I am glad to have balancing perspectives on this.

Sorry to be offensive if anyone here is Catholic. I think all organized religions are equally dumb if it makes you feel any better. Some of my best friends are deeply religious, so I don't judge.[/QUOTE]

Well I was born and raised catholic , I don't judge people either , they can believe what they want to believe but somehow most of them can't help themselves and bash me for not attending church . As far as the pope goes '' don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya ''

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    Sorry to be offensive if anyone here is Catholic. I think all organized religions are equally dumb if it makes you feel any better. Some of my best friends are deeply religious, so I don't judge.
    Well I was born and raised catholic , I don't judge people either , they can believe what they want to believe but somehow most of them can't help themselves and bash me for not attending church . As far as the pope goes '' don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya ''[/QUOTE]

I am your clone in this respect...

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Fair enough. Sarcasm was my first instinct but it was deeply buried and you are still newbie enough around here that your views aren't established. Had it been Old guy or rb336 it would have been clear.
    I will try to obfuscate my sarcasm in the future

I'm pretty tired of folks taking Pope Benedict for a slacker. He quits his day job, that's Ok with me. He gets to learn a new language, maybe build bird houses upon retirement; cool. Beats having to write a new sermon every sunday.

Catholics = Easy target
    I'm an atheist. Islam is just as crazy as Christianity. There is no atheist afraid to say that.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    I will try to obfuscate my sarcasm in the future

Wouldn't that negate it back to straight humor, then?!

Another great name for a rock band, The Obfuscated Sarcasms. It just rolls off the tongue like a good band name should.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

Another great name for a rock band, The Obfuscated Sarcasms. It just rolls off the tongue like a good band name should.

Yeah, how about the "Veiled Cynicisms"? A fundamentalist islamic girl band.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

Great, someone finally shows up here with an edgimication, uses a 50 point word and they get criticized.

Yeah, how about the "Veiled Cynicisms"? A fundamentalist islamic girl band.

I hope they don't end up like Pussy Riot.

Love the band names!!

Many popular culture and social media outlets and for sure much of the academy [[post-secondary education) will tend to shy away from a direct hit against Islam. Broad spectrum angst relative to Christianity is in vogue in those areas usually.

However some atheists - less politically correct constrained then say the 'multi-cultural' eh-um obligations [[sic) of the academe crowd for example - are more open in their opinions relative to Islam and Christianity.

The difference is the response: Islamists, Muslims, per their state and religious cultural based governance's, ascribed as law, etc. will respond and protest their religions icons, artifacts, culture, clerical or specifically the Koran being maligned, or critiqued.

Catholics = Easy target
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-17-13 at 02:13 PM.

Ummn, no me thinks I'll avoid any band with the word Obfuscated in their name. Hah!
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-17-13 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Many popular culture and social media outlets and for sure much of the academy [[post-secondary education) will tend to shy away from a direct hit against Islam. Broad spectrum angst relative to Christianity is in vogue in those areas usually.
    utter bullshit. give me examples. One of the biggest issues regarding Islam is combating wide-spread Islamophobia, and academics don't generally spend their time insulting religions in general. Academics who DO go after religion generally go after all of them, perhaps focusing more on the dominant religions in their communities, perhaps not. Most often Islam comes under fire for their medieval treatment of women, their extreme punishment regimes etc. etc. In the past ten years, more papers critical of Islam have been published than those critical of Judaism and Christianity combined.

Umm, "Utter Bullsh*t..." that's sorta of a broad statement but putting it aside - onward:

"In the past ten years, more papers critical of Islam have been published than those critical of Judaism and Christianity combined."

I see. Perhaps in some aspects of the academic world the 'published' critique towards Islam is growing but the secular - religion exclusion - world view preference, as written and by way of cultural bias re. Christianity, Catholic included has been present for many decades in some realms of academe.

I did not say insulting religion, specific or general regarding the academe. I was speaking about the dismissive culture of the setting, and views. Islamaphobia remains an issue but more cloistered than the anti-Christian perspective IMO. And yes, with the increased awareness of women's rights world-wide, the more vocal critique is in the treatment of women - especially in the area of women's studies.

These as examples are specific areas of challenge and concern as appose to the "Broad spectrum angst relative to Christianity" that I have personally experienced and observed.

Again my comment was in regards to culture of some colleges campuses etc. which are more tolerant and embracing to 'other' religions in the interest of tolerance and multi-culturalism. Which in itself if not a negative.

But inconsistent in contrast to their broad anti-Christian world view, and landscape where such adherence is considered useless and non-progressive in some halls of high learning.

Note I never said all areas of academe. I navigated this area and continue to do so, so there are areas of tolerance. My main point was in regards to how some atheists IMO are less politically correct; constrained in their views on Islam.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-18-13 at 06:04 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast